Thoughts on radon

blznnp

i have a neighbor that paid someone to mitigate their radon level - haven't seen what they did on the inside, but the outside is just a section of rain gutter running up the center up their house to the roof. I think they paid a few thousand dollars, but not sure. I would also like to hear about some companies that people have used, and what they paid. We had ours tested and it was barely outside of the safe range....
When did you have it tested. The inspector told us that levels are usually higher in the winter, due to windows not being open or fans being used. So he said that he wanted it either very low, or over 4. That way when you give the seller the info, they can't say its good when its at 3.8 or so, cause then in the winter it would be over.

Kirk

I'm not sure when I did it. We have central air (which I believe is designed to work with all the windows closed), and usally keep our windows closed because wife has allergies - not sure the season would have affected ours - but I'm going to test ours again and see what it shows. I will look into do-it-yourself options first.......

capt scotty

Just keep in mind, if the guy testing for Radon also does mitigation....He will find Radon and try to sell you the mitigation. I would strongly suggest a company or inspector that only does testing.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Most homes in Utah are over the normal limit for radon. I would not move into a house with high levels of radon without a mitigation system.

Every year I have my students do random tests in their homes and it is surprising how high some of them get.

Radon is VERY dangerous stuff to live with.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
1 in 3 homes in Utah have high radon amounts.
2nd leading cause of lung cancer.
a 20 pCi/l reading is equal to smoking 1 pack of cigarettes per day!!!

It comes from decaying Uranium and Utah has/had a lot of Uranium so……….

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Is there a way for me to test my radon, without actually paying a company to come test it? :) (triggered by the "random student testing every year" comment...)

blznnp

Most homes in Utah are over the normal limit for radon. I would not move into a house with high levels of radon without a mitigation system.

Every year I have my students do random tests in their homes and it is surprising how high some of them get.

Radon is VERY dangerous stuff to live with.
I was waiting to see if you were gonna respond. I figured out of anyone you would be one of the most knowledgable about it.

the system is gonna cost $1280 or so, and we agreed to pay half. They were not budging on more than half, mainly cause they came down in price, are leaving brand new fridges, other expensive items, and the price per sq ft is good. But at least the system is going in before we move in.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Test kits are cheap.

You can order a Radon test kit by going to the following link: www.radon.utah.gov and click on “Order a Test Kit” on the right hand side or call toll free at: 1-800-458-0145.

larrybenny

larrybenny
Home radon tests kits (DIY) are available from Home Depot or Lowes. $20. Ours tested a little over during the winter with the basement all closed off. Tested way under during the summer when the basement door is open and a fan is blowing cool air upstairs.