Traction Bar.......

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
OK, while in Moab I learned alot about what I need to improve on my truck. One of my biggest handicaps was wheelhop that the double shackles create. Whenever I had a steep climb putting most of the weight on the rearend (Like the RockPile) , it got wheelhop right away and I went no where.

So now I need to build a Traction Bar. I want to do one with a shackle on the front end, but was wondering if I dared to build it out of PIPE? I know pipe is usually considered inferior when compared to DOM, but would pipe hold up well? If its questionable, then I'll forget it and do DOM. Speaking of, where do you get DOM? Guess I need to swing by Metal Mart!

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
if metal mart sells DOM let me know. Got some cages in my future.... I hear if you brace pipe your OK. I run some hella strong drill rig tube thats indestructible. I also ran into some gas pipe that is HARD as hell. I could not bend it in a HF bender. JUST got rid of it. :D my lower links are pipe, Kinda bad pic....

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
BTW a single link track bar w/shackle with a missing link suspention (you or me) will just allow the axle to walk up and down instead of hopping. You either need to make it solid on both ends or three point it.

Caleb

you can get DOM at marmon keystone in SLC...no you dont need an account and it runs about $1.82/ft.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
1.5 schedule 40 would do the trick!! i am positive!! if you gusset everything you shouldn't have any problems!

Ryan

Factory Tubular sells DOM by the foot. Personally I'd go DOM, but I've got a buttload of gaspipe at the shop if you want to try it with some of that.

If you want to stop by sometime we can talk.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Cool Ryan, thanks for the offer. I actually came accross a used Traction Bar that I picked up from Vonski, now I just need to make it work on my truck. Its DOM and has a Rod End, so it should be great.