they should do something like this here.

Coco

curious, but why? Just go find some really challenging trails with a vertical wall?

I am just curious what the point is to go in a big trench, and right back out?

B2-Bomber

I would imagine that this is a race of some sort, hence the lemans-style dead-start. I bet after this obstacle there was a course of several other extremely intense, man-made obstacles following it. sort of like enduro-cross, or "hard-enduros" like ISDE, ERZBURG etc.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12904

curious, but why? Just go find some really challenging trails with a vertical wall?

I am just curious what the point is to go in a big trench, and right back out?

Because they have never been to moab :)

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
speaking of something needed here in UT....

This is private rock quarry that pinched out back in the 70's maybe the 80's I don't really know the exact details about the history of it... .but I was there when it got developed into a private wheeling park... pay 30bucks, sign your life away and wheel till your hearts content!!!! It's open 364 days a year, has a trucks/jeep/buggies only section, a private campground, general store, ATV pro shop, lunch/snack shop, power wash station... why has no one built one (or many) here in UT and became a millionaire like others business oriented people in this country? http://www.badlandsoffroad.com/#
af14df_4e40816313caf59b1b28bb6592ec4613.jpg_srz_290_200_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
This is private rock quarry that pinched out back in the 70's maybe the 80's I don't really know the exact details about the history of it... .but I was there when it got developed into a private wheeling park... pay 30bucks, sign your life away and wheel till your hearts content!!!! It's open 364 days a year, has a trucks/jeep/buggies only section, a private campground, general store, ATV pro shop, lunch/snack shop, power wash station... why has no one built one (or many) here in UT and became a millionaire like others business oriented people in this country? http://www.badlandsoffroad.com/#
af14df_4e40816313caf59b1b28bb6592ec4613.jpg_srz_290_200_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

First: Area BFE

Second, there is so much public land in Utah where you CAN wheel to your hearts content for free, not many people would be willing to pay $30 to go to an old quarry. Now if we end up getting more and more trails closed and land restricted, I bet more people would try and do something like Badlands. But ask the owners of BFE, they are not millionaires by any stretch, and I doubt anyone here in Utah would become one as things are right now by opening a private OHV park.

sixstringsteve

That looks like a cool challenge.

We have cool challenges here locally, though they're a little different. If you haven't made it out to the Odl School Rock Crawl, you owe it to yourself to go. It's a great event.

[video=youtube;qyamRodjckA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyamRodjckA[/video]

Last edited:

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
look into the Dresden Breslau Rallye in Poland. The youtube vids are awesome (at work now, or else i'd link some). Similar to ultra4, but still very different. PLUS, they race the massive 6x6, and 8x8 rigs :thumbs:

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
First: Area BFE

Second, there is so much public land in Utah where you CAN wheel to your hearts content for free, not many people would be willing to pay $30 to go to an old quarry. Now if we end up getting more and more trails closed and land restricted, I bet more people would try and do something like Badlands. But ask the owners of BFE, they are not millionaires by any stretch, and I doubt anyone here in Utah would become one as things are right now by opening a private OHV park.

I knew the owners personally, they did become VERY very rich and now they host the TREK racing and KOH qualifiers at the park, not to mention monster truck weekends and music events ...

My main point being that the ideal place would be to have it closer to SLC than ~4hours away like St George and Moab so your close to the masses of people. You have to build an attraction because the demand is there and obviously being in UT and having no legitimate extreme offroad areas or parks close to such a big city is kinda bogus compared to the rest of the country.

While being close to the masses brings the money, yuppies and folks that want to pay a marginal price to have the facilities/amenities while playing in the sport your largely invested in. You would get a lot more people on a daily weekend attendance when you’re so close to the population.

I love BFE, but the is that's they are a Public/private area and do not mandate a charge to enter their property they just asks for voluntary donations (which is great, but a lot of people don't pay), nor do they have showers, RV hookups, an ATV/UTV pro shop, buggy shop, general store and their out in BFE Southern UT...my 2cent & feedback for thought.

Oh and the reason most ohv trails get closed is because they are public, not because they don't get used or do get used... legally you can shut down any public use due to litigations and legality from land use organizations including our own defunct government and private invested groups most likely classified to the common mas as “tree huggers”.

sixstringsteve

I could definitely see that catching on here, especially if you allowed UTVs.

I'd love to see the Old School Rock Crawl event grow to have 6-8 local events a year between Utah and CO.

mombobuggy

I love off road parks. I just drove 4000 miles total to go to two of my favorites. Byrds adventure center in ozark arkansas. and rock creek rec and racing in boonville arkansas. If we had something like that close by I would live there.

B2-Bomber

Since we are on the subject of what "they should do here".....What I think Utah needs is more "rallies", true dual-sport stuff, on-road, off-road, high speed/slow technical, all of it. to weed out the trailer queens. anyone can build a rig has to be trailered (by sacrificing its ability to be road-driven). even for motorcycle stuff Utah doesn't do enough. like the LA/Barstow to Vegas rally. there should be point-to-point rallies with technical trails, timed on-road sections, and even simple fire-roads all mixed together. with the rule that the rig be street registered. (not splitting hairs over lift-laws, mud flaps etc. if it has a license plate.....run it) I think moab would be a perfect venue for something like that