To make my Moto street legal or upgrade?

rholbrook

^^ the tusk one, the Baja designs one, and the like all seemed to suck when I tried using them over the years. In fact it was their suckiness that led me to the R/C batteries

in fact I cut one apart to find (8) rechargeable AA batteries soldered in a series (1.5v X 8=12V) I never had any real luck with them, and they are designed to be used with a lighting stator when the revs are low, to help when the stator isn't putting out a lot, even at full-functioning capacity they can't run a light, and signals at the same time

Makes sense. I never used it so won't pass judgment. I put a light on my sons CRF150 and last night on the way down the mountain, it drained his battery so low it wouldn't start with the button. I need to rewire so it gets power before the battery. It only gets used on those late nights and it can brighten and dim with the RPM like a CRFx or WR does anyway. Its never going to get licensed for the road so that doesn't matter.

B2-Bomber

on most dirt bikes, the stators are just so dimensionally small that they don't make a lot. so any time you put a headlight (a decent-sized draw) on the same dc circuit as the battery, it will use up all of the power from the stator, and take the rest it needs for full-brightness from the battery.

get a voltage regulator like the X models, or KTMs have, which sends regulated AC power to the headlight, which is separate from the rectified/regulated DC power, so the headlight can't rob power from the battery.

pELYgroso

'Merica
Hey stratt, I have the street legal kit from my wr still....I could make you a good deal on it if you want. I've been meaning to install it onto my ktm but haven't gotten around to it. You would just need the stator. Pm me if you're interested.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
If you can swing $3K you could always start drinking the Orange Koolaid... not sure if that's something you'd consider though. ;)

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=26119479&cat=&lpid=&search=ktm &ad_cid=6

It's already plated & street legal. That bike will have plenty of power for the dunes, you'll love the suspension (not sure if it's sprung as heavy as your YZF), but I guarantee KTM suspension will be a step up over the YZF. It should be docile enough for trail riding... and I'm 99% certain a Rekluse is available for it, since you mentioned it. It's a bike that could connect trails well, it should handle several miles of pavement easy enough and be a blast in the desert or mountains. The RFS engine is well known and reliable, doesn't hold a lot of oil so you need to be on top of oil changes.

It's still a big bike, will be a bit heavy at 250 #'s dry but does have e-start which really helps make up for the weight, IMO. **EDIT** Actually, comparing the 2 bikes... it looks like the KTM 525 is the same weight as your YZF!! :freak:

Best part it's OBO and the owner needs it gone! You may be able to get it for $2500-2600!

GAR

I love my 525. It has lots of power for riding on roads, and the suspension is awesome. It is a bit of a pig but I only really notice when I have to pick it up, which is often with me.
Let's go ride and you can try it out

Caleb

You never rode my 500 did you? Although it is a much more current bike, I imagine the 525 will be somewhat similar to it. My 500 would ride circles around my crf450x. I'd go with that KTM Greg posted up (or something similar) over a crf.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I hope a 525EXC will be my next bike :D 6 wide gears, monster power, very reliable on and off road... Oh and enormous aftermarket support! That's the bike I would recommend.

That said if you don't mind kickstarting the WR426's are just as reliable as the 450's imo and usually much cheaper... My brother picked one up in great shape with the Baja Designs kit for $1700 last week. I think I paid $2K for mine with a BD kit three years ago. Ok on the street (it's still a dirtbike though) and great on the trail.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I know a guy that had your same dilemma. He had a YZF 450 but wanted to ride trails. He picked up a TTR 250 for trail riding and couldn't be happier.

The truth is no bike is good everywhere. You need at least 2 in my opinion. My YZ is awesome at the dunes, on the track or at Caineville. My TTR is just as awesome on singletrack. I will eventually switch to a KTM 300 or a YZ 250 smoker for trail riding but for the money I have invested (about $6k) I couldn't be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk