General Tech Tires

K9JK

Give me your experience / reviews on Wrangler MTR with Kevlar 35"
Lets just say "they're" trying to convince me to put them on my 2001 Jeep Wrangler tj
What do you guys think?
Right now I'm running with 35" Wrangler MTR

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I think they are good tires and I was seriously considering them when I bought my new 37's. I ended up going with a set Pit Bull Rockers mainly for the reason that I was going to have to buy new wheels if I bought MTR's since there are very few people who make a 37" tire in 15" rim any longer.

Cherokeester

I am in the same boat between the MTR's and the KM2's. I know it is really hard to get any MTR's right now plus most of my friends that have used them in Moab have given reviews that are less than stellar. I have the old MTR's now on my CJ and I need new tires. The MTR's may be better on more of daily driven rig where you still want a meaty aggressive tire. The KM2's sound better for slick rock and technical stuff. I have myself pretty much talked myself into the KM2's but maybe I am just blowing smoke out my own rear, other comments are appreciated.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I went from a Creepy Crawler sticky to an MTR Kevlar in a 40". I was fairly unimpressed early on, but as the sidewalls broke in the tires started working pretty well. I just moved down to another set of Kevlars in a 38" so I must like them.

Here's what I like.
1) They can run down the highway pretty respectably. Even my 40" unbalanced tires could run about 60 mph down the highway. The 38" seem even better.

2) They seem to be able to grip respectably on the sandstone (not exactly a glowing endorsement as I believe a racing slick could do well at the right pressure?)

3) They wear fairly well and seem relatively durable for off-road use. Hard to tell how many miles I had on my tires, but they seemed to hold up well. I didn't have any real sidewall damage (but I've never killed tires on my Jeep {My Dodge is a total tire killer, though})

sixstringsteve

I was contemplating getting a set for my current rig, but I saw a few reviews on discount tire's website that made me second-guess myself. There were several reviews on Discounttire.com that mentioned a weird shimmy/wobble at 50 mph when they're worn a bit (10k miles). I haven't met anyone in person with this problem, but I read 3 or 4 people with this issue. They said they rotated their tires religiously and tried to balance it out, but it was still there. DIscount's website actually has a lot of good reviews from people who tow, wheel, dd, etc. Aside from those few reviews (and every tire's going to have a few bad reviews), everything else I've heard about them has been great. It seems like you need to air them down a bit more than your typical tire to get them to bulge, but that's no biggie.

I'd run 'em if the price was right. If you complete the treadlightly online course, they'll give you a $100 off coupon for goodyear tires. Pretty cool deal there.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I was contemplating getting a set for my current rig, but I saw a few reviews on discount tire's website that made me second-guess myself. There were several reviews on Discounttire.com that mentioned a weird shimmy/wobble at 50 mph when they're worn a bit (10k miles). I haven't met anyone in person with this problem, but I read 3 or 4 people with this issue. They said they rotated their tires religiously and tried to balance it out, but it was still there. DIscount's website actually has a lot of good reviews from people who tow, wheel, dd, etc. Aside from those few reviews (and every tire's going to have a few bad reviews), everything else I've heard about them has been great. It seems like you need to air them down a bit more than your typical tire to get them to bulge, but that's no biggie.

I'd run 'em if the price was right. If you complete the treadlightly online course, they'll give you a $100 off coupon for goodyear tires. Pretty cool deal there.

I have some 30%ish Kevlars on my Dodge now. They aren't exactly quiet, but I don't have any balancing issues. They are cute little guys, though. 265/70 17

RockChucker

i have 35" kevlars on my TJ right now. I love 'em. In my opinion, they are better than the old MTR's all the way around. They do very well in Moab. I bought my set half worn out, and I have put more than 10k on them and have probably still got 25% tread left. I'm not the best at rotating them either. I would recommend them.

People do debate between Kevlar's and KM2's. I have heard more negative about KM2's than Kevlar's. I work with a guy that had KM2's on his XJ. He hated them. He said they worked well on sandstone (what tire doesn't, like mbryson said, a drag slick would do well), but they wore goofy for him on the road, and he couldn't get them back in check. That is his experience though. I personally don't have any experience with them. I'm sure you can't go wrong with either tire though.