Thoughts on 2002-2004 WJ... Will most likely (and hopefully shortly) be my new rig

Troop92

They actually made WJ's with an open 44 as well as a vari-lok version with a different carrier. If you end up with the v8 model look for one with the part time transfer case, better mpg and easier to install lockers.

Yeah, I've seen/test driven both. I'm torn, honestly. I like that on the QuadraDrive you have a front limited... Almost makes me want to get one for that, then swap in an rear open axle down the road. And the 242 case (with the 2wd setting) can be swapped into a QD model, nearly plug and play.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
We have an 02 Overland with the HO motor. We got it with 77K miles from an old retired guy. We have almost doubled the mileage since we drive it all over the place including some mild Moab wheeling. I have had to swap out the radiator (royal pain), replace the hydraulic fan hose, and both front window regulators. Other than that its been a very nice rig. I have a 242 sitting in the garage in case the tcase gives me trouble.

Troop92

Does the Quadra-drive t-case have a lock setting in 4hi & 4 low? Why is it better/worse than the 242 (2hi,4full,4hi,n,4lo)?

QD has 4full, neutral, and 4lo 50/50 lock.

SelecTrak (242) has 2hi, 4full, 4hi 50/50, neutral, and 4lo 50/50.

Not better or worse, just more options. You swap in the 242, and retain the limited slips - best of both worlds.

We have an 02 Overland with the HO motor.

I'm actually trying to find an 02-04 Overland. Good to hear you've liked it.

Last edited:

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
After driving our new expedition on trails, it has almost made me miss the WJ on trails. We had the quatra track, and it wasn't until now I realize how good itvwas to have.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
QD has 4full, neutral, and 4lo 50/50 lock.

SelecTrak (242) has 2hi, 4full, 4hi 50/50, neutral, and 4lo 50/50.

Not better or worse, just more options. You swap in the 242, and retain the limited slips - best of both worlds.

I'm actually trying to find an 02-04 Overland. Good to hear you've liked it.

The vari-lok starts to have issues once you get into tires bigger than 32's, but it sounds like you plan to stay with 31 or 32 inch tires. If I were to do a mild build on a WJ I would install the OME springs and shocks with 235/85r16 tires.

Troop92

The vari-lok starts to have issues once you get into tires bigger than 32's, but it sounds like you plan to stay with 31 or 32 inch tires. If I were to do a mild build on a WJ I would install the OME springs and shocks with 235/85r16 tires.

You're right, I don't plan to go bigger than 32s. This isn't a mud-bogging truck on 40s... Though if I end up with a limited (hopefully Overland) trim, I'll have 17" rims, and replacing those won't be in the budget for a while.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
You're right, I don't plan to go bigger than 32s. This isn't a mud-bogging truck on 40s... Though if I end up with a limited (hopefully Overland) trim, I'll have 17" rims, and replacing those won't be in the budget for a while.

I've got a set of chrome wheels from our WJ that need to be sold. They are 17", and wider than stock.. but I am not sure how wide.
not a very good pic, but it does prove the wheels superiority and ability to rescue a toyota :)
IMG_6672.JPG

Troop92

I've got a set of chrome wheels from our WJ that need to be sold. They are 17", and wider than stock.. but I am not sure how wide.
not a very good pic, but it does prove the wheels superiority and ability to rescue a toyota :)
View attachment 96130

Nice, I've seen similar, not a bad design. I should probably get a wj before the rims... or is that just more initiative to buy a wj? Haha.

I remember reading that story (from the above picture), cool stuff. Poor Toyota. ;)

Jesser04

Did you ever go look at the one on sugar st? Come to find out the owner is my customer him and his wife are going on a mission and don't want it to sit while there gone. He has two for sale both are 4.7's one has a supercharger on it both are under 5000.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ

You can find used sets of 16 inch stock wheels for under $100, or throw on some stock JK wheels and be ahead of the game. Chrome on a WJ just screams mall crawler.

X1994J

XJ's Bring the Uni-Suck
I picked this one up last week for 3400. Small lift and 31's. I wouldn't even look at the v8's. It's in decent shape with 155k on the clock.