Tools that you just can't live without

Tonkaman

Looks like the Carlyle set. Is it?

Mike
Honestly I can’t remember. I just know that I had no idea this “torx plus” was a thing till recently. So glad I finally figured it out!

The funniest part is that my KTM is made up of all bolts with torx inside the bolt heads. The tool kit that comes with the bike is all torx bits, but in reality they are all TORX PLUS fasteners!! Not even KTM knows what they are using!

Kevin B.

Big hippy
^ I played that game when I pulled the bed on the F150. I farked up like three different Torx bits and a couple of the bolt heads before I learned what Torx+ was.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Resurrection thread.

Two things one I just discovered angle head wrenches and how I haven't know about these is beyond me. Makes those tight buggers less annoying.

Also I've picked up quite a few Tekton tools in the last few months and really like them. Just ordered the angle head wrenches from them. They have double rewards going on now through Wednesday if anyone needs some tools great time to get some free tools down the road.

STAG

On my grind
I think I’ve shared this one before when I first made it. I use it now and then still. Tonight was one of those nights.

I call it a poor-mans fireball square. (Which I had one before too but I left it in Hawaii.

The goal was to make a clampable square for fixturing while welding. The fireball versions are nice but big $$.

I took 3 of the small Harbor Freight squares, held them all tight and stacked perfectly on top of each other. Then drilled a few holes through all, and then spaced them apart with nuts to keep them parallel. The spacing apart allows them to be a wide enough area to be clamped with a C-clamp on each leg.

I also chamfered the outside corner of the squares when I first made it. That gives a little extra corner clearance to maybe clear any weld beads or anything when using it on the inside of the material corner.

Works great, but it does take a little fine tuning to get everything positioned perfect and ready to weld. The Fireball version comes with tabs that help keeps the square parallel to the material which speeds up the setup time.

The Harbor Freight squares are at least a cheap version of stainless steel which helps with keeping the rust at bay and any weld spatter to fall off a little easier.

FC734131-64E4-4FEE-85AD-6BA4AAD788FB.jpeg

If anyone wants one I could make you one for time and materials. Or they are obviously easy to make yourselves.

Last edited:

The_Lobbster

I think I’ve shared this one before when I first made it. I use it now and then still. Tonight was one of those nights.

I call it a poor-mans fireball square. (Which I had one before too but I left it in Hawaii.

The goal was to make a clampable square for fixturing while welding. The fireball versions are nice but big $$.

I took 3 of the small Harbor Freight squares, held them all tight and stacked perfectly on top of each other. Then drilled a few holes through all, and then spaced them apart with nuts to keep them parallel. The spacing apart allows them to be a wide enough area to be clamped with a C-clamp on each leg.

I also chamfered the outside corner of the squares when I first made it. That gives a little extra corner clearance to maybe clear any weld beads or anything when using it on the inside of the material corner.

Works great, but it does take a little fine tuning to get everything positioned perfect and ready to weld. The Fireball version comes with tabs that help keeps the square parallel to the material which speeds up the setup time.

The Harbor Freight squares are at least a cheap version of stainless steel which helps with keeping the rust at bay and any weld spatter to fall off a little easier.

View attachment 161947

If anyone wants one I could make you one for time and materials. Or they are obviously easy to make yourselves.
I like that!

I had to google the fireball unit, sure looks well made, but I can’t justify the price. I’ll have to steal this idea from you.