Tire balancing compounds

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
...Are they worth it? Do they actually work for our larger, 39", tires? Where to buy? How do I know how much I need? What are the better brands?

Badger

I am the Brute squad
you will get a different answer from everybody on this one.some say they work while others say it doesn't.

if you want to test the theory go to the local wal-mart or sports store and buy some airsoft pellets and pour a hand full into each tire.you figure how much is a tire usually out a couple of grams,maybe an ounce or four for the really bad ones.i have been told a golf ball or two will work as well .they also tend to make people wonder what the noise is when you stop at a street light.

i had airsoft pellets in my 36" IROKs and it seemed to work but i never really had it on the road for long hauls.

when ever this comes up i bring up the best solution there is

Centramatic wheel balancers

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
you will get a different answer from everybody on this one.some say they work while others say it doesn't.

if you want to test the theory go to the local wal-mart or sports store and buy some airsoft pellets and pour a hand full into each tire.you figure how much is a tire usually out a couple of grams,maybe an ounce or four for the really bad ones.i have been told a golf ball or two will work as well .they also tend to make people wonder what the noise is when you stop at a street light.

i had airsoft pellets in my 36" IROKs and it seemed to work but i never really had it on the road for long hauls.

when ever this comes up i bring up the best solution there is

Centramatic wheel balancers

I've seen you pimp those Centramtics before; do you have any personal experience with them? $200 is kinda pricy...

DevinB

I like traffic lights
I used this chart to gauge how much weight I would need, then I used airsoft pellets with my 35" BFG mudders. Didn't work at all, in fact it made them worse. I now get a horrible shimmy at ~45mph that I didn't have before.

Meat_

Banned
I thought my SX's were just nice, turns out they have Equal in them. Remember when I drove from Mother in law hill out to Dead Horse and then around? I was doing 70mph and it was perfectly smooth.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I thought my SX's were just nice, turns out they have Equal in them. Remember when I drove from Mother in law hill out to Dead Horse and then around? I was doing 70mph and it was perfectly smooth.

Anyone on here carry it and how much? Looks like I need 6-8 oz per tire (according to their chart)?

Badger

I am the Brute squad
I've seen you pimp those Centramtics before; do you have any personal experience with them? $200 is kinda pricy...

some one i know bought a set and swears by them know.would i ever buy them ? maybe for my tow rig but i don't think i would buy a set for a vehicle that will never really touch pavement but once or twice a year.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
some one i know bought a set and swears by them know.would i ever buy them ? maybe for my tow rig but i don't think i would buy a set for a vehicle that will never really touch pavement but once or twice a year.

Well my rig is on pavement a lot... Looks like as long as I have a 8 on 6.5 setup, I can use these. But that's a lot of balances to equal $200.. I'll have to give it some thought...

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member

that's for sure. you get a different answer from everyone you ask.

if you want to test the theory go to the local wal-mart or sports store and buy some airsoft pellets and pour a hand full into each tire.you figure how much is a tire usually out a couple of grams,maybe an ounce or four for the really bad ones.

I've actually got some balance stuff...I forget who the mfg is, but I just haven't gone through the trouble of installing it. It was given to me by the mfg rep. I would never spend money on it. That is my opinion right now, but if I do ever get around to actually trying it, I'll let you know if my opinion changes.

i have been told a golf ball or two will work as well .they also tend to make people wonder what the noise is when you stop at a street light.

have you ever looked at a tire that has run with golf balls in it? it trashes the inner liner badly. This is a very bad recommendation.

Last edited:

sbr

we all have just poured copper bb's in our tires and they seem to work good. None of us drive on the streets really but when we do we dont get any vibrations out of it.

Meat_

Banned
Anyone on here carry it and how much? Looks like I need 6-8 oz per tire (according to their chart)?

While not as cheap as bb's they're about the same as having your tires balanced... most tire shops should have it. Here is the first place that popped up in google. I would think that bb's and lead shot would both have to wear the tire at least some on the inside.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
While not as cheap as bb's they're about the same as having your tires balanced... most tire shops should have it. Here is the first place that popped up in google. I would think that bb's and lead shot would both have to wear the tire at least some on the inside.

Sounds like something to try... I'll have to stop in my local Les Schwab and see if they have it or a local tire supply place like Myers?

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
I did this with airsoft pellets too and it brought the suck to a whole new level. maybe I need less weight per tire???

according to the claims of the folks who make the commercial stuff (not talking about bbs, airsoft, etc), the amount of weight shouldn't make that much difference (I suppose it is possible to get too much in there). If it works the way they say, the weight will distribute itself as necessary to 'balance' the tire.

Several things to consider. Most of the manufacturers of these products say you should use bead lubricant sparingly, as it can contaminate the balancing agent making it clump. Also, any water in the tire can clump the product as well. I think you'd be better off making sure you have a concentric mount of the tires to the wheels.

The other thing to consider of course, is what about the balance of the wheel? I have measured commercial truck wheels, and found the radial runout to be quite bad. These were brand new wheels from a very reputable wheel mfg.

Of course, if these balance products work as advertised, the wheel and tire will be balanced together, so it becomes a mute point.

Again, I'm a skeptic (sp?), so I really need to install this stuff and try it myself.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I got into a BIG argument with a tire expert LOL when I started looking into 19.5's.

While he insisted, quite forcefully, that his $60/wheel stuff was very, VERY different in principle from BB's, he was unable to quite elucidate further.

"So... is your stuff little round plastic balls?"
"Yeah."
" They weigh about the same as a handful of bb's, or a slightly bigger handful of Airsoft pellets??"
" YES, but you can't just put that sh*t in your wheel. It's not the same, dude. Look, argue all you want, I've been doing this for a looooong time."
"Sweet, so you've seen it all then."
"Yeah."
" Well, ever see anyone use bb's?"
"No. It's stupid, it's NOT THE SAME as this stuff."
"I beg to differ. Seems really close to me. "
" Whatever, man. It's not going to work!!"
"Well explain how your stuff works then, seems like it's identical in function!"
" It's not. I'm tellin' ya!"

So naturally I spent like, everything I had on his stuff. It's unique, and it works, and he's tellin' ya, he's been doing it a loooong time, buddy! -_-

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
according to the claims of the folks who make the commercial stuff (not talking about bbs, airsoft, etc), the amount of weight shouldn't make that much difference (I suppose it is possible to get too much in there). If it works the way they say, the weight will distribute itself as necessary to 'balance' the tire.

Several things to consider. Most of the manufacturers of these products say you should use bead lubricant sparingly, as it can contaminate the balancing agent making it clump. Also, any water in the tire can clump the product as well. I think you'd be better off making sure you have a concentric mount of the tires to the wheels.

The other thing to consider of course, is what about the balance of the wheel? I have measured commercial truck wheels, and found the radial runout to be quite bad. These were brand new wheels from a very reputable wheel mfg.

Of course, if these balance products work as advertised, the wheel and tire will be balanced together, so it becomes a mute point.

Again, I'm a skeptic (sp?), so I really need to install this stuff and try it myself.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/BigTirechart.htm

this is the website I used (and the amount of weight used seems to be a huge factor) and it is a product sold at some local chains, they claim.

Additionally, I was told the "most correct" use was to see what rim weight it would take to "normally" balance then use that amount of "bb style" product in the tire.

In theory both products work on the same principle however one issue both products don't address is side to side balancing

I used they exact amount recommended without bead lubricant and I can only speak for my experiences:

It seems sometimes to work occasionally on smooth (like recently paved) surfaces, if there are cracks or expansion joints it seems to disrupt the balance significantly,

Also unless a constant speed is held: for example when accelerating of decelerating the balance seems to worsen significantly.

No other changes where made to the vehicle at the time except removing the existing rim weights and adding the balancing agent.

Meat_

Banned

I forgot to mention that I only had 10lbs in the tires..... might have made it better, might have made it worse.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I drove around today and hit Schucks, Autozone, Napa, Les Schwab, Discount Tire and the only thing commong with them was the look I got when I asked for Equal. One even had the balls to say that I would most likely find it in a grocery store (LS!).

So where can I get it online? As nobody local carries it. I'm going to try Myers and see if I can order it in?