Trans Grinds when Shifting

samitoy

I have a 91 Toyota 4 runner 5 speed that grinds in every gear. It seam to me that the warmer the runner gets the less it grinds. I have replaced the slave cylinder and still have the same problem maybe got worse.

Does anyone have any idea of my problem and could you give me suggestions???

R

rockdog

If the oil level is full and the clutch is fully disengauging. I'd say it's syncros. Yes it has em.

Meat_

Banned
How many miles? Do you ever shift without a clutch? Whatever the answers, it's most likely the syncros.

samitoy

It grinds even if I try to speed shift it.

It's got 212,000 miles.

I don't know the first thing about replacing the syncro mesh. I is hard??? Would it take special tools??? What do you think the cost would be???

thanks,

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
syncros for sure. manual trannys aren't that hard to rebuild. just pop it and have at it. Shouldn't take any special tools.

R

rockdog

I'd bet you can find a used trany for less than the syncros will cost you from the dealer. ( probly the only place you'll find em) If you do decide to do it make sure you've got a well detailed manual. Because it really sucks to have a pile of ball bearings on the bench and not know where they came from or know how to get em back in. ;)

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
you should be able to get a trans rebuild kit for like $150 that will include the new syncros. personally i'd rebuild then you're basically getting a new tranny

R

rockdog

onetuff76 said:
you should be able to get a trans rebuild kit for like $150 that will include the new syncros. personally i'd rebuild then you're basically getting a new tranny

Priced toy parts lately? Everything for them is usually double what you pay for chev, ford ,dodge parts.

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
can't say I have but typically you can pick up a rebuild kit from a place like tourist transmissions for about $150

samitoy

I think I will price out the rebiuld kit if the price is not reasonable then I will just buy the used one that I found for $175.

The sound of a new one is a great idea but I don't know if I could handle the mass confusion of rebuilding a Trans.