u-joint replacement

rajncajn

Is there anyone willing to help me fix my driveline? It just needs one u-joint replaced. I don't have a hydraulic press and have never replaced a u-joint. I think this is hindering my ability to sell my bronco. Any takers. Give me a price or let me buy you some brew.

Bucking Bronco

I would like to buy the bronco but my future wife says I have to many projects already

I can help but I wont be able to until the first of next month possibly sundy the sept 30

also you might try selling this on www.fullsizebronco.com
and of course ksl.com is my favorite next to RME that is

KC7SMO

'Yup, its Ham Radio...
I have found that a small pitman arm puller, like one for a small car, works great to "press" out U-Joints. Just stick a socket or something in there to help extend the reach of the pullers bolt, and crank away. It's extra easy if you have an impact wrench. I like this method better then hammering away on it.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Bring the drive shaft and a new u-joint over here and I'll help you replace it. It'll take five minutes. I'm in West Valley and (hopefully) I'll be in the garage most of the weekend anyway. PM me if you want directions. I have a press or I can show you how to do it without one. :)

Bart

I've done many (over 30) the way described on the Pirate thread. While reading up on a CTM install it warned against using a hammer and socket, and strongly recommended a press. I don't want to hijack the thread, but what do you y'all think?

Meat_

Banned
I know a certain driveline shop that NEVER uses a press, with that said if you don't know what you are doing you can quickly screw up a ujoint with a hammer.... but then if you don't know what you are doing you can screw one up with a press.

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
I know a certain driveline shop that NEVER uses a press, with that said if you don't know what you are doing you can quickly screw up a ujoint with a hammer.... but then if you don't know what you are doing you can screw one up with a press.

I noticed, the certain driveline shop, also had custom jigs welded to a metal table for said hammer use.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
You can take a hammer and smack the side of the shaft just below the cap a few times and the cap will walk right out. You don't have to use the socket, it is just a simple way for a newbe to learn.

rajncajn

crisis adverted...i knocked the hell out of it and what do you know, it came out!...thanks for all the offers and advice. drove it to the gas station and filled up the tires. Now its streetable, not legal, but driveable :)

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com

Put the one yoke in the vise (not tight, just use the vise to support the yoke so you can beat on the thing) and smack the other yoke. Keep turning the driveline so you are pushing all of the caps into each yoke tighter. Doing this loosens up the joint and lowers it's friction/heat. Important for drivelines that run high rpms....Not so much on front axles with hubs...

Any clearerererer now? :p

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Is heat really that much of an issue for a u joint? Trail rig or otherwise?

IMO the seal can't handle the heat created and will wear out faster. The grease also and then leaks out faster. So IMO not doing this shortens the u joints life. It takes an extra minute to do this step, so I do it. Is it required? not sure...