Toyota Front Shaft???

193kyle

Well I finally got my front shaft back today and have already run into problems. I am running the Trail Gear 12" Spline kit with single joints on both ends. i figured that with as long as the front shaft is(38" at ride height) that the single joints would have enough angle but it is binding up at the
t-case end really bad. Just wondering what my options are? It looks like the TG joint end has quite a bit more flex. Can I clearance the other end? If so how much material can I remove before I weaken it too much?
Here is the shaft
DSCN0442.jpg

Here is the Trail Gear joint(diff side)
DSCN0441.jpg

And here is the factory toyota joint(T-case side)
DSCN0440.jpg

Please help me out here, this front d-shaft has turned out to be a huge pain in the ass.
i am about ready to ditch these huge 5" springs for some 3"ers and drop this thing down a bit, it would probably solve a lot of problems.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Looks like you have early-model yokes, the '84 and later driveshafts have the longer yokes like the one on the TG spline.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Very Very common on lifted Toyota's, and even with 3" springs you'll have the same problem... Trust me :)

I run a Tom Wood's "super flex" 1310 u-joint on top, and that solved my probem for ,but It definatly came at a price $$$.

You can grind quite a bit out of your existing shaft just be smart about it :-\

Good luck,

Andrew

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
...or just get a junkyard shaft from a later model (rear shaft is obviously the most common, even 2WD should work), it'll do a lot more angle.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
It's funny how all of Toyota's front drive shafts look the same, but their all different in one way or another... Seems like there where about 5.7 billion changes made thruout the years :sick::rolleyes::rofl::rofl:

193kyle

Well thanks for all the help guys, I've got a buddy with a bunch of toyotas so I'm gonna go see what he has layin around but looks like I'll probably be running a cv. i was hoping not to just for simplicity but I don't think I have much choice. I'll keep you guys posted, thanks

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The CV shafts won't do as much angle as the single u-joint setups. They're nice for smoothness, but aren't necessary on a front driveshaft IMO.