tranny t-case combo options

tiny2085

HomeGrown
I have a 86 chev blazer full size, 60 front 14 rear and 350 under the hood. As of right now i do not have a tranny/t-case combo, I was thinking one of the following. th400/205, th350/dana300, th350/205. What are everyones thought on one or the other ?

VANDALL

There all a good combo, But If u can get 400/205 an then get a low range kit for the t-case that would be the bomb!!!!

VANDALL.

tiny2085

HomeGrown
I was thinking 400/205, but what about gearing, doesn't the 400 have the highest first gear out of the 350 and 400? I"m only running 4.10's.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
The difference in gearing isn't that big, really.

your stuff is 4.10's???? We need to talk. I've got a set of 4.56 axles that may be a touch low for the wife's Blazer. 4.10's might work for me though.
:eek:

tiny2085

HomeGrown
staz works makes a doubler kit for 450$ and a spud shaft for 50$. i'm not running a big block or anything, so a th350 should hold up to the overweightness of my blazer, right ?

hey tacoma what axles do you have with 4.56's? Sounds a little nicer that 4.10's.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I've got a 60/14bolt. ;)

I'd use the 400, I just like overbuilt whenever possible. The 350 just has always seemed like a lightweight to me. It'll probably be fine.

Last edited:

Caleb

VANDALL said:
I know that LOWMAX makes a gear kit 4 the 205 now...

VANDALL.

not yet, they have yet to be released, and it is a whole new case with gears installed. They are only in chevy config and are only a 3:1 gear set. If I'm going to be buying a whole new case it will be an Atlas or a Stak case...

Caleb

tiny2085 said:
staz works makes a doubler kit for 450$ and a spud shaft for 50$. i'm not running a big block or anything, so a th350 should hold up to the overweightness of my blazer, right ?

hey tacoma what axles do you have with 4.56's? Sounds a little nicer that 4.10's.

the adapter staz works offers seems to be pretty nice but I would go else where for the intermediate shaft. He just resplines your stock shaft and there have been quite a few that have had problems with doing that. Why do you think ORD started making all new intermediate shafts (rather than resplining like they used to do on the Gen I kit). For the coolest Doubler setup look into Northwest Fab...thats a sweet setup.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
yeah, that kit looks baaaad! I wonder how all the pieces are holding up... on the face of it I prefer one piece, but the interchangeability and clocking options are pretty sweet too. Hell of a piece of machining!

Caleb

Tacoma said:
yeah, that kit looks baaaad! I wonder how all the pieces are holding up... on the face of it I prefer one piece, but the interchangeability and clocking options are pretty sweet too. Hell of a piece of machining!

the only one thats one piece is ORD (WMS may be one piece though). Staz Works is two piece, either he welds it for you or you can weld it yourself and as you know the NWF kit is two piece. As long as it doesn't leak the two piece desiogn doesn't bother me.