they should do something like this here.

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
Since we are on the subject of what "they should do here".....What I think Utah needs is more "rallies", true dual-sport stuff, on-road, off-road, high speed/slow technical, all of it. to weed out the trailer queens. anyone can build a rig has to be trailered (by sacrificing its ability to be road-driven). even for motorcycle stuff Utah doesn't do enough. like the LA/Barstow to Vegas rally. there should be point-to-point rallies with technical trails, timed on-road sections, and even simple fire-roads all mixed together. with the rule that the rig be street registered. (not splitting hairs over lift-laws, mud flaps etc. if it has a license plate.....run it) I think moab would be a perfect venue for something like that

I agree!!! Street legal is the only requirement.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Puttting aside the obvious issue of land being RIDICULOUS $$$$, where would you put an offroad park? There isn't exactly a lot of land that is privately owned that would be a good place for such a venue. On top of that, nearby property owners would flip out! That would mean going further away from civilization and once you get 1-2 hours away you might as well just make the drive to Moab or StG. I love the idea but there is a reason it hasn't happened yet. If I had piles of money it would be a dream of mine.

B2-Bomber

I agree!!! Street legal is the only requirement.

not street "legal", just street licensed. "legal" would imply that they would be legal. like the LA/Barstow to Vegas motorcycle rally. the rule is that it must just be street licensed. but none of the dirt bikes are "legal" most don't even have taillights, signals, mirrors, mud-flaps or even DOT approved tires. but as long as it is street registered with a license plate attached somewhere you can run

but since portions of the rally are run on open public roads, any non-legal modifications would need to be kept to a minimum or else the Po-Po could nab you, and they would since they would be aware of the rally. meaning that some guy with a full-fledge KOH rig that could easily do the high-speed on-road parts who had some buddy pass it on safety to get a license plate, would then be slowed down by getting pulled over (or even impounded) by the Po-Po thus evening the odds for their obvious advantage in the rough stuff, and keeping the "million-dollar" rigs out of it.

Last edited:

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
Since we are on the subject of what "they should do here".....What I think Utah needs is more "rallies", true dual-sport stuff, on-road, off-road, high speed/slow technical, all of it. to weed out the trailer queens. anyone can build a rig has to be trailered (by sacrificing its ability to be road-driven). even for motorcycle stuff Utah doesn't do enough. like the LA/Barstow to Vegas rally. there should be point-to-point rallies with technical trails, timed on-road sections, and even simple fire-roads all mixed together. with the rule that the rig be street registered. (not splitting hairs over lift-laws, mud flaps etc. if it has a license plate.....run it) I think moab would be a perfect venue for something like that

something thats a cross of Dakar, Ultra4, and the Camel Trophy (back when it was still legit) and the Ultimate Adventure, thats based in Utah would be amazing!!

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
This is a great idea. What should we do about it. Where should our next step be. Should we try to get together and talk about it. All great things started somewere.

B2-Bomber

maybe as a starter-route. integrate part of the pony-express trail, connecting it to cedar fort/5-mile/snakes, onto old-Lincoln highway, up the dirt switchbacks of middle canyon, down the paved switchbacks of butterfield, onto Baccus hwy at the bottom of butterfield, and over to the old rock quarry that people wheel in all the time for some "special stages".

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
i live right by there too actually :)

the bottom pit was blocked off. the top open area is still open, but when i went up there about 2 weeks ago, they had the road blocked off before it crossed the tracks, and then from the other side, we found a way in, but then all the climbs were dug out with a bucket loader, or had piles of dirt in the way.