General Tech Tire life.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
In the past I have used tires until the threads or cords showed and never had a blow out or flat. My old military trailer had PEP Boys tires that were at least 25 years old and were still being used. I do not understand the 7 year life of tires now being pushed by dealers. Have tires gotten so bad that they have a built in self destruct mechanism? Is this just a gimmick to keep them from being sued by our litigious society? I would like to hear technical and personal opinions.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I don't know, Jack. I don't think I've got a tire that is NEWER than 7yrs old. No problems.

If I had to guess, tire companies are looking for new and exciting ways to make money. UV kills rubber though, so it really depends on how they're stored-- inside, in the corner of the garage, or out in a field on a truck? Personally I don't think the 7yr guideline is really all that bad, since normal people use up tires in that span... Otherwise, as will all things, caveat user. I take my safety as a personal responsibilty, not the corporate lawyers or the guideline on the sidewall. :D

ricsrx

My old 94 ford was used as a tow rig only, last year the rear tire had the tread come off, although the tire didnt blow.
When I took it back to the tire dealer from were it was purchased he said that although it had at least 1/2 the tread left the tires were 7 years old and the manufacure probably would not cover the tire.

I as well had run used tires most of my life and had never seen a tire fail like we hear about today.

btw the tire manufacurer not only replaced the tire but also paid to repair the damage to the truck..$3500.00

Will3161

I think there a a couple of motivations at work; first, people on average probably drive faster today, and also on average, people don't pay as much attention to they're driving (or vehicle upkeep, for that matter). I definitely think there a some liability issues, but tires are probably just as good as ever. I think blowouts are more from heat rather than age of tire, (I could be wrong, but I never had a low speed blowout). Even though I've blown out trailer tires at 80mph, I never had the issues some do, I think because I pay attention and know what to do.