Thoughts on AWD

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Keep your crawler, you have way too much time & money invested. Save up for a decent bike... those Christini bikes are amazing, but.... why would you spend that much money on a bike if you're a new rider?

IMO... (and no offense intended) there is no reason to buy a bike like that, when your skill level won't be able to keep up. Work your way up to a better bike over time.

Cascadia

Undecided
You can wheel year round. You can't dirtbike year round, around here at least. There's nothing around here that we bike that would need an awd bike.

zukijames

Some of the loose rock climbs a laid mine down on and never made to the top yesterday sure would have helped to have awd I get what your sayin though.

The street legal part would be nice since the rover gets bad gas mileage and wears bias Baja claws real fast.

i couldn't really justify spending that kinda money on a bike though and I'm sure I'd regret selling the crawler.. But rover can take me on most trails..

was mostly just curious if anyone knew much about awd bikes .
Talking about it makes me wants go ride

guess i will go do some laps around the house on the xr

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Some of the loose rock climbs a laid mine down on and never made to the top yesterday sure would have helped to have awd I get what your sayin though...

Improve your skills and bike before dropping $8k on something crazy!

Technique goes MUCH further than the latest & greatest bikes. Learn what YOU need to do, in order to make that climb. Stand up, keep your legs STRAIGHT, get plenty of momentum up and stay smooth on the throttle.

A trials tire may help, better gearing, tuned suspension, etc, etc... there is probably plenty you can do to the bike to make it better.

I've ridden with a guy that had the newest, nicest bike... and he still couldn't ride very well. ;)

jentzschman

Price seems pretty reasonable considering the drastic engineering feat. New KTM's are pushing that same price aren't they?

I think if it is something you want to do then you should do it. You only live once (per say). However I agree with Caleb, keep the rig, save for the bike. Unless you are 100% done with crawling. If you do keep the rig, ya it will suck, but maybe that "cooing off period" will help you decide either way.

jentzschman

Found this. More like traction control/limited slip. Front drive is not powering the front wheel all the time.

[video=youtube;jZvt8Pp1ABg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jZvt8Pp1ABg#![/video]

sixstringsteve

I've ridden with a guy that had the newest, nicest bike... and he still couldn't ride very well. ;)

Hey, I read that!. Besides, my bike isn't the newest or the nicest. ;)

x2 on the skill. Dirt biking takes 10x longer to learn than crawling (in my opinion). Ride with people who are better than you, that's the best way to learn in my opinion.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
All the reviews I read on the AWD bikes said they weren't as impressed as they expected. Hill climbs your back tire has all the weight and traction. FWD didn't help much according to the magazine guys. The biggest advantage was log crossings.

On a side note, TW stands for totally worthless. They have no power, no suspension and they handle like crap:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonkaman

I wish the 250 was a 4 stroke I think a 450 would be a lot for me to handle on the single track

man I can't wait for af to open

I know far too many people who buy 250 4t and regret not getting the 450 from the start. Newer 4 strokes power delivery is so smooth it never jumps out of your hands unless you want it to. Go find a bike that less than 8 years old and your skill will automatically improve

sixstringsteve

In my opinion, your xr200 is the perfect bike for AF canyon. Just keep riding more and more. Like Greg said, a new bike won't make you a better rider. An xr200 has plenty of power for single track. Just be patient and remember that it's a steep learning curve and it takes a long time to master riding, especially on trails like the one above forest lake.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
In regards to the Christini bikes, I've seen one up close, and they are cool no doubt. However, nobody has brought up maintenance yet. Most dirtbike owners don't maintain their machines as well as they should to begin with. With all of the additional moving parts on an AWD bike, you had better be on your game to keep the reliability up.

zukijames

Lol good point . Even fixing my bike would probably make me better .

bent bars, fork seals are done (dings in shafts) so they don't hold pressure or oil

rear coil over is leaky

It's not bad on single track but at speeds it blows