tire width???

leorn

reset
I ran a search on a few forums and couldn't find anything about tire width so here's my curiousity ? of the day.

I know competition tires are all 12.50 or 13.50 wide. Why are they not wider? What do you feel is the optimum width for rocks???

Caleb

Well, I will say that just one inch wider adds a TON of weight...also, in competition generally you want to be as narrow as possible (within reason)...

Bud

'98 ZJ
Supergper said:
Well, I will say that just one inch wider adds a TON of weight...also, in competition generally you want to be as narrow as possible (within reason)...
I second that......

leorn

reset
sounds like the width doesn't equal grip. thanks!

btw bud i'm diggin the bumpers, sliders and antiwrap arms you guys did this summer!

94redtoy

short bus
hey i dont wanna hijack the post, but have you put in your lockers, and set up your gears yet? im in the process of putting mine in, and the wiring is a sunuvabitch. let me know if you need any help with it.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
leorn said:

No, but more footprint (with the proper compounding) will give more grip. Thus the reason for dropping pressure. Dropping the pressure actually does a couple of things. It allows the tire to flex over the rock (stump, whatever - giving more contact area) and it spreads the load on a longer and slightly wider footprint. This of course makes a big difference as probably most on this board already know.

Bud

'98 ZJ
leorn said:

btw bud i'm diggin the bumpers, sliders and antiwrap arms you guys did this summer!
Great! Let me know if we can help you out with anything else!

leorn

reset
94redtoy said:
hey i dont wanna hijack the post, but have you put in your lockers, and set up your gears yet? im in the process of putting mine in, and the wiring is a sunuvabitch. let me know if you need any help with it.

haven't got ahold of the guy i know yet. really it just needs to be done by easter. i haven't found a trail in northern utah that i need lockers for. i want to get them in though. i bet i've called the guy 10 times and have yet to get anyone home. i might have to give you a call on fri to check out how things are going. i want to see how you did the housing.

94redtoy

short bus
leorn said:
haven't got ahold of the guy i know yet. really it just needs to be done by easter. i haven't found a trail in northern utah that i need lockers for. i want to get them in though. i bet i've called the guy 10 times and have yet to get anyone home. i might have to give you a call on fri to check out how things are going. i want to see how you did the housing.

yeah the housing looks pretty good, cept its hard to drill the holes straight without a drill press. im waiting on getting my pinion back from the machinist, im an idiot and pounded it out with a hammer, and ****ed up the threads. my truck is stock 4.56, wish i woulda known that earlier, but oh well. were goin to moab fri night, dont know your plans and i know its short notice, but its be sick if you could come down. yeah were on fall break so give me a call anytime.

leorn

reset
this thread is oficially hijacked!

94redtoy said:
yeah the housing looks pretty good, cept its hard to drill the holes straight without a drill press. im waiting on getting my pinion back from the machinist, im an idiot and pounded it out with a hammer, and ****ed up the threads. my truck is stock 4.56, wish i woulda known that earlier, but oh well. were goin to moab fri night, dont know your plans and i know its short notice, but its be sick if you could come down. yeah were on fall break so give me a call anytime.

hey man i'll have to get my gears done so i can at least give you some matching 4.30s or 4.10s. i'll get buggin the guy.

wish i could go to to moab. i do need a little notice to get my job off, i could even score a place to stay free! anyway we'll have to scedule another trip.

oh the other problem is i'm getting a new head gasket, heater core and radiator. so i could drive my moms mazda 929! anyways have fun on the trip

Last edited:

rockstacker

Tire width

Common Question, the wider the tire the more it loads the sidewall which causes instability in turning and side hilling. For example you are on an off camber hill and stop and start to turn up hill, As you ease the vehicle foward the first thing the tire does is unload the twist you put in it, this causes the tire to "scrub" the rock impeading traction. With an ultra wide tire on bead locks and aired down you can turn the rim a couple inches inside the tire before the contact patch moves. This is not good for accurate turning. :D

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I thought inaccurate turnning was more a function of side wall height/stiffness than tread width. the
rockstacker said:
Common Question, the wider the tire the more it loads the sidewall which causes instability in turning and side hilling. For example you are on an off camber hill and stop and start to turn up hill, As you ease the vehicle foward the first thing the tire does is unload the twist you put in it, this causes the tire to "scrub" the rock impeading traction. With an ultra wide tire on bead locks and aired down you can turn the rim a couple inches inside the tire before the contact patch moves. This is not good for accurate turning. :D

Kyle

GO Jr.
The wider the tire is, there is less wieght that is distributed to each lug on the ground witch makes you lose traction.
This is something Jason Paule and I talked about in Tennessee. after running 15.50's on my buggy I would say there is lots of truth to that
Kyle

Caleb

Kyle said:
The wider the tire is, there is less wieght that is distributed to each lug on the ground witch makes you lose traction.
This is something Jason Paule and I talked about in Tennessee. after running 15.50's on my buggy I would say there is lots of truth to that
Kyle

I will agree with that to a point...the idea is correct but take it to an extreme...air the tires WAY up so they are crowning, now you are on only a lug or two in contact, so based on that principle you should have awesome traction but in reality you have damn near no traction:D there is a point that more footprint is better than less...but as you pointed out the super wide is not where its at (they were Toyos though, so you had that working against ya :rofl: )

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
and compounding is huge when you're talking traction. your theory about less pressure from each block I can't argue with, but the total traction is a function of the total area in contact with the ground, the load on that total area and the rubber mix.

So, if you were running tire A with a width of 15.5 and tire B with a width of say 13.5 (or 12.5 or whatever), you can't really make a judgement solely on the width of the tire unless the compounding is exactly the same. And, if you're talking brand A vs Brand B, the compound is definately different.