General Tech Tire Chains front or rear

vertwhite

If your buddy is stuck in the snow and you only have one set of tire chains should you put them on the front or the rear of the recovery vehicle?

Would it make any difference if both axles have lockers?

Any difference if it is a Jeep or a pickup?

If you are breaking trail should you put the chains on the front or the rear?

Is it better to buy the chains with the large cross links or the ones with little spikes on them for use in the snow?

Thanks

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I've always heard put the chains on the drive wheels. If it's front wheel drive put them on the front, Rear wheel drive on the rear. When I've been wheeling in the snow and needed chains we had some for front and back.

My opinion if you only have one set and a 4 wheel drive I would put them on the back, my reasoning is most of the time you're adding an inch with chains and the rear axle is just moving up and down, brake lines are typically hard lines at the rear-axle edge and there is less of a change of turning the wheel wrong and rubbing chains where you don't want them.

Silly Willy

i've always heard put the chains on the drive wheels. If it's front wheel drive put them on the front, rear wheel drive on the rear. When i've been wheeling in the snow and needed chains we had some for front and back.

My opinion if you only have one set and a 4 wheel drive i would put them on the back, my reasoning is most of the time you're adding an inch with chains and the rear axle is just moving up and down, brake lines are typically hard lines at the rear-axle edge and there is less of a change of turning the wheel wrong and rubbing chains where you don't want them.
x2

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
On IFS vehicles. Newer yotas etc. It is best to put them on the rear, chains don't like IFS.

On solid axle stuff I usually put them on the front if there are no clearance issues. But the best time to figure that off is before your stuck. :)

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
If you can get them on the front, the weight of the engine helps the chains alot. Pickups are light in the rear, thus not as effective with chains.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
For the IFS folks, cables like the FWD cars use are just fine. They fit tight to the tires and don't move around as much as chains will.

FWD with the cables let me get through really ugly deep stuff almost if I had 4x4... There are limits for everything though.

Seven

I run the one set I have on the front. Like others have stated though, you want to make sure you will not snag anything with them like brake lines. My reasoning is that the fronts are the ones that are breaking the trail through the snow. Since they are more aggressive they will create a better path for the rear tires. They also have the engine over them giving them more grip.

rholbrook

If you can get them on the front, the weight of the engine helps the chains alot. Pickups are light in the rear, thus not as effective with chains.
Always on the front because of the weight unless you have a locked axle in the rear and then it depends on the situation or if the rear of the rescue vehicle is light.

Last edited:

utah340six

i have beed driving in deep snow for years in the mountains.
i like them in the front that give weight f the engine and you can steer and break also.
the front end will pull you around when you turn and give it the gas.

neagtea

Supporting Member
25 years ago we put them on the strongest axle. We didn't run 60's in front (didn't know. we were just kids) but we spent our money on big motors. Chains are hard on stuff when they come off at high RPM. We used semi stuff and cut it down to fit 33's as that was the norm back then. Also use plastic pipe o rings (gaskets) for tensioners I think we used 10" PVC gaskets.

ID Bronco

25 years ago we put them on the strongest axle. We didn't run 60's in front (didn't know. we were just kids) but we spent our money on big motors. Chains are hard on stuff when they come off at high RPM. We used semi stuff and cut it down to fit 33's as that was the norm back then. Also use plastic pipe o rings (gaskets) for tensioners I think we used 10" PVC gaskets.

Its all been said, strongest axle, steering is needed, so front axle.

Chains on all four with lockers front and rear is mind blowing! It is very fun, just make sure the other guy pulling you out has them too. lol