Turkey turkey turkey turkey turkey!

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I cannot wait for Turkey Day. I loooooooooooooooove Turkey Day.

We normally roast a 14 or 15 pound bird with a grip of sausage stuffing (cooked in the bird, natch), sweet potatoes (none of those nasty marshmallows :mad:), green beans (with bacon and onion, nom nom nom), and acorn squash (butter, rock salt, and a just a touch of brown sugar). We have leftovers for days, and normally have to freeze stuff so it doesn't go bad.

What's your spread look like?

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Not gonna talk about the spread but this will be the first year to have my parents down from Oregon for Thanksgiving so it should be good. My dad is coming down to tack on my stripe for my promotion ceremony which should be one or two days before Turkey day. Gonna be a good week for sure and that doesn't even include the awesome pay raise.

Tonkaman

Since divorce is so popular these days my daughter has 4 sets of grandparents that insist we have a thanksgiving celebration with them. To make it all work we spread out thanksgiving dinners one a weekend for the whole month. I've already had one turkey day and am about to have another, it's going to be a fat month in our house

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Since divorce is so popular these days my daughter has 4 sets of grandparents that insist we have a thanksgiving celebration with them. To make it all work we spread out thanksgiving dinners one a weekend for the whole month. I've already had one turkey day and am about to have another, it's going to be a fat month in our house

I like this idea!

jeeper

I am glad to see someone else likes thanksgiving as much as me! I t drives me INSANE that it gets skipped over in anticipation of Christmas! Cant we be grateful before we be selfish???? Can't we enjoy the great heritage of our country a little???

As for our meal, I got turned on to deep fried turkey while doing a short tour in Mississippi, and have never looked back! We usual go for 2 fried turkey's (one made celiac friendly). While prepping the birds, I throw in some bloomin' onions for a little appetizer.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
The perfect Turkey day for me is having the rigs already on the trailer before we go to dinner.

Eat earlier in the day, take some Tupperware for leftovers,
head to Moab right after dinner and enjoy left overs on the trail somewhere all weekend long. :D

not this year though :(

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I cannot wait for Turkey Day. I loooooooooooooooove Turkey Day.

We normally roast a 14 or 15 pound bird with a grip of sausage stuffing (cooked in the bird, natch), sweet potatoes (none of those nasty marshmallows :mad:), green beans (with bacon and onion, nom nom nom), and acorn squash (butter, rock salt, and a just a touch of brown sugar). We have leftovers for days, and normally have to freeze stuff so it doesn't go bad.

What's your spread look like?

I assume your RME family is invited. What time do you want us there?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I still fondly remember the year when my older sister, her then-husband and I jointly decided we didn't want to go through all the effort to make a traditional Thanksgiving meal... so we just had pizza instead.

I assume your RME family is invited. What time do you want us there?

And this. :rofl:

sixstringsteve

we eat at noon, then leave to go camping that evening. Family tradition. We always get the place to ourselves, it's quite nice.

jeeper

I'm surprised none of you have posted that your going to make a bacon wrapped turkey.

We shoved a pound of bacon inside a turkey once, then stuck it in the fryer. It didn't turn out.. I don't remember details, but I haven't tried it again, so it must have failed. Had it been a success I am sure it would have been duplicated over and over.

jeeper

It's Almost turkey time again!!

I am looking for some new rub recipes for the fryer. Anybody have a super special, extra delicious, secret recipe to share?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I think thanksgiving is a messed up holiday. I am grateful that I can afford enough food in one meal to feed a family for a week or so. Then I will eat until I am sick.

Enjoy being hungry poor people. Happy Thanksselfish.

Don't get me wrong, I never miss an opportunity to over eat so we do the thanksgiving thing.

Last edited:

jeeper

I think thanksgiving is a messed up holiday. I am grateful that I can afford enough food in one meal to feed a family for a week or so. Then I will eat until I am sick.

Enjoy being hungry poor people. Happy Thanksselfish.

Way to kill the excitement..

Thanksgiving is a time to be grateful for the bountiful land we live in. For the opportunities that life gives us.

It's nothing like the selfish give-me holiday of Christmas

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Way to kill the excitement..

Thanksgiving is a time to be grateful for the bountiful land we live in. For the opportunities that life gives us.

It's nothing like the selfish give-me holiday of Christmas

You view thanksgiving differently than most people I know.

Not everyone views Christmas as the give-me holiday. I can see exactly what you are saying though.