Thoughts on Commandos

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
Just wondering what people think about Jeepster Commandos. I love them, but you don't hear much about them. I am thinking very hard about buying one, anything special I need to know or look out for. Also, what is a resonable price for one in good shape?

I found a decked out one, now I need to convince the wife.

Caleb

I think they are way sweet...I think a lot of guys dont build them cause there isn't nearly as many as there are CJs...also for the common person that wants bolt on parts they are kinda hard to find parts for...something else thats kinda cool is that if you want you can bolt a CJ clip right on (or just about) and then IMO they look way awesome...Miatre on this board did this, I dont know if he still has his Jeepster or not but it was a pretty sweet one...I bet het could give you some good info about them...I have no idea s to value...the one in the for sale forum seems to be a pretty good deal though...

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I have been driving mine for the last 3 days ;) I love the lack of power steering, power brakes, rattlely, lack of heater... :rofl: :rofl:

One of the best scores I have had.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
greenjeep said:
I was thinking late 60s, before they became "scoutish."

The 66-71 are the best as far as grille design and actually looking like a jeep.
They look like a scout when amc bought them 72-73

67-71 are Jeepster Commandos and 72-73 are Commandos.

wheelbase 66-71 101"
72-73 104"

The frames were the thrid strongest in the industry back in there day.

That being said the frames on the 66-71 are weaker and of a different design from the firewall forward. The 72-73 frame is the same as a 72-75 CJ from the firewall forward.

As far as aftermarket support there is basisaly none, but the fuel system and guages and some wiring is shared with cheeroke's of the same time period.

the fuel tank is the same as 72-75 CJ.
The windshield doesn't fold down but can be made to with some work.

Thats all I can think of without a specific question.

Basiclly THEY SUCK. :eek:

PROUD OWNER OF A 67/73/CUSTOM :rofl:

Last edited:

Craig S

Commando
Commandos Rule! They have the style that makes them classic. I have two of them. Paid less than $100 for each. Both are the Jeepster version. The later ones have a different front end. The Jeepster is the one to have.

The one I'm driving now is equiped as follows:

8 point cage
Vortec V6
Turbo 350
Atlas
D 60s
37" Crawlers
Walker Bead Locks
Seats 4
Howe Ram Assist Steering
103" Wheel Base
CJ front Clip & Hood

I like the Commando hood & clip better for looks, but the CJ is better for visability.

Now lets go wheel !!!!!

Craig

74cruzah

They rule, my first car was a 67 convertible that was sweet. Coolest car in town, and a decent 4x4. I sold it when I got engaged, probably the biggest mistake I have ever made.

blueblaze

If I was to lose the blazer I would get me a commando and put a YJ clip on it. There's one I see on my way to work everyday, the more I see it the more I want one. Just my 2 cent. :D

James K

NO, I'm always like this
blueblaze said:
If I was to lose the blazer I would get me a commando and put a YJ clip on it. There's one I see on my way to work everyday, the more I see it the more I want one. Just my 2 cent. :D

You go to work down 3200?

Caleb

James K said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Langhing with you....................honest :D

thats funny casue when he said yellow and orange I though, "gee, that sounds like James' jeepster"...I didn;t know you ahd a YJ clip on it though...:cool:

MattL

Nope commandos suck.
I suggest that you dont buy one.
matter of fact never think again of buying one.

to much time and money.

but then again if you want to be different then be my guest. I like mine but under budget to buy a house. Once that is done lord oh lord ill be doing mine completely different.
if you have questions feel free to ask. I think James is the guy that would probably know best bout them on this board.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
supergper said:
thats funny casue when he said yellow and orange I though, "gee, that sounds like James' jeepster"...I didn;t know you ahd a YJ clip on it though...:cool:

I do have a buddy whose has a YJ front clip aaaaaaaand LT1, and coilover front suspension we did last winter :D

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
Thanks for all your input. If I do get this Commando, cross your fingers for me, I'm sure I will getting in touch with James.

Additional input is welcome. Thanks guys.