toyota axle build up

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
due to the recent desert dogs rock race in delta, its time to rebuild my front axle. my goal is to make my toyota axle handle the abuse i throw at it, so heres what ive got.

bobby longs 30 spliners
toyota elocker from a 99 4runner(not hi pinion:mad:)
trail gears axle truss kit
trail gears rock rings
trail gears six shooter knuckle and hi steer
12 arp knuckle studs
v6 calipers
fj60 rotors
2 in wheel spacers
full rebuild kit

what do ya thunk?
ill post pics a little later i just got a new camera and i gotta figure it out

odyseuss

Sound like a good setup
Some othere things that might help:
an e-locker skid plate
ARP hub studs
cromo hub gears
Hydro assist (LMK when your ready to port that box)

Oh and maybe you could be a little nicer to this setup than the previous ones :greg:

Last edited:

projektdotnet

Cruiserhead
Between the original post and odyseuss' post it would be one sweet axle! (if you're going longs the cromo hub gears should be considered mandatory!)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Between the original post and odyseuss' post it would be one sweet axle! (if you're going longs the cromo hub gears should be considered mandatory!)

I really don't think so... I've busted a half dozen birfs, and Carl and I grenaded a Long in the UROC buggy... the hubs held up fine. I have seen several trashed hubs... I have a couple on my workbench, but I wouldn't go as far as to call them mandatory. That being said, I know those that have broken Longs... and have never had issues with Aisin Hubs (when properly maintained ;). Olly for example busted a couple Longs (not 30 spliners I must note, but they are not any stronger than the 27 spliners in practical senses)... I don't think he ever had an Aisin hub fail?

I know some don't like the idea of a "fuse" in the drivetrain... but at somepoint, something has to give, there are no two ways about it. In the case of an 8" front end... its either the R&P or the hub gear... mabey the hub studs but I've rarely seen those fail (when properly maintained!!! ;)). What would you rather be fixing in Moab? A broken hub (20 min. fix with cheap spares) or R&P?

Another thing to consider is what happens when the R&P does fail... it can take birfs, t-cases, and drivelines with it... I've seen it happen plenty of times. A hub gear fails... you might ruin the Aisin hub body? Most likely not if you hurry and address it (6 bolts and its out). If you don't have spare Aisins to carry, carry some Landcruiser drive flanges... not ideal for the road but they will get you off the trail.

Robbie, sounds like a stout setup to me :cool: Other than the TrailMart parts ;)

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Sounds mostly beefy, other than the truss won't help much--Toy axles typically don't bend in the middle where the truss goes, they bend between the spring perch and the knuckle ball, or the ball itself bends. FROR makes gussets for the knuckle balls, the rest would be up to you to beef up.

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
Oh and maybe you could be a little nicer to this setup than the previous ones :greg:

this wont happen:D but i do like the idea of an elocker skid plate..
...carry some Landcruiser drive flanges...
thats a cool idea. i have some of those.. but i guess i also have a spare hub too:-\
Robbie, sounds like a stout setup to me :cool: Other than the TrailMart parts ;)
i just dont want to get the shaft by marlin again. trail gear got me all the RIGHT parts that i ordered in 2 days!!

FROR makes gussets for the knuckle balls, the rest would be up to you to beef up.

trail gear threw those in for free:D

Last edited:

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob

i realized i dont have any diff armor... any good ideas? i was thinkin maybe just small 3/4in tube that raps tightly around the bottom kinda like a old skool football face mask, ive never seen it done, it might look cool, might not. or i could just go for the usual box look thats kinda cool. i also have a stock diff cover off of a rear land cruiser axle that fits perfectly over my diff. i was think i could weld just weld that on then i would look kinda the same but it would be stronger

Last edited:

94redtoy

short bus
you might want to also consider boxing in your perches. for diff armor, trail-gear sells one thats mean, just put one on my rear axle. you could go cheap and find a sewer cap, cut it in half and weld it on. and on the whole hub gear thing, if you run longfields, and the gear grenades and strips the splines, bobby wont warranty them. so definately get the gears.

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
the axle is on the truck and the truck is running strong, i took it on the freeway and it rode good. everything bolted up nicely and looks way stong i think im headed to moab next weekend, so we will find out for sure how they hold up. honestly traill gear was really good about shipping the parts out and sending the right parts i definatly would recomend them. you never know till you beat it up but every thing looks super stout
ill post tons off pics in the morning

billylight

allpro has the most American parts around for Toyota's right now not mention quality but like marlin there warehouse screws everything up. trail gear is a killer for allpro cause all there parts are from china. but trailgears warehouse is on it. always on time and also they like to send the correct part the first time. if trailgear doesn't put allpro out of business there warehouse will. marlin just sales all trailgear and allpro parts

camcruiser13

4x4labs 100% american made and quality blows the doors off any others. period

call them and find out for yourself

cant beat the design either

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
4x4labs 100% american made and quality blows the doors off any others. period

call them and find out for yourself

cant beat the design either

im always up for anything that is american made! ill give them a try next time for sure.

oh btw i consider my 4runner made in japan... then redesigned and rebuilt in america for my american needs (redneck)

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
so its been a while.. heres a fallowup

i thought i built a pretty good axle, and for the most part it was strong, but definatly not strong enough. since i built this axle i got a bigger motor, more of a lead foot and a liking for desert racing:D as much as i trussed it before it didn't work. i'll post pics of the fail points and where i need to reinforce. maybe i could get some feed back and ideas on what to do to prevent bends and breaks... also since then i still buy a few things from trail gear but have found a lot of their machine work to be extremely poor quality, and i will point that out in the pictures, as hard as it is sometimes to get marlin to pull through its worth it in the end.

broken bottom stud
1267228580.jpg

chipped rotor
1267229237.jpg

trail gear rock ring
1267230558.jpg

thats been put through the ringer
1267229235.jpg

if you look close you can see the housing is bent back where the short side goes into the pumpkin
1267230557.jpg

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
bent spring perch
1267228582.jpg

look at the bottom ear where the bearing sits its bent up? any ideas on how to reinforce this?
1267230947.jpg

on one side i had a busted trunion bearing, on the other a bust hishsteer arm nub thingy
1267230948.jpg

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
so far heres what ive got
85 housing
1267233499.jpg

knuckle ball gussets x2 ben hanks made the lowers for me
1267231975.jpg

1267231974.jpg

1267232286.jpg

shaved almost an inch
1267232285.jpg

added angy face!!
1267233500.jpg

i did away with the top truss because i dont think it really does anything like carl stated earlier
high pinion elocker with 410s and solid pinion spacer
30 spline longs
six shooter knuckles
trunnion bearring eliminator kit
stock hubs are still holding strong

Last edited: