Toyota Spring Swap

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Alright i'm looking at doing the ever popular "waggy" front 1/2 ton chevy Rear spring swap on my Toy. I've done some searching and I havn't been able to come up with an answer on this for the wagoneer springs do you want the 5 or 7 leaf.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Are they the same stiffness? Are the 7 leafs just thinner so they flex better? How much lift did the 7 give you? And does anyone know how much the 5's give?

I'm only looking to obtain about 3-4 inches of lift.

Also do the rear XJ spings fit and how do they perform?

Last but not least does anyone have some "waggys" for sale.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by trd270
Come on guys I need some help :p I found a pair of 5 and a pair of 7's.

I would say start with the 7 leaf pack and if it's too stiff, well you have plenty of leafs to pull from to soften it up.

Have you looked at 2.5" YJ leafs? If you got a Softride 2.5" leaf pack it would flex & ride great & lift a Toy about 3.5 - 4"! I used 4" YJ's and the are a bit stiff, but still flex decent.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Sweet thanks for the info, I guess I'll go and pull those springs tomorrow and if there to stiff just pull some leafs. I really can't go wrong for a 100 bucks for the front and 80 for the chevy rears.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
P&P has half price day this weekend here. is that nation wide?
Hey greg don't the yj rears fit exactly in the same spot as toy rears? No hanger mods? I don't have my stats in front of me. 7leaf will give maybee 5" lift. The drop hanger helps pinion angle. Otherwisse they could technically fit without any real mods. Shave the busing width about 1/8 inch. and they will fit in stock hangers.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Well there is no P&P up here although I do find 100 reasonable enough. As far as the tj springs go do they flex better and how far do they move the axle. I've done a lot of searching on pirate and everyone seems to have a different answer.

And as far as this drop hanger thing goes i've also searched on this and came up with nada, i'm still a little confused is that the front spring mount moved down on the frame such as one would do if he was doing a SAS

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
the tj's are eisier to do than the chevs. I think they are the same length as toyota rears...here is a buddie of mine with stats....http://www.tennessee4x4.com/toyota/misc__spring_information.htm
The front hanger usually drops 2.5 inches and then you can push the front forward like .75 inches. It throw in the spring and see. Why are you getting springs while you are across the country from your ride?

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by Skyetone
Hey greg don't the yj rears fit exactly in the same spot as toy rears? No hanger mods? I don't have my stats in front of me.

Yeah, the spring hanger is a little tight, but I didn't grind mine much, as I had plans to build a new hanger. I moved my axle forward 2.5". Its ALOT, and every once in a while, my Draglink will just brush my Tierod and scrape the paint. I have never felt it in the steering wheel though! The approach angle is great! I just redrilled my center pin and there it is!

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
the tj's are eisier to do than the chevs. I think they are the same length as toyota rears...here is a buddie of mine with stats....http://www.tennessee4x4.com/toyota/misc__spring_information.htm
The front hanger usually drops 2.5 inches and then you can push the front forward like .75 inches. It throw in the spring and see. Why are you getting springs while you are across the country from your ride?

Do you mean the tj's are easier to do than the waggy's because the chev's are for the rear or are you talking about putting tj springs in the rear?????

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
How do the TJ's flex up in the rear? I've seen a lot of pictures of the chev's and they seem to do pretty good. I havn't seen any pics of the TJ's though.

BWAHH I just called the junk yard 75 bucks for and IFS box 25 for all the p/s goodies now I just need a crank pulley that can accomidate 3 belts.:D

Last edited:

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
what are you going to do? Ship it all back in a box? send it out here via UPS? I don't have any rear spring pix for tj. The chevs are nice cuz they are long and flat. By the time they reach there bottoming out point there 12 inches of drop. but they also have a lot of spring wrap too. I think the tj's do ok. Search pirate....

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Nope I'm just gonna load them all up in a uhaul in OCT. Guess it's to late for the TJ's because I already have chev's and carl's fab'n me up some spring mounts and a drop hanger. I figured I would get them here because nobody's looking for them there easy and cheap to come by.

Ohh yeah did I mention the Army pays for me and all my parts to move back :D

Last edited:

taloola-yota

waggies front and tj's rear.

TJ's rear? Are you talking about Wrangler TJ coil springs? I'm a little slow, you guys keep talking about TJ's, could you fill me in on what you are talking about.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Originally posted by taloola-yota

TJ's rear? Are you talking about Wrangler TJ coil springs? I'm a little slow, you guys keep talking about TJ's, could you fill me in on what you are talking about.

I think ourself's being TOY people have confused the TJ with the YJ. :D

Is what we are talking about here is the wagoneer front spring swap and the chevy 1/2ton rear springs vs. Rear *TJ* springs.

Last edited: