Topic of Discussion TOD: Offroad preparedness

toys4rocks

I didn't mean to do that!
"a laminated map on the wall at my house with the area where I was going circled with a dry erase "

This is an excellant Idea!! This will now be first on my list, before packing the rig.

The $5 toolbags from HF, work great for seperating needed tools on the trail. (I have 4, 1 for 1/2" sockets, 1 for 3/8" sockets, blah blah)

And its hard to over-stuff them with things you "might need". I agree with taking proper spare parts and tools, but when you load your rig to squatting proportions. You run the risk of breaking parts you wouldn't otherwise break.

Ask me how I know!!

Practicing in the driveway is another good way to slim down the "toolshed".

00Buck

Toilet Paper :D , Current Meds, and Large tarps always come in handy.
Flashlight, roll of paper towels, 2 or more ways to make a fire, knife and a whistle.
Did I mention toilet paper!!!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
James K said:
I thought that was a given. That also applies to someone on the side of the road or in a parking lot with a flat tire. IT won't take up to much of your timt and you will feel better for having done it.

Usually is a given... but I've been behind large groups of people that will just keep going without offering help. As soon as I'm close enough, I always offer to help. :)

way2nosty

Just Tie it Down

Very Good Ideas, Making a checklist.
One thing that I think would be prudent to bring up is the necessity to TIE EVERYTHING DOWN. coolers,toolbag everything, Anything not tied down is a flying object in the cab, potentially lethal in a rollover.

My check list used to be ether matches 3 big hammers spare tire brake fluid - it leaks.

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
an indespensible trail tool is a positive attitude. nothing worse than crying about your busted stuck machine :)

Brad Yates

airwalks are cool
no one's mentioned a girl. girls have many benefits to produce an overall enjoyable offroading experience.

1. they will discourage you from doing anything dumb.
2. they will be impressed by anything your rigs successfully conquers.
3. they keep the conversation interesting.
4. they are early warning detectors.

i'm sure there's a lot more. all i know is i won't leave home without one!

offroaddave

It's just one term!
darwin said:
an indespensible trail tool is a positive attitude. nothing worse than crying about your busted stuck machine :)

Very indespenible.
I usually freak right away but my bro (offroadlogan) always calm & cool. :mad:

Note the smile. ;)

Attachments

• rattle snake & waynes world 034 (Small).jpg
    rattle snake & waynes world 034 (Small).jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 165

offroaddave

It's just one term!
Brad Yates said:
no one's mentioned a girl. girls have many benefits to produce an overall enjoyable offroading experience.

1. they will discourage you from doing anything dumb.
2. they will be impressed by anything your rigs successfully conquers.
3. they keep the conversation interesting.
4. they are early warning detectors.

i'm sure there's a lot more. all i know is i won't leave home without one!

:eek: -_- :ugh: :-\ :D

40_Below

James K said:
also various nuts and bolts, and a couple 1' or 2' pieces of chain........

I agree with you 100% there. I broke the draglink on my Toyota and proably wouldn't have been able to get the truck out and back to the road if not for a length of chain.

Some other things I have on my truck are Flares, fire starter, spare keys, siphon hose, snake bite kit, spare belts, rope, and a tarp.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I would love to know what recovery (not spare parts) you guys all carry for your rig...

Here is the stuff I keep in my recovery bag:
Winch controller
25' Strap (looped ends)
Tree Saver (actually a second strap)
2 10k Shackles
2 7k Shackles
Gloves
Snachblock
Bag doubles as a winch cable dampner

Anything else I should think of? :confused:

Badbuggy

rock star
Ratchet strap, good for broken links, motor mounts, tranny mounts, u-bolts, spring hangers, tires off the bead, recoverytoo. And the good thing is I tie the rig on the trailer with them so I have them handy.

Badbuggy

rock star
I carry floor dry and a container, have used it on other guys rigs a couple of times for flops. It probably would'nt be enough for a major spill but works good for small leaks and such. I just took a large gatoraid bottle and filled it with floor dry. The mess gets stuffed back in the bottle till I get home.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Badbuggy said:
I carry floor dry and a container, have used it on other guys rigs a couple of times for flops. It probably would'nt be enough for a major spill but works good for small leaks and such. I just took a large gatoraid bottle and filled it with floor dry. The mess gets stuffed back in the bottle till I get home.
I like that idea a lot :cool:

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
PierCed_3 said:
Drivelines and spare U joints.

Shouldnt you suggest some some flat stock shackles and spare bolts/nuts for leaf spring breaks.....

4qts oil, 1 qt ea power steering, brake fluid. Gallon antifreeze/water.

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
Badcop said:
Shouldnt you suggest some some flat stock shackles and spare bolts/nuts for leaf spring breaks.....

4qts oil, 1 qt ea power steering, brake fluid. Gallon antifreeze/water.

All of the above are good ideas. ;)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Badbuggy said:

Cool :cool: