Toyota cutting out -- again.

OREGON85

from OREGON
A few months ago my Toyota ('85 w/22RE) was cutting out under heavy throttle. I replaced the fuel filter and spark plug wires and it stopped. Now, a few months later, I have the opposite problem. It runs just fine with 1/4 throttle or more but misses and dies at idle or low throttle. I thought maybe it was getting to much air somewhere (ie. crack in intake) but a test with starter fluid did not reveal any such problems.

Any ideas?

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
check your throttle sensor on mass that will cause that, also i would replace your oxygen sensor both change the air to fuel ratio other than that check for bad wires on the connectors

leorn

reset
ah I hate engine gremlins. First things first. Is the check engine light on? If so follow instructions on this page and let us know whatever code comes up. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TroubleCodes/index.shtml

It's funny I finally had to replace a really old cat on my truck when the exhaust broke a couple of weeks ago. After that it runs a lot smoother when I downshift. I guess the backpressure is in a happier spot now.

If I were guessing I would do the free stuff first, like adjust the tps and check the plug wires. Also If you have been running your tank dry you might have sediment and it could be the filter again...that could be verified by checking fuel pressure. Good luck!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
ugh... That's no good.

What brand of plugs did you use? I had similar issues when I fell for the Bosch platinum hype once upon a time. Also where did you get the wires? If they were from Autozone or Checker there's a good chance they are bad or need to be replaced. Does it sound like its firing on all cylinders? Is it rough as its trying to run? Does the engine run smooth at 1/4 throttle and higher? Watery exhaust or gassy smell in the tailpipe?

Does it still have this problem when it is up to operating temperature? I had a bad cold start injector connection once and it had this exact same problem but only when cold--it went away with a warm engine. Good luck.

Andrew

OREGON85

from OREGON
I didn't replace the plugs, just the wires. I got the wires at Checker. Could they already be bad with only about 500 miles? The last time they went bad it cut out only at higher throttle.

It doesn't have any trouble a 1/4 throttle or higher or if it is still cold. It doesn't happen until it warms up. It runs perfectly fine cold or at higher throttle.

No check engine light on either. Wouldn't TPS or mass air flow sensor acting up turn on the check engine light?

If it were the fuel filter I would think it would cut out at higher throttle, not when I let off.

OREGON85

from OREGON
It kind-of reminds me of when I had a small tear in the rubber elbow in the intake before the manifold, only not as bad. I tried spraying starting fluid around that area, but it never revved up at all.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
I have a similar problem and i have dianogosed it to crap and finally found that it is common problem of the mass air door sensor board wearing out, use a razor to open the top of the door assembly and inspect the circuit board it will be worn usally toward the back the low where the low throttle is used

864runner

I know I'm your hero
Since you figured out your problem I'm gonna try and jack your thread. Hope you don't mind.

Does it still have this problem when it is up to operating temperature? I had a bad cold start injector connection once and it had this exact same problem but only when cold--it went away with a warm engine. Good luck.

Andrew

Andrew,

My truck does this same thing when its cold. It also doesn't start some days when its really cold. How hard is it to replace a cold start injector and where should I get one, the dealer?

Thanks,
Erik