Thoughts on AWD

Caleb

I've ridden with a guy that had the newest, nicest bike... and he still couldn't ride very well. ;)

Wait a minute...this is my motto I live by. Buy a newer nicer bike and I'll be a better rider. If I suck still, blame it on the front tire :p

I've always thought a Christini would be a cool toy to have. However, I think it would take some serious getting used to. I was thinking about this yesterday as I was up Hobble Creek riding. Quite often you find yourself riding along in a rut. Not usually that big of a deal, but if you notice how often your front tire hits the walls of that rut and just bounces off, you'll realize it's a lot. If you had a Christini, when that front tire hits the side of the rut, it won't just deflect, it's going to pop the front tire up because it's going to want to climb. There's many cases like that, that I think it would be annoying. I think you would eventually change your riding style and learn to take advantage of the quirks, but until then, I think it would be frustrating. Another thing is how many guys are always trying to get a light bike? Now you're going to throw an entire additional drive system on to already fairly heavy bikes and pay an extra $4500 for it. Going the opposite direction I would think.

zukijames

In regards to the Christini bikes, I've seen one up close, and they are cool no doubt. However, nobody has brought up maintenance yet. Most dirtbike owners don't maintain their machines as well as they should to begin with. With all of the additional moving parts on an AWD bike, you had better be on your game to keep the reliability up.

I was kinda curious about that!

another thing is lately I lay my bike down once a trip it would suck to get a bike that nice and expensive and ruin it

I need a new rear sprocket and I might gear it up. It's really low geared so I can get away with slowing down a lot but other times when momentum is needed I'm so used to going slow I don't have the balls to just roll through things