Theodore Roosevelt once said...

offroaddave

It's just one term!
lenny said:
I for one have not voted for Bush, and will never vote for a person that believes that a responsible president will collect databases of information about non-threatening citizens. There is a database with the names of people that have attended peace rallies!!! Sounds a lot like the Cold War era of labeling people communists, and isolating people for those beliefs.

Peace rallys?

Everyone here want's peace, I don't doubt that for one second. I don't know anyone personally who does'nt. :confused: But.................................But, But have you seen or been to some of these peace rallys?
Some, not all, but some of the ones iv'e seen are not about peace at all, there about an agenda.(prolly to raise money, but who know's)
communism is fine to practice in america,(free country and all ;) ) But not when you work for the State department.

And i don't think were taliking communism here anyways.

harkinoff

something to do...
Our Government..... I think we are headed for a real tumble.. People are mixing Church and State way to much... If you all remember that is why our fathers left Europe and started the U.S. before the fall over there... Just a thought....

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
RockMonkey said:
:( I remember a day when this thread would have gone for 30 pages by now...

well then.. prepare to be marginalized further, then watched and disallowed.

Interesting thread. The press issue in particular is amazingly long-lived. I still can't believe that the relatively small number of journalists is able to keep putting out the pap that they do. I'm happy for the internet and the chance to get some alternative viewpoints, the blogs of the current war in particular... the coverage and dissemination of information on local levels as well. With it of course comes a lot of propaganda and outright agenda-peddling, but oh well.

I think the main problem is that it takes too much time for most people to really give a **** anymore. Lots of emotions running around in this country, and less rational thought.

offroaddave

It's just one term!
harkinoff said:
Our Government..... I think we are headed for a real tumble.. People are mixing Church and State way to much... If you all remember that is why our fathers left Europe and started the U.S. before the fall over there... Just a thought....

I challenge anyone to show me where our constitution says anything about " separation of church and state ".
We all know that the government can't sponser any one church, But to abandon religon completly? That's surley not what our fore fathers were thinking.

offroaddave

It's just one term!
RockMonkey said:
:( I remember a day when this thread would have gone for 30 pages by now...

Give it a minute.
I just got home. :D To many parties this time of year.
Did i just say to many parties?W T H. :rofl:

harkinoff

something to do...
offroaddave said:
I challenge anyone to show me where our constitution says anything about " separation of church and state ".
We all know that the government can't sponser any one church, But to abandon religon completly? That's surley not what our fore fathers were thinking.

Before you get off on a tangent? I don't know maybe so? Mixing the two in my eyes doesn't give logical guidance in situations...
www.commondreams.org/views04/0805-08.htm

www.newshounds.us/2005/06/04/a_separation_of_church_and_state_conversion.php

www.au.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=5572&abbr=cs_

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
offroaddave said:

Read: Establishment Clause of the First Amendment

The actual saying "seperation of church and state" is more or less a dumbed down version... pretty much comes out and says it. Even though that actual statement was only in letter form.

It's common sense that Church and State is a bad thing for everybody. We all should be allowed to believe and/or disbelieve any thing we want and not have those beliefs dictated politically.

And by definition, if you think otherwise, you should be considered unpatriotic.

offroaddave

It's just one term!
Herzog said:
Read: Establishment Clause of the First Amendment

The actual saying "seperation of church and state" is more or less a dumbed down version... pretty much comes out and says it. Even though that actual statement was only in letter form.

It's common sense that Church and State is a bad thing for everybody. We all should be allowed to believe and/or disbelieve any thing we want and not have those beliefs dictated politically.

And by definition, if you think otherwise, you should be considered unpatriotic.
Yes I agree with that completly, But this country was founded on the belief of god. My understanding of seperation, Is that the state can not force any one religion on the people, But govenment support of multiple beliefs, seems like not a bad thing. :)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
x2. That clause was intended to prevent something like the Church of England adopting a quasi-governmental role, not to banish any mention of any belief anywhere.

How that works out though, is a lot less easy to figure LOL

way2nosty

offroaddave said:
Yes I agree with that completly, But this country was founded on the belief of god. My understanding of seperation, Is that the state can not force any one religion on the people, But govenment support of multiple beliefs, seems like not a bad thing. :)

obviously it is a point of disgreement, but the constitution only says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." there is no direct mention of the words "seperation of Church and state". To fram this, for the most part, I consider myself an Athiest, but I am also a realist, I realize that over 80 percent of the pop of the states IS religous.

The fundamental reasoning behind the religion portion of the first ammendment was to prevent the establishment of a central or state religion, and to prevent the government from interfering in the practice of another. To prevent the atrocities like the Crucades and also the type of church-run government, like Italy and how England used to be.

I beleive that the seperation of church and state should be treated as a non-interference. weigh that against a government BY the people FOR the people which means that the largest opion wins, and you have a quandry - do you eliminate all - which violates the second principal, and also VIOLATES the first ammendment by directly interfering with the practice of religion. Or do you respect one religion, which also VIOLATES the first ammendment. Do you seperate and segregate, which is descriminatory. It's easy to say there is a problem without any suggestion of any way to fix it, eventually either religions fanatacism, or atheism in schools will work.

Its like the whole intellegent design thing, there is no sceintific basis for teaching intellegent design - it's like teaching the law of gravity then teaching but it may also be the law of asdplfkjasd that causes you to be pulled to a larger body. My response to Intellegent design is always
"in infinite combinations, infinite possibilitites exist"