unsprung weight

cheapzuk

is alot of unsprung weight bad? I have run across a few threads were people have mentioned it but was wondering how bad it is and why. I would think it would keep your center of gravity low. Please give me an answer to all of my stupid questions. :D

Caleb

I think its a matter of personal preference...but here is my thoughts on unsprung weight...too much is gonna keep you rubber side down but is also going to add a ton of weight to the overall vehicle meaning more broken parts trying to move around the extra weight...too little means you are likely under built, (unless you have some good $$$ invested) again, which results in broken parts...I think you need to experiment and find that happy medium you feel good about...

P

pokeyYJ

Too much unsprung wieght will adversly effect your suspension and its ability to control the tires and the vehicles sway. I say lighter is better

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Comes back to what you are going to be doing with it...
IFS is an attempt to reduce unsprung weight. The less unsprung weight you have the more comfortable you are going to be going down the highway.
The opposite would be agricultural machinery. The only suspension is in the seat and then they also increase the unsprung weight by adding liquid to the tires.
I personally would rather take a tractor offroad than granny's caddy.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
go unsprung weight!
it keeps your tires on the ground, thats partly why people run water.

i personally wish i had more unsprung weight in the rearend of my rig, it is too light and takes away from my flex and comes up when i go down steep hills.

but the heavier an object is, the harder it is to push it over an obstacle, so you have to find a good in between