Trailered Vehicle Questions

kobyhud

Lurker
It's been a couple of years since I have had my rig out. I have tried to read the more recent threads about OHV stuff but need some updates.

I run a 95 SAS rodeo on full width axles. My vehicle is already a trailer queen. There is no way that I would ever want to exceed say 40-50MPH with my vehicle on the road. I will probably keep this vehicle as is until I either fry the transmission completely or until I roll it.

Back in the day (2007) I was able to squeeze my rig through state inspections by putting on cheerios that brought the tires back closer into my wheel wells. To pull this off again is probably going to cost me quite a bit of money and time. Including a new windshield $130, some new 8 lug cheerios (tires and rims) (???? at least a couple hundred bucks I would imagine), fender flare fun , a $150 turn signal switch, and most likely a new front bumper ($300 (if I build it myself)-$1000 depending on how much labor I want to put into it).

So my question is this. How bad is the pain of registering my vehicle as off-road only? Commentary I imagine should be about these things...
-Driving back to the trailer
-Driving around Moab
-One way trails
-Ticket price/consequences for not being registered (in case I want to just postpone this question for another year)
-Ticket price and consequences for being on the road for brief stints in an off-road only vehicle.

Some have posted that it isn't too terrible to get your vehicle registered again under the new rebuilt/restored VIN. This sounds reasonable to me, it always seemed ridiculous that your vehicle could never be registered again once you had gone OHV.

Manlaan

From what I understand of the law, you wont be able to drive it anywhere in Salt Lake County. For other counties, you can't drive it on roads that have two or more lanes in each direction, or on those that the city has restricted. I want to say the main road in/out of Moab is multilane, so that wouldn't be allowed.

Consequences will be up to the cop, as officially, they could impound/tow you.

It's been a couple of years since I have had my rig out. I have tried to read the more recent threads about OHV stuff but need some updates.

I run a 95 SAS rodeo on full width axles. My vehicle is already a trailer queen. There is no way that I would ever want to exceed say 40-50MPH with my vehicle on the road. I will probably keep this vehicle as is until I either fry the transmission completely or until I roll it.

Back in the day (2007) I was able to squeeze my rig through state inspections by putting on cheerios that brought the tires back closer into my wheel wells. To pull this off again is probably going to cost me quite a bit of money and time. Including a new windshield $130, some new 8 lug cheerios (tires and rims) (???? at least a couple hundred bucks I would imagine), fender flare fun , a $150 turn signal switch, and most likely a new front bumper ($300 (if I build it myself)-$1000 depending on how much labor I want to put into it).

So my question is this. How bad is the pain of registering my vehicle as off-road only? Commentary I imagine should be about these things...
-Driving back to the trailer
-Driving around Moab
-One way trails
-Ticket price/consequences for not being registered (in case I want to just postpone this question for another year)
-Ticket price and consequences for being on the road for brief stints in an off-road only vehicle.

Some have posted that it isn't too terrible to get your vehicle registered again under the new rebuilt/restored VIN. This sounds reasonable to me, it always seemed ridiculous that your vehicle could never be registered again once you had gone OHV.

CrawlerCraig

I just did the OHV tag and it was like 30 $ and took 2 trips the the DMV and one trip for a local police officer to come to my house and inspect that the new VIN # was inplace and the old one was gone. He also check to make sure it wasn't stolen!
You could do it all in one day if planned out right.

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
Ohv is your best bet, I am good friends with a cop in moab(imagine that) and I've been told that as long as you are driving from trail to trail, trail to camp, hotel to trail etc, they will leave you alone with an ohv tag. But technically Moab is not an ohv legal city so if you are being a douche to the cop they can impound your rig. Mostly they just dont want to see people cruising main street in their buggies or making it unsafe for others. Be as safe and curtious as possible and you'll be good

Ohv is your best bet, I am good friends with a cop in moab(imagine that) and I've been told that as long as you are driving from trail to trail, trail to camp, hotel to trail etc, they will leave you alone with an ohv tag. But technically Moab is not an ohv legal city so if you are being a douche to the cop they can impound your rig. Mostly they just dont want to see people cruising main street in their buggies or making it unsafe for others. Be as safe and curtious as possible and you'll be good

yes moab local cops county and city will let you. UHP will not and over EJS it has more northern ticket happy cops than locals so the odds of you getting away with it is very slim. i'm friends with quite a few county sheriffs and city police officers in moab and they all understand as long as we're obeying the laws. the 3 UHP cops i've talked to over the last 5 yrs all told me that if it shouldn't be on the road then they'll remove it from "their" roads

zukijames

city cops and county are more relaxed during safari but lots of other law enforcement will be in town to make money.. id avoid 191/main street as much as possible..

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
The best route is to use four straps. Cross them so the pass side of the rig is attached to the driver side of the trailer and visa versa. It will be a debate over tying to the frame or the axles. I like the frame myself.

The quickest is to wrap one chain on the rear end around the diff then to each rear corner of the trailer. Then use a strap up front to tighten it all down, letting the rig roll forward. Some use their winch for this.

What ever you feel more comfortable with.