Tire recommendations?

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Interesting. Were the other guys having problems getting going and what tires were they running? I'm not sure how your tires look, but I know when my knobbiest start to round off, flipping might buy me another ride, but the other edge isn't far behind. I'd try the tire knife before flipping as that doesn't require unmounting my tire (FWIW, I am lazy though, so… :D)

Von was struggling somewhat with a Trails tire (which isn't surprising), but I would say I had just as much trouble as he did in certain places. Derek had his new knobbie, but even though we talked about it, I don't remember what tire he ended up with. He had less trouble than either Von or I, from my perspective.

I wonder if I just wore the sharp edges off while riding 5 Miles of Hell this Spring... :D

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I liked my Maxxis desert IT. but I smoked it in 3 moab trips.

Derek, what was that track tire I got from you? Bridgestone Motocross M404.
I REALLY like it but it's gone after 6 rides.

I did a center groove down all the center lugs and it helped tremendously on of camber/ sidehill situations.
I highly recommend it!

Tonkaman

I bought an mx71 in a 110/90/19 for my ride up AF canyon this weekend. The tire did great even thru all the slick mud, snow, and wet rocks. I found the front tire losing traction before the back. My front tire is a fairly new MX51 so I'm not sure how much better it could have been. Overall I was very pleased with the tire and certainly had the most traction that day.

Tonkaman

Derek, what was that track tire I got from you? Bridgestone Motocross M404.
I REALLY like it but it's gone after 6 rides.

I don't remember exactly which tire I gave to you but there were a few m404 in the garage at some point do its likely. My bike goes thru tires like I do underwear!

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I guess I'm just trying to establish a baseline for what tire works best where.
I've heard softer lasts longer on harder rock.

Why does a trials tire last so long on slick rock?
Is it more compound or tread pattern?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose

A tire with a softer compound typically will not chunk when you ride rocky terrain. However, it is going to wear and round off quicker on hard pack terrain.

This is only my theory........., but a trials tire has more contact surface and with proper throttle control will not be spinning as much as a knobby. Trials tires are very soft, but due to the high contract patch, they do not have the same pressure on the driving edge since it is distributed over a high surface area.

Greg

Admin

The Pirelli MT43 (which Cheston has on his WR) is DOT legal and the rubber is not super soft. I would say it's a bit softer than the average knobbie, but I have no durometer numbers to back that up with. There are much softer rubber trials tires out there, but IMO the MT43 is a great compromise of traction & tire life while getting a DOT legal tire. I'm fairly certain there are guys on ADVRider.com claiming 2,500 miles on a MT43 with a mix of riding, dirt & street. :freak:

I ran that trials tire in Moab a few times, around Rabbit Valley quite a bit and even some road time.... I think they last longer (obviously) due to the amount of knobs in contact with the ground. Also if & when they get spun in dirt, they don't dig down like a regular knobbie would and try to hook up, but seem to only scratch at the surface... which IMO doesn't tear the tire up. I've also found that it was near impossible to spin the MT43 on slickrock... it will HOOK right up and wheelie you over before giving up any traction. Usually you run a trials tire at lower pressures (10-14 PSI) but even at 18-19 PSI the trails tire will still hook up very well.

My first ride with the trials tire in the rear was very interesting... I almost went over the bars when I chopped the throttle closed and the engine braking took over. :eek:

Tonkaman

Looks like a great tool I'll have to get one as well. We ride 5 mile pass today and it really confirmed how happy I am with this tire. I always had traction on the solid rocks and my tire isn't even missing knobbies!

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I've been using this knife for a while now. Definitely worth it! Disclaimer: You may develop Corvette Fever by watching the instructional video.

Greg

Admin
Used the Knobbie Knife last night, my Maxxis Desert IT was pretty beat up... more than I had thought! I have heard a few guys to say use it on a junk tire first for practice, but I didn't have one... I don't think it's all that hard to pick up. A few of my first few cuts were a little too deep, but not that bad. After about 45 min my rear tire has all sharp edges! Based on a quick rip around the back yard, traction has been pretty well improved! I'll follow up with more after a real ride. :D