Trailer Tires for 7k Axles

So we bought a new fifth wheel trailer last year and it is on the heavier side: 16.5k gvwr and 13.5k actual weight. It has dual 7k axles on it with load range E 16" tires. They are carrying about 6k on each axle.

Anyway, we towed it to Colorado Springs and St George last year without any problems, but we took it to Tucson last week and blew a tire out and another looks like it is getting ready to go - and it wasn't even over 90 degrees on any of this trip. I'm currently running Power King Towmax STR 235/80R16 trailer tires. Since my incidents I've learned these are pretty much junk, but it doesn't look like there are many good options out there. I've learned that although the trailer rated ST tires are rated high enough, they don't have nearly the safety margin that LT tires have on them. I'd like to just run good LT tires, which have a better safety margin, but it looks like I'd have to go to a giant tire that really wouldn't fit to get over 3500 lb rating. My rig isn't even close to rated weight, so I think it is reasonable to expect to get 7+ years of reliable service out of tires, assuming maintaining pressure and protecting them from the sun.

After some research, it looks like here are the two pretty clear options available as an upgrade:
1- Upgrade to Load Range F or G 16" tires. It looks like there are brands out there more reliable than the venerable 'Power King's I have. In order for this to be an option, I would need to verify that my current wheels are rated for higher than the 80 psi I am currently running or upgrade the wheels. I think F's run 90 psi and G's run 110.
2- Seems like the top end option is to upgrade to 17.5" commercial tires, like used on heavy truck low-boys etc. These are available in 215/75R17.5 load range H capable of 4800 lbs per wheel/tire. This would require upgrading to RV wheels that would bolt up to the 7k 8 lug axles (much smaller lugs than semi-truck wheels).

Any opinions or direct experience with this kind of thing?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
My flatbed is a heavy equipment hauler. And to keep a low trailer deck (it's deckover) they run 14.5s.
I've got load range G Maxxis tires on there now and I've had great luck with them.
I want to say they're rated very conservatively at 4200k each.

The horse people run the 17.5" tires, and they all drive as fast as freakin possible.
https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Taskmaster/TTWA215H-175WM.html

Yea, All my research seems to indicate that if you want to solve the problem permanently, the 17.5s are the sure way to do it. It makes sense since that is what the pros use and they wouldn't put up with blowouts every few thousand miles. I'd just have to cough up at least $1250 to do this with aluminum wheels.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Cry once, they say. Those 17.5" wheel/tires are where it's at. You won't believe how much cooler temps they run in the summer.

Toad

I just bought Sailun S637 tires of ebay. 235/80/16 in 14 ply. I think the seller was Simple Tire. I paid right at 500 bucks for all four. I dont have any long term experience with them yet. Their is a huge weight difference between these and the 10 plys I have used for years. Sidewalls are much thicker. Weight rating at just over 4000@110 psi

If the price is higher than that just wait a couple weeks it bounces around.

kts532

I changed to the G Rated tire on my Gooseneck. They are still 16" trailer tires but they have fixed the problem of blowing tires. They are over twice the cost but have made it so I don't have to change a tire on most trips. My wheels were made for the 110psi pressure so I did not have to worry. I like them because it pulls much better with the high pressure tires. The G rated tires look more like a truck tire.

Pulled a wheel last night and they are already rated for 110 psi. I’ve heard good things about the sailun tires, so i think it’s going to be sailun g rated 16” or h rated 17.5.

So after research, I'm looking seriously at the 17.5s. I'm also considering a third option: converting to 19.5 wheels and running commercial load range G tires, probably sailuns. Looks like I can do that for within a hundred bucks of the 17.5 option. The tires would be about an inch taller than current and 1.5 inches taller than the 17.5s. After more research on the 17.5s, I can't find anyone who has not had a good experience with them.