Tire recommendations?

Tonkaman

I need opinions on my next tire purchase. I have ran a few Dumlop MX 51 in the past a a general use tire but changed to a trials set up this summer. Since the wet weather is moving in ill be needing to get another knobby.

I would like opinions on your favorite tire for American Fork Canyon especially the loose rock on Rock terrain. Do I go a harder tire? The most important factor got me is being able to hook up. I'm on a 120/80/19 since the 120/90/19 isn't available on the Dunlop, any opinions on the need for a 90 aspect ratio?

rholbrook

I put some MX-51s on my WR and don't like them. They hook-up great but they were coming apart. The outside knobbies are coming off. MX-71s would be a little softer and maybe better.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I put some MX-51s on my WR and don't like them. They hook-up great but they were coming apart. The outside knobbies are coming off. MX-71s would be a little softer and maybe better.
I put a MX-51 on my boys 65 and after about 5 races and all the riding, the knobs still have good edges but the outside edges of the tire have developed leporsy. The MX-51 I put on the rear is just wore out.

Tonkaman

I havnt had enough tires to be a good judge of performance. My mx51 seemed to do well but were gone in about 5 rides. I would rather have the traction I need over longevity but a balance is always good too. What's the closest thing to a trials tire? I love the way I hook up on anything going up, but the mud will stop me in a hurry

rholbrook

This is hands down my favorite tire I have ever used. I have 3 friends running them now and just last week we where all together and they where talking about how much they have liked them also.

http://www.maxxis.com/MotorcycleATV/Off-road/Maxxcross-Desert-IT-Rear.aspx

I put the Desert IT on the rear of my WR a few months ago. So far I have a few rides on it and it still looks good. I did notice that it was a little squirely in the corners compared to the MX51. If you got on the throttle hard it would it would hook up though.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
For what its worth, I really like the MX71s. Performance wise, I think they're hard to beat with the varied types of terrain in UT. They don't chunk, but they aren't a real long-wearing tire either. I use a tire knife to keep the grabbing edges sharp and get the most life out of them.

Tonkaman

For what its worth, I really like the MX71s. Performance wise, I think they're hard to beat with the varied types of terrain in UT. They don't chunk, but they aren't a real long-wearing tire either. I use a tire knife to keep the grabbing edges sharp and get the most life out of them.

That's a good idea I've never thought about shaving moto tires

Cascadia

Undecided
My bike has mx51's on them and I have no complaints. I've got 496 miles on them and you can just start to tell they aren't new. They still have about 1/2" in the middle and the outer lugs still have almost full tread. No lugs are chunking at all and I feel like they hook up in all situations I've been in. Even AF Canyon mud the past few weeks.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
My bike has mx51's on them and I have no complaints. I've got 496 miles on them and you can just start to tell they aren't new. They still have about 1/2" in the middle and the outer lugs still have almost full tread. No lugs are chunking at all and I feel like they hook up in all situations I've been in. Even AF Canyon mud the past few weeks.

496 miles??? Wow! My current bike has less than 2000 miles on it and I'm on my 8th rear tire with #9 going on soon.

Tonkaman

Maybe it's just my riding style but my MX 51 tires have only ever lasted about 5 trips. I'd like to stress that I'm ok with a shorter than average life span as long as it gets me where I want to be with ease

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
496 miles??? Wow! My current bike has less than 2000 miles on it and I'm on my 8th rear tire with #9 going on soon.

Maybe it's just my riding style but my MX 51 tires have only ever lasted about 5 trips. I'd like to stress that I'm ok with a shorter than average life span as long as it gets me where I want to be with ease

Riding style and conditions will greatly effect the life of a tire as well as what it is made of. I have a pretty aggressive riding style outside of racing and will normally only have a tire last me 3 races(200-300 miles) at the most with the small amount of riding I do in between. I put a Maxxis Desert IT on my 300 prior to the Idaho City 100 race. I raced both days for a total of 250 miles and the tire held up really well for that many miles. It was not the best tire for those riding conditions, but it did well. I used that tire at the Knolls race (95 miles) the following weedend and Monticello (65 miles) 2 weeks later. I normally trash a tire before most people, but it was starting to get rounded off at that point. Since I was kind of feeling like a tight ass, I went ahead and raced the Wendover race (65 miles) on that tire since it was rocky and did not want to ruin a new tire. At that point the tire had no chunking but was pretty worn down and rounded off.

Being lazy, I did not put on a new tire to go out and GPS my race course for our National Hare and Hound race for 2014. Over the weekend i put on about 175 miles over some pretty rocky terrain and the tire finally reached the point where it was toast and starting to chunk off knobs.

My personal review of this tire is that it is a durable tire with pretty good traction and durability. I think the average recreational rider could get a full season of riding out of one and be happy with its performance over all types of terrain.

Cascadia

Undecided
Yep. Tires came new on my KTM. It has 496 miles. It has seen very very minimal miles on road. The majority of miles has been af canyon, hobblecreek, diamond fork, and St. George. Another ride I have done 5 or so times is hope to hobble road above Provo. It 30 miles round trip of rocky, gravely, dirt road. I was actually shocked when I went out to check the odometer and it had that many miles.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
You guys are hard on tires. I absolutely love the MX 51's on my 450. They last twice as long as the 756's did and hook up better than any tire I have ever ran. I'm on my third rear in the life of the bike (150-200 hours). They see mostly track use with some cherry creek and 10 mile wash.
I used to run an IRC M5B on my WR500 and they really held up well. I can't say how they are for traction because 500cc 2T=lots of wheel spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I used to run an IRC M5B on my WR500 and they really held up well.

Oh ya that's a good one that's for sure :cool: I was going to recommend the M5B until I saw they only list a 110 for the 19" wheel on RMATV. I was turned onto those by a desert racer I met out in Kelton a few years back. Very popular with hillclimbers as well. The M5B rocks in everything from desert to single track but I prefer them in the meaty 130 which is only available for the 18" rim I think.

Along those lines the IRC VE series front tires are by far my favorite. Their grip is impressive and they last a long time too. I can't say enough good about them.

Caleb

You guys are hard on tires. I absolutely love the MX 51's on my 450. They last twice as long as the 756's did and hook up better than any tire I have ever ran. I'm on my third rear in the life of the bike (150-200 hours). They see mostly track use with some cherry creek and 10 mile wash.
I used to run an IRC M5B on my WR500 and they really held up well. I can't say how they are for traction because 500cc 2T=lots of wheel spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Kind of funny because I was going to mention the only tire I've had that wore more quickly than my mx51s is when I had 756s. :) I hate the mx51, they wear way too quickly for any terrain other than the track. I know a lot of mxers really like them. The MX71 was a great tire, but I still think my most favorite tire is the maxxis desert tires for all-around riding and longevity.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
So this weekend we rode AF Canyon, ended up being a lot of mud... I have a Maxxis Desert IT on the back of my 300 and struggled to get going time after time! I was all over the place and working harder than I should have been. The Desert IT is a great knobbie normally, the edges on my tire are just rounded off but there's still plenty of meat on the knobbies.

I may have to try Von's tire knife idea... or should I flip my tire around and try running it on the other edge?

Caleb

Interesting. Were the other guys having problems getting going and what tires were they running? I'm not sure how your tires look, but I know when my knobbiest start to round off, flipping might buy me another ride, but the other edge isn't far behind. I'd try the tire knife before flipping as that doesn't require unmounting my tire (FWIW, I am lazy though, so… :D)