Thinking about selling the 450

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
This year I have ridden my 450 exactly twice. The first time at Caineville and it was, well Caineville is always fun. The second time was on some desert single track and it wasn't very much fun. The rest of the year I have been rockin my TTR and loving some mountain single track. I used to ride the dunes and MX tracks at least once a month. Now with minimal track availability and my fat ass becoming old I am thinking about going a different direction. I am contemplating trading the 450 for a 250 YZ 2t or 4t and trading the TTR for something more ADV rider friendly like a KLR or DR. This would give me a fast, light and fun single track bike that would be good in the mountains and completely adequate at the track on occasion or at the dunes. The KLR/DR would be much better suited for commuting to work and running around town with the occasional trip up the canyon or up into the Uintas.

That said, talk me out of or into selling my longest owned motorized vehicle. I bought my YZ450 in 08 brand new. I am also open to offers to trade for a 2010 or newer KTM 300 straight across:)

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
If you are looking for a bike that is
fast, light and fun single track bike that would be good in the mountains and completely adequate at the track on occasion or at the dunes.

Then there is no better bike than.....

A 300 will have every bit as much power as a 450....just delivered differently. I raced a moto-x on my 300 today and did not have a single 450 pull a hole shot over it.

Last edited:

rholbrook

I too have been thinking about selling my 450 and building a YZ250 smoker. 40 to 50lbs lighter, the same horsepower and just a little less torque. True the power delivery is different but I think if you retard the timing a degree or two, put a different pipe and reeds in it along with doubling the head gasket you can really add some low end power to it. Add a FWW and a rekluse in it and you would have a very good light weight trail bike

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
That's pretty much what I was thinking Russ. Add an 18" rear wheel with a trials tire and a 19" with a knobby and it would be a pretty good swiss army bike. I like the KTM's but I also really love Yamaha. The fact that I can get an 05 YZ 250 for $2K to $3K is really tempting. I just don't know if I'm being too nostalgic about the 2T. There is a reason I switched back when I did but I was riding differently then too. It's all Steve's fault. I had too much fun on his Kawi!!! It started all these bad thoughts about smokers.

rholbrook

05 is the first yr of the aluminum frame. Motors are the same I think from 99 and the only diff is the frame in 05 and the dual chamber forks but I don't remember what year that changed. I have actually been putting together a parts list. If I don't do it this winter I will for sure next. Put the 250 and 450 side by side and just move them 10 feet. Huge difference. I think the HP to weight ratio now days is about 3-4 lbs is worth 1 HP. That being said there will be almost 30lbs on a YZ450 and 50lbs on a WR450. That adds up at the end of the day having to move that weight around You can get a 35 watt stator with a lighting coil for around $150 for those long rides that run into the evening

trackion can be an issue but if you retard the timing I think you can help with some of that as well as the rekluse. I did have an 18" wheel on my list as well

D

Deleted member 12904

So I picked up a 05 yz250 earlier this year that I ended up selling because it really wasn't what I thought it would be. My idea was really similar to what you guys are thinking. The yz was light fast nimble but also exhausting to ride. Any long rides I would take the 300lb pig drz because even with the extra weight it took far less energy to ride. I'm thinking my next bike will be a wr450 or what ever 500ish ktm thumper I find a good deal on. I just don't find the extra weight to be an issue.

rholbrook

So I picked up a 05 yz250 earlier this year that I ended up selling because it really wasn't what I thought it would be. My idea was really similar to what you guys are thinking. The yz was light fast nimble but also exhausting to ride. Any long rides I would take the 300lb pig drz because even with the extra weight it took far less energy to ride. I'm thinking my next bike will be a wr450 or what ever 500ish ktm thumper I find a good deal on. I just don't find the extra weight to be an issue.
Too bad, we could have worked something out. I have the best running WR out there, or so I have been told many times. A stock 250 though very capable for the trail is a track bike. You have to make it a great trail bike. The KTM is the one to shoot for but I like the dependability of a Yamaha. All my buddies that ride KTM's are always putting pistons, rings and seals in them annually. Cost of ownership on a KTM is too high.

I just want to change my oil every couple of rides.

D

Deleted member 12904

I did a 13 oz ffw and dropped a tooth on the front. It worked great on the trail just alot more shifting and keeping it on the pipe worked my but.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Russ I'm getting the feeling we are on the same page here:) KTM's are pretty and they come with some cool parts but I think they should for what they cost. I can buy a Yz and build it to my specs for less than a 300. Plus I already have all this blue gear that would clash with an orange bike.

I guess what I should do is call Trevor up an go riding with him so I can try his bike since he has almost exactly what I am thinking of building.
Paging Trevor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

rholbrook

Trevor is missing the Rekluse, timing change and an FMF Fatty pipe and reeds. From there he needs to add another base gasket to the head to move those ports up a tiny bit as well as take 10 off of the head. For tight trails a 250 would rock with this setup. I have done all the research and if that doesnt work, Yamaha sells a 300 kit for it but I don't think you would need it. A 450 has very usable power from idle on up. A 250 can tend to be pipey but you just need to control it and spread it out more. I understand what Trevor is saying but at the same time, I know it can be modified to work. The weight difference is all up high too. A 4T has so much more mas up high. I have been looking for some old guy who bought a 250 and is afraid of it, rode it a couple of times and parked it.

sixstringsteve

It's all Steve's fault. I had too much fun on his Kawi!!! It started all these bad thoughts about smokers.

Guitly. :D

I did warn you though...

Trevor's bike is VERY trail-friendly. This thread is making me miss my old bike. Maybe Benjy will want to sell you my old KDX hybrid.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I agree with deviant on the MX bikes beating you to death part. I've tried to turn several MX bikes into trail bikes with mixed results--some good some bad. I personally think you're going to spend the same kind of money or more prepping a later model MX bike to be at the same level as the KTM, Gas Gas, Husqvarna etc cross country bikes. Do you need to be at that level? Or will a lightly modded YZ do what you need it to? That's anyones guess.

From what I found over the years MX suspension and me don't get along whatsoever on the trail no matter where I have the clickers or oil level set. I think professional suspension valving comes before anything else. Complete re-valve and likely springs. Arm pump, rattling teeth out, deflecting every single rock on the trail---yeah I'm good. $400+

Lighting coil. All mx bikes lack one and typically their flywheel is so small adding a coil is either impossible or you're only getting ~30w max. Not sure about options for the YZ but My CR had a (so called) 50w coil on it and its headlight was almost as bright as a candle at low speeds. $100+ for lightning coils.

Gearing. Close ratios and lowish torque make it difficult to find gearing that works well everywhere. For example what works well on the tight single track does not work well on fire roads or open desert. Can you deal with it? Probably.. I did but it does get old after awhile. WR gears fit the YZ which makes it almost as nice as the 6 speeds.

I think the Rekluse would be the answer for gearing $400+.

18" wheels are about $150-$200 used.

FWW- $100

Oversized fuel tanks (because 1.9 gallons doesn't cut it) add another $200.

Sorry if I sound like a broken record.. I'll be watching this thread close. Completely contradicting to what i just said I've been thinking about getting another KX250 and turning it into a trail bike. Ready to smell premix again :greg:

Take this all with a grain of salt. The best rider I know rides a stock 02 CR and never complains about suspension or anything else for that matter lol

sixstringsteve

I rode a KX250 that I absolutely loved, but the short ratio of the trans (and the 5-speed) was a deal-breaker for me. I'd love an older KTM EXC 200 or 250.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
So, I have a 250 2t that is pretty much new... ;-)....

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

You can't sell it until you let me ride it. That was the deal right?

I really need to ride a YZ 250 before I make any decisions. You guys all make valid points, some of which make more difference to me than others. Bikes and bike setup is so arbitrary. The biggest decision I need to make is if I am done riding tracks and jumping and that whole deal. I have done so little of it this year that I am kind of over it. My kids aren't and that is holding me back from just building a single track only bike. Until I decide what my riding for the next few years is going to consist of I can't make any bike decisions.

Tonkaman

My biggest issue with 2T is being limited on fuel range and difficulty refueling in an emergency. I love my CRF450R that I set up for trails

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I was unaware that this 450 thread had actually become a 2t thread..

just in case anyone is unclear about where I stand, I currently have 6 Yamaha 2t bikes, and 1 4t Yamaha (for my wife, or any other GIRL to ride)

If I need to help convince you, I am happy to do a little ride with you :D