Toyota 4Runner; 3rd gen or 4th gen?

JDOUCAW

Hey everyone, I've been lookin at buying a 4Runner, and can't decide which way to go. I know the 3rd gens have the rear locker, and the 4th gens have the center locker. Is there any benefits to one gen over the other? Any problems that one specific year range had? Thanks in advance!

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Rear locker and center locker have totally separate actions. Rear locker locks the rear axle shafts together for further traction aid. The center locker on a 4th gen, locks the front and rear together changing it from AWD to 4WD. As for which is better suited for you thats totally dependent on your needs. 3rd gen has good aftermarket support, quite a bit cheaper, and are smaller so they fit on narrower trails better. 4th gen has a V8 option, little more room inside for people and for the most part won't have 1,000,000,000 on them. But they will also cost a lot more

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Hey everyone, I've been lookin at buying a 4Runner, and can't decide which way to go. I know the 3rd gens have the rear locker, and the 4th gens have the center locker. Is there any benefits to one gen over the other? Any problems that one specific year range had? Thanks in advance!

There are 4th gens with a rear locker (the Trail Edition), and there are 3rd gens with the locking center diff and rear diff lock ('01-'02 Limited). 4th gens have the V8, and it's a good one. And it's easy enough to retrofit the elocker diff in either model, so don't let that stop you if you find one you like. 4th gen V6s have head gasket issues, 3rd gen have lower ball joint issues and a suspect trans cooler. I think you'll be happy with either, get whatever's in your budget.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I never owned a 4th gen but I'm plenty happy with my 3rd gen. The 3.4 v6 has enough power for me, never felt like I needed more grunt. But I have the 5 speed not auto. So I don't worry about trans coolers. I'm still on 4.10 gearing and it's been just fine on 33's and loaded up with passengers.

The motor is easy to work on, basic maintenance has gone a long way on keeping my rig happy. LBJ's are a 20 minute job for preventative maintenance.

Its not amazingly fuel efficient but it's not bad either. I average between 16-19 mpg in its current config.