Things people are born with...

RogueJeepr

Here!
This is a thread for those born with things you never herd of or don't understand. I was born with Nystagmus ::: it's a condition which a person has a slight shaking of the head or eyes. Its actually a nerve problem.
When the body fires commands to parts of the body, some other nerves get partial signals. Think of it as radio interference. There's no fix for it.
I just wanted to give people a heads up when they meet me. Some people don't say anything. Some do, and some are rude about it. About 1 in a few thousand have this.
Im just a normal person trying to live my life the best I can.
Hope this thread helps others with odd things they are born with.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Eye nystagmus also occurs when you drink alcohol and is a primary indicator that police look for when doing a DUI stop.

I was born with ADHD and it affected every part of my life, mostly in a negative way. There are medicines available for treatment and I started taking them when I was 28 and they have helped tremendously. I read up on symptoms and recognized behavior that I had adopted to try and self treat or mask the issues I was having at work which led to me seeking treatment. (I'd crave a Coke every 2-3 hours starting at about 9 AM. Caffeine can counter the ADHD and help calm and relax symptoms.) My parents refused to acknowledge that my issues arose from a medical condition rather than just being a naughty boy. Some people are ashamed or try to hide that they take medicine for something, I share it with everyone because while I did have a good childhood I honestly feel like I could have done much much better in school and in my other interests had I been given the option to be treated.

sixstringsteve

I have ADHD too. It's probably strained a lot of my friendships/relationships, which is sad. I have learned to make it work for me in my career, and it has become a superpower instead of a hinderance to me, but I wish I could change the ADHD symptoms when I'm around people.

Medicine helped me through school a lot, but it doubled my resting heart rate. At one point my resting heart rate was 120 BPM! I haven't taken medicine since then.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I have either atrial fibrillation or tachycardia or they may be one in the same. Eithe way my heart rate will randomly beat out of control. My resting heart rate jumped jumped past 180bpm. I can literally feel it pounding in my chest and then all of a sudden it will completely stop beating for what seems like several seconds and then go back to a different rate or way high again. Doctors never seem to be too worried about it, but it scares my wife to death. She'll have her head on my chest listening. Always scares her when it stops. When I feel it come on I take meds and it's usually back to normal in an hour or so.
There is a procedure to fix it where they go in and remove some nerves and I'll do it sooner or later. Every time I've talked about it with the doctors they have scoffed at my requests to know how much the procedure costs. "Insurance will cover it" is all they ever say, which I think is a total joke, and the major problem with our healthcare system.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
ADHD here too. I just went on meds this past year. Definitely helps me focus, I wish I would have had it through school. additionally, though I wasn't born with it, I also have hypothyroidism, was diagnosed on my mission. It has been a huge battle to deal with. From doctors that don't get it, to meds that don't always work, to all the issues from it, I'd rather deal with the ADHD than the thyroid issues.

sixstringsteve

ADHD here too. I just went on meds this past year. Definitely helps me focus, I wish I would have had it through school. additionally, though I wasn't born with it, I also have hypothyroidism, was diagnosed on my mission. It has been a huge battle to deal with. From doctors that don't get it, to meds that don't always work, to all the issues from it, I'd rather deal with the ADHD than the thyroid issues.

My wife had hypothyrism. She fixed it with a comnination of diet and medication. Now she is off meds and had fixed it she takes a little bit of zinc now. Getting enough sun and vitamin d were also helpful. I don't want to over simplify your problem, but my wife would be happy to chat if you decide you want to. I'm betting you've already explored all this, and tge last thing you need is an armchair cowboy prescribing treatments, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

sixstringsteve

I only used adhd meds for 2 months in college before my resting heart rate went out of control. Those two months were amazing. In three days I got all my work done for the next month. It was the first time I could actually focus on what I chose to focus on. It was nice. My creativity did suffer from the meds, which is why I'm not on them now.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
ADHD checking in, I'm riddled with it. I thought I was getting by without medication, but apparently I've been self-medicating with caffeine :D. I was just getting ready to kick the soda habit too, I might have to rethink that now.