Thoughts on 1996 kdx 200

zukijames

I've read that they are an amazing trail bike. I already have a 1997 xr250. I've read alot of mixed reviews comparing kdx and xr as trail bikes.

the reviews do say the kdx is a better hare scramble bike then the xr..

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
My first decent bike was a 97 KDX200. I rode it for years and it proved very bulletproof and it was a hoot on the trail. I loved that bike and still wish I had it. The forks are leave a bit to be desired. They're dated and under sprung.. I installed .44 springs in mine and it worked ok. If I did it again I'd probably swap out the frontend for later KX forks (or other) and have them re-valved/sprung for trail use. An aftermarket exhaust really wakes the engine up and drops quite a bit of weight.

the reviews do say the kdx is a better hare scramble bike then the xr..

I think comparing the two is apples vs. oranges but Yeah I'd agree the KDX would be a better scramble bike.

boogie_4wheel

I spent a few hours on a 90-something KDX 250 (it was a 250 if I remember correctly). A majority of my riding was in the sand. I wouldn't say it is a great trail bike, especially when compared to a 4 stroke of similar displacement. It would depend on the type of riding...

Sand washes were a pain; we were riding in the Page, Az/Big Water, Ut area, zigzagging around. It was typical 2-stroke, nothing, nothing, then you get it on the pipe and it explodes with power, the rearend getting loose. Being in the sand would just choke it unless you revved. It had next to no power on the bottom. I felt like a jackass being the oddball in a group of 4 strokes. Everyone else would tractor up a hill or away from a turn, and I had to get a lower gear and wind it up which resulted in relocating a few pounds of sand/rock. Tighter trails it sucked, more open stuff was a blast though. Dunes, open washes, stuff you could be in 3rd gear or higher, the bike shined. It was fast. You just gotta rev it to make power. It may have better manners on harder ground.

It will out handle and out run the XR, but the XR has it beat in the slow stuff. For my XR4, there is absolutely no way I would swap it for a KDX of any size.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

i much prefer the kdx 220 over the 200. Lots more low-end grunt. Both can be tuned to do just about whatever you want, except rock crawl at walking speeds. For that type of riding, and XR or trials bike is your best bet.