GMC / Chevy Thinking of picking up a gov. Blazer diesel

JTCJMAN

SmilesOnTheRocks
I just got the chance to buy an 84 K5 blazer with the diesel engine that someone bought two of at an auction. I'm curious about the diesel engines in those blazers and wonder if anyone knows anything about them. The blazer will cost me $800. I'm going to check it out later today to look the whole thing over but wanted to get some input before making a decision. Any advise would be great. Thanks guys.

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
MPG Kings... cost you less to drive it than a Toy/SUzuki... True story.

I like em, they are utilitarian, reliable (basically a Detroit diesel design, sorta) and consistent.

"worn out" is usually when your mpg drops to 17-18 mpg.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I always thought that they were 1-ton axles with a detroit in the rear, but I have never looked to close so I am probably wrong

You are. :D 1/2t only on the Blazers... which do have special rims though. I want to say they're 8" wide? I forget, but they are specific to the military deals.

And they have the rear bumper I really need for my Blazer. :(

Swoop69

I have been told the front springs are stiffer, due to the increased weight of the engine... we had a diesel burb growing up, and it was guttless! but i remember my dad, so proud when he got 26 mpg!

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
22 mpg is not uncommon with them, and yes they make a bolt-on turbo upgrade for them. My buddy has the 6.2 diesel Burb, he recently added the turbo and mpg went up even more.

Last edited:

JTCJMAN

SmilesOnTheRocks
Thanks everyone for your input. After taking a closer look at the blazer I noticed it is missing a lot of parts. I think it may have been used as a donor vehicle. It isn't running and looks like it would take more time than would be worth to just buy a decent regular non-army colored one. I'm going to pass on this one.

2INSANE

And they have the rear bumper I really need for my Blazer. :(

I've been searching old threads and saw your post. I have a m1009 rear bumper for sale if your interested. If you already don't have one by now... Do you even still have a blazer? Let me know via pm.

2INSANE

Both my 83 3/4 ton long bed truck and 84 M1009 Blazer have the 6.2l diesel. The civilian comes with a 12v system and the military has a 24v system with 2 HD alternators. I like the 24v system mainly because it heats up the glow plugs faster and if your planning on running a bunch of lights and electrical equip like i am it's a nice thing to have. Also if you ever break anything on the trail you can use HD jumper cables and wield right off of the 24v system with a stick. The 6.2 with a stock suspension and 31" tires average 18 mpg city and 26 mpg Hwy. They are indeed gutless but they also have more torque then the 350 gas. Low mile motors from Boyce run about $900 bones so feel free to abuse the 6.2! Banks turbo kit bolts right on and adds around 40% HP(so it is said) also the military did weight reductions on the blazer, no A/C, carpet, manual windows, no radio, to name a few. They also USUALLY come stock with CB and communication antenna mounts on the rear side panels but they tend to hit obstructions and then get removed anyhow. I'm kinda an Armageddon freak. The military 6.2 has no computer and runs off of heat and compression. I was once on top of Farmington Peak in my pickup at 2am during the spring and the alternator went totally out and the motor still purred like a champ:) no lights though had to duck tape 2 mini mag lights on the center emblem so I could see going back down the mountain. Lol! If anyone ever plans on buying a M1009 Military blazer I would recommend doing a very good inspection on the frame and axle housing. The military liked to throw them out of airplanes for some reason lol! Also if you can't find one locally, Boyce Equipment sells the 1 ton truck and sometimes the blazer.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Both my 83 3/4 ton long bed truck and 84 M1009 Blazer have the 6.2l diesel. The civilian comes with a 12v system and the military has a 24v system with 2 HD alternators. I like the 24v system mainly because it heats up the glow plugs faster and if your planning on running a bunch of lights and electrical equip like i am it's a nice thing to have. Also if you ever break anything on the trail you can use HD jumper cables and wield right off of the 24v system with a stick. The 6.2 with a stock suspension and 31" tires average 18 mpg city and 26 mpg Hwy. They are indeed gutless but they also have more torque then the 350 gas. Low mile motors from Boyce run about $900 bones so feel free to abuse the 6.2! Banks turbo kit bolts right on and adds around 40% HP(so it is said) also the military did weight reductions on the blazer, no A/C, carpet, manual windows, no radio, to name a few. They also USUALLY come stock with CB and communication antenna mounts on the rear side panels but they tend to hit obstructions and then get removed anyhow. I'm kinda an Armageddon freak. The military 6.2 has no computer and runs off of heat and compression. I was once on top of Farmington Peak in my pickup at 2am during the spring and the alternator went totally out and the motor still purred like a champ:) no lights though had to duck tape 2 mini mag lights on the center emblem so I could see going back down the mountain. Lol! If anyone ever plans on buying a M1009 Military blazer I would recommend doing a very good inspection on the frame and axle housing. The military liked to throw them out of airplanes for some reason lol!

That's some great info, my buddy keeps trying to convince me to buy one for a tow rig and I have peeked at the classifieds on occasion, I just might do it soon. He has the Banks turbo on his 88 Suburban and it is night and day, I'm going to be putting together an intercooler setup for him next month so it runs cooler and should pick up another 10hp or so.

2INSANE

That's some great info, my buddy keeps trying to convince me to buy one for a tow rig and I have peeked at the classifieds on occasion, I just might do it soon. He has the Banks turbo on his 88 Suburban and it is night and day, I'm going to be putting together an intercooler setup for him next month so it runs cooler and should pick up another 10hp or so.

Sweet! You should keep us posted on the intercooler build with tech and pics:) I will be selling my 3/4 ton 6.2 truck in the near future. I am planning on turning it back to stock suspension. Or sell with the 6" lift for the right price.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Sweet! You should keep us posted on the intercooler build with tech and pics:) I will be selling my 3/4 ton 6.2 truck in the near future. I am planning on turning it back to stock suspension. Or sell with the 6" lift for the right price.

I wouldn't ever buy a lifted truck or lift the truck I buy, they get bad enough mpg stock.