Tires...yet again

Caleb

I know this has been discussed a few times but I'm looking for something a bit different (I think). I'm looking to put new wheels and tires on my truck. Currently I have 35x12.5R20 Toyo MT (E-Rated). Since I do use this truck to tow my camp trailer, I want my tire to be E-Rated if at all possible. I'm also looking at going back to an 18" Rim, but may stay at a 20" rim. Right now the tires I'm looking at are:

35x12.5R18 BFG MT KM2
35x12.5R18 General Grabber
35x12.5R18 Toyo MT

I've not been entirely impressed with the Toyos. They are what came on the truck when I bought it. They seem to have worn really fast. One trip to Western Colorado with my trailer in tow and I think I lost about 1/4"-1/2" of tread. Now this truck only had 24K miles on it (it's an 07) when I bought it, so the tires have some cracking like they've sat for a long time, that may be the reason for their increased wearing. They are also the most expensive tire of the three I'm considering.

Any other suggestions on different tires or thoughts on the tires I'm considering???

Thanks

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'm not sure why/how I got 55K miles out of my E-rated Toyo MTs (285 16). I'd buy them again, but I keep hearing stories from people with Toyos that only get 25-30K out of them. Pretty expensive per mile.

I've got the Goodyear Silent Armor on my Dodge and they have a 50K mile warranty from Goodyear. I'm not sure if they have 20" or 18" sizes, though? I've got about 30K miles on my Goodyears and think they will make it to the 50K mark with probably a little to spare. I have killed two of the tires from road hazard (piece of alum. that my front tire kicked up and immediately stabbed my rear tire through the tread)

Caleb

Yeah, I've always heard the Toyos did pretty good on wear. Another tire I've considered is the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac in a 325/65R18 (34.8" tall). They don't have any kind of warranty (most in this large of a tire don't) but if they are anything like the Wrangler Silent Armors they may be a good alternative...and a bit cheaper than the others, which doesn't hurt.

LT.

Despite being a huge BFG fan I don't think you will like the KM2's while actually using your vehicle as a tow rig. The blocks of tread are big and there is a big void between them. This makes for a tread that will not be stable while towing. There was a thread on Pirate about folks who hated the KM2's for towing. Don't get me wrong, I love BFG's but, not really a tire set up well for towing.

LT.

Caleb

Despite being a huge BFG fan I don't think you will like the KM2's while actually using your vehicle as a tow rig. The blocks of tread are big and there is a big void between them. This makes for a tread that will not be stable while towing. There was a thread on Pirate about folks who hated the KM2's for towing. Don't get me wrong, I love BFG's but, not really a tire set up well for towing.

LT.
Thanks, that's exactly my concern. Really if I ultimately did what I really wanted to do, I would pull the lift off my truck, put it back to stock (or near stock) and run the stock 32"-33" tire. I'm also considering a BFG AT in a 325/65R18. I've always loved the AT for just about everything.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I got 40k outta my first set of 37x12.50 x 20 toyo mt's for my super duty. I just buy used sets now to get me by. I bought a set of 50 percenters for 400 bucks, much better then the 500 ish they want for a single new

Jesser04

My dad is running e rated km2's on 08 Chevy dually he has 40,000 on them right now. He pulls a minimum of 8000 lbs at all times and as much as 25,000. He has about 1/3 tread left has has been pretty happy with them.

rholbrook

I have been working with BFG right now to get me some money back on the All Terrains I have on my Wrangler LJ. Less than 30k and they are bald. It looks like they are going to pony up.

I have a brand new spare for sell here shortly. I have to look for sure on the size but it's a 16" around the 265 size

newtoy

I had 33x12.5 r18 toyo muds on my dodge they lasted ok. I just switched to some Falken rocky mountain ats they ride nicer but it is to early to tell on how they will wear.

rholbrook

I had 33x12.5 r18 toyo muds on my dodge they lasted ok. I just switched to some Falken rocky mountain ats they ride nicer but it is to early to tell on how they will wear.

I am on my second set of Falkins that are more of normal tread but they are 305's on a 22" rim. I got 55K on my first set and I am currently at 30K on my second set and still have tons of tread. I have liked the Falkins.

sixstringsteve

LT.

Well said. I'm in the exact same camp. i love my KM2's, but they're not the right tire for your application. i'd take a good look at the falken A/T's, those are supposed to be killer tires. I've been impressed with the yokohama geolander a/t-s as well. I am assuming they make an E-rated version.

LT.

On another note, is there a reason you don't want to put your truck back to stock? Lifted trucks have their place and I can see a few reasons to have a lifted truck. By the way if you have a dodge tow rig and are serious about wanting it back to stock let me know. I have every piece you will need from my 04 dodge.

LT.

Caleb

On another note, is there a reason you don't want to put your truck back to stock? Lifted trucks have their place and I can see a few reasons to have a lifted truck. By the way if you have a dodge tow rig and are serious about wanting it back to stock let me know. I have every piece you will need from my 04 dodge.

LT.
No reason other than I'd have to try to find all the parts, it'd probably be cheaper to buy a high quality smaller lift (I'm currently at 6"). I also enjoy having a lifted truck.

Houndoc

Interest discussion yet again. I have not heard much good on tread wear on the Falkens, but good to hear some first had knowledge.

FYI on those Discount Tire qouted me (using their web site) about $750 for set of 4 out the door on 265/70R17 load range E. That was for their all-terrian version.

I ran Cooper Discoverer ATRs on my 05 Dodge 2500, only got about 45k out of them.

I will be mounting Hankook Dynapros later this week ($1100 via Big O.)

Jesser04

Have you looked at the nitto trail grappler? My step brother is running 35/12.5/22 on his 2010 tundra. He pulls a 25' boat most of the time and they seem to be wearing great.

I would go with the BFG or the nitto. I'm the kind of person that would give up some miles for a better looking tire but that just me.

Last edited:

Caleb

I had the Nittos on my Tacoma and (IMO) they were one of the worse tires I've ever had. I was not impressed with them in the least bit. That's good to hear the Falkens getting good reviews, I had a set of their car tires on my Jetta years ago and I don't think I even got 10K out of them.

Interesting thread. It's been a month since it was started, what did you end up doing?

I'm spending a lot of time thinking about tires. I have a nearly worn set of BFG AT's on my eXcursion, 305/70r16. Over the last 6 years I've had 315's and 295's in the AT too on the X. Get about 30-35k per set. Excellent snow traction is an absolute requirement. New BFG AT's are pretty darn good at this. Nervous to try anything with less siping or not winter rated (little snowflake). This typically means a softer compound, so I guess 30-35K per set may not be that bad.

Since I won a set of rims from Discount (Thanks Discount!) I'm considering a winter set (Duratracs) and a summer set (Toyo MT) instead of the BFG AT's this time around. Typically, I'll buy a set of tires in November and they are great that winter and decent the next winter (requiring chains half the time). By the third winter (or month 25 of ownership) they are too worn and need to be replaced. Hoping a winter set will last 4 or more winters, and summer set will last longer too. On the flip side, I'm not putting as many miles on the truck now, so I shouldn't worry about it as much and just get another set of BFG AT's on either 17 or 18" rims. Hmmmm.

Also considering Cooper STT's but they have gotten spendy.

I'd really like to run 35's (they fit fine) but the EGT's on my 7.3 behave better when towing above 2000 rpm (2000 at 70 with 33" tires). So I'll probably go with 33's again. Sigh. The taller tires do better in the snow, but the shorter tires do better towing. And I haven't run 35's since I did the ported shroud on the turbo.

Just replaced the Toyo AT's on the work truck, they've been great tires too. Many trouble free trips to northern Nevada, lots of snow miles.

Caleb

After all the consideration, I ended up with the tried and true BFG A/T. I can't believe the difference they make in ride quality over the Toyo M/T that came off. It sounds like you're having the same dilemma as I was, try something new or stick to the tried and true. Another tire that I found while looking at the many options is the Federal Couragia M/T. Less Schwab has them in stock and they a cheaper than anything else. In the end I just couldn't bring myself to go with a "no name" tire when I was already spending that much.

Oh, and if anyone is looking for an excellent tire shop, Jay's Tire Pros up in Bountiful and top notch. It's quite a drive for me to get there (Riverton to Bountiful), but I plan to use them for all my tire needs. Great guys! Thanks for the tip Russ!

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Glad to hear you've had a good experience with Jay's, maybe they've turned things around with the name change and exterior remodel. When I lived in Bountiful, everyone I knew thought they were shady... including a friend that worked there.