Trying to convince my mom in getting a 4runner for her self... help me out here.

TROKITA

So my mom rightnow has a Lincoln navi and rightnow im replacing the gas pump because it stopped working... sense she bought it, its had problems, not too bad of problems, its never left her til now, but it has broken to that point where you're like, what the heck why did that break why did this stop working..... so now she's going to get rid of it, also because its a gas monster. My brother is telling her to get a FORD Escape because its cheaper in everything, price, parts, etc. I say BS because its american (no offence to anybody reading this but its true) it break's more often and they get a lot of problems in the early mile's. i also told her that the market for 4runners and tacoma's is bigger in parts then an escape.

So i need support here. websites of comparing them both or vids, advice, anything helps, story's, just so she can see and make the right choice before she make's the same mistake and a waste of money. thanks. or if you guys think that there's another car that would be better then say. thanks :)

Caleb

Well, they are two completely different class of vehicles. You'll pay more upfront for an equivalent 4-runner (years, miles, options, etc and especially if buying new) but problems down the road are probably less likely. I'm not an american mfg fan at all, but I would say you'll have a really tough time to offset those costs. My opinion is the 4-runner will cost more to own. It gets worse mileage, parts are more expensive when they do wear out, and upfront is more expensive. With that said, I'd personally buy a 4-runner over an Escape any day even if it were more expensive. If it's purely a money thing, then the Escape would be a better vehicle.

TROKITA

Well, they are two completely different class of vehicles. You'll pay more upfront for an equivalent 4-runner (years, miles, options, etc and especially if buying new) but problems down the road are probably less likely. I'm not an american mfg fan at all, but I would say you'll have a really tough time to offset those costs. My opinion is the 4-runner will cost more to own. It gets worse mileage, parts are more expensive when they do wear out, and upfront is more expensive. With that said, I'd personally buy a 4-runner over an Escape any day even if it were more expensive. If it's purely a money thing, then the Escape would be a better vehicle.
ya 4 runner waste more gas, but you wont have to worry about stuff malfunctioning quite as often, and in a long run wouldn't an escape be more expensive with problem after problem, and finding parts aswell... the tacoma and the runner has Forums like this one and yota tech and tacoma world where you can find parts for really cheap, and not just that videos and discussion in how to fix pretty much anything... and another thing that we have, UTAH has is KSL classifieds where its pretty much a treasure box of parts and money savor. in ksl for tacoma and 4runners there's always 20-40 pages of just parts and aftermarket stuff, witch for any other car there's not that much to find in there.....

Caleb

ya 4 runner waste more gas, but you wont have to worry about stuff malfunctioning quite as often, and in a long run wouldn't an escape be more expensive with problem after problem, and finding parts aswell... the tacoma and the runner has Forums like this one and yota tech and tacoma world where you can find parts for really cheap, and not just that videos and discussion in how to fix pretty much anything... and another thing that we have, UTAH has is KSL classifieds where its pretty much a treasure box of parts and money savor. in ksl for tacoma and 4runners there's always 20-40 pages of just parts and aftermarket stuff, witch for any other car there's not that much to find in there.....

You're talking about different classes of vehicles. Is your mom looking to build her vehicle? Or is she like most moms and wants a comfortable daily driver? I think you're over exaggerating on the problems the ford MIGHT have. If you were trying to compare an Escape to a RAV4, then you're in the same price range...with the Escape vs. 4runner, your starting off with a $10K difference in price atleast. I've owned a ton of vehicles and besides my projects, I've NEVER had $10K in repairs for a simple daily driver over the life of the vehicle. So, again, if it's purely a money thing, I'm quite confident the Escape will be a cheaper vehicle to own.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I've actually heard great things about Escapes.. The older ones with true 4WD, and get very respectable gas mileage. Parts are not going to be hard to come by.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I've loved my '00 Explorer, and I'm sad that we'll be getting rid of it soon. Not all Fords are "found on the road dead".

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I'd look more into earlier Kia Sorentos before I looked deeply into Ford Escapes. The Sorentos have a great V6 and full boxed truck frame; even owned a few of the Dakar rallies.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
The escape is actually a pretty decent vehicle. I drove one for work and put it through hell. Ford had come a long way in the last few years and put out great vehicles.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I'm guessing your mom doesn't wheel, so all that aftermarket toyota stuff won't do her much good.