Other Region Upcoming Trip: Rubicon Trail Lake Tahoe, CA Sept 5-8th 2012

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
My issue #1 has just been overcome: I was successful at arranging the time off of work. :)

BTW: Steve, have you checked the trail schedule to see if our proposed dates are "available" to run? When I first looked into it last year, I remember reading on more than one Rubicon Trail site that any prospective attendees should check to make sure there are no organized events planned for the date(s) they want to run the trail.

brikar

We once had a couple of open jeeps with 33's and they did not have all that much trouble...a little momentum at times, but they are good drivers and pick good lines. In fact they probably had a lot more fun getting through the trail. The Rubicon is really not a very hard trail. Yes there are some real obstacles that are pretty challenging, however they are also easily bypassed. The first 4 door JK we saw was a test run of some open, no lift stock jk's cruising through the Rubicon...the testers where loving it because you got to actually pick lines instead of point and shoot. Remember this trail has been run since what the 1920's? I know the trail has changed but I am pretty sure whatever you are driving today has a little better technology. I think every wheeler should have the Rubicon Trail on top of their Bucket list...just go prepared and don't go alone you will not regret it.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
We had a group run the Rubicon a year ago. A Grand Cherokee on 35's locked f&r and a SAS'd Tacoma on 37's with duals (2.23x4.7), locked f&r. Remember the nasty winter we had a year and a half ago? Yeah, Tahoe had about 2x that. The entire trail had changed, obstacles were 2 - 3 times more difficult due to runoff eroding the trail. The Tacoma rarely uses the 2.23 in Moab and had to run Low/Low the entire time. The Grand Cherokee was riding sliders over every rock. Winches and tow straps were used on occasion. When they got home, they check YouTube and saw 31's and 33's going over the same obstacles they struggled with on 35's/37's. Rocks that were 1 - 2 feet high were now 3 - 4 feet.

Not to scare anyone, but after that nasty winter, the trail is much more difficult than it used to be. Now, they may have been exaggerating a bit, but I do believe the terrain significantly changed after the Winter of 2010/2011. I don't know the current condition of it (repairs may have been made) so we may want to find out ASAP from someone who has been there in the past 6 - 8 months.

brikar

In our experience the biggest thing that slows you down on the Rubicon....excluding some kind of breakdown...is simply like any other trail....the number of vehicles and people. We had 10 with us the first time and it was a little slow, its really not the driving it is the stopping and then trying to get everyone going again. People love to watch, talk, and enjoy each other(the best part about the sport). This is what will determine how quickly you go across it. With 10 vehicles the leader might stop, in 5 to 15 minutes time the whole group might be caught up (constant minor obstacles allow the group to slowly spread out, more so than on Moab type trails were you can catchup on the smooth stuff). Another 10 minutes and the leader might be ready to go but others in the rear are not (bathroom, checking out a weird noise, laughing about being caught on a rock, making a sandwhich). Before long you have been there for 30 to 45 minutes. The second time we went we had 4 vehicles and we made it through most of the trail (rubicon springs to Wentworth springs) in a short afternoon with plenty of stopping and talking and messin around... Either way you will have a blast and really enjoy yourself, just i can not stress enough you should plan to run it both ways (barring a bad mechanical breakdown). For those who will be using a trailer it takes a long time to get to both sides of the trail via pavement its a logistical nightmare, make sure you figure that one out.

sixstringsteve

Well said brikar, thanks for the tip. We had about 25 people on the hole in the rock trail this spring and I went really smooth.

I do have one additional requirement for those coming: you must have a functioning CB.

sixstringsteve

BTW: Steve, have you checked the trail schedule to see if our proposed dates are "available" to run? When I first looked into it last year, I remember reading on more than one Rubicon Trail site that any prospective attendees should check to make sure there are no organized events planned for the date(s) they want to run the trail.

Rubicon trail info here:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1031967

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Steve, I thought you were putting a minimum equipment requirement on rigs that are going so it isn't a winch fest? I have watched recent youtube videos and spoken with a friend who ran the trail before and after last years runoff and the trail is harder than it was prior. Think of the rock garden up Mineral Basin before and after last year and stretch that out for 10 miles. Aside from the 2 major obstacles of Wayne's World and Eagle's nest the snakes are a walk in the park compared to some spots of the Rubicon. Here are a few videos to increase familiarity.

[video=youtube;cqYrg-9_G68]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqYrg-9_G68[/video]

[video=youtube;zV3RK61igvo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV3RK61igvo[/video]

This one is since last years runoff

[video=youtube;F-bjOEi8pIU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-bjOEi8pIU&feature=related[/video]

sixstringsteve

that last video definitely show it more washed out than the others. Good video. I'm pumped for this trip.

I think radiator rapids is a really tough spot on constrictor. I definitely don't want a winch-fest. We'll do some pre-runs up hanging tree and constrictor before then.

is it safe to assume that hanging tree and the rubicon are the same difficulty level? Or is hanging tree harder? I know that the rubi has gnarly places, I'm just talking about the trail, taking all bypasses.

DAA

Man... This trip is going to be soooooo much fun. Always wanted to do this, never have. And my September is sooooooo booked. Crap...

If by some unforseen circumstances the hunting show guys I'm scheduled to guide that week cancel, I'll be asking for a last minute fill in spot!

- DAA

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Well my Fall hunts just got shut down by the Air Force so as we get closer if there is still room I will try and swing it.

sixstringsteve

Man... This trip is going to be soooooo much fun. Always wanted to do this, never have. And my September is sooooooo booked. Crap...

If by some unforseen circumstances the hunting show guys I'm scheduled to guide that week cancel, I'll be asking for a last minute fill in spot!

- DAA

What do I need to do to create said "unforseen circumstances"? :D

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
[video=youtube;cqYrg-9_G68]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqYrg-9_G68[/video]

Ah, yes, the Project JK Rubicon run. In part 3 (seen above), I'd like to point out 3:41 where the 4dr JK Rubicon gets hung up and needs to be strapped off, then stack rocks, and finally bystanders must shove and muscle the Jeep to get it through the obstacle... but the all-stock TJ next in line manages to drive right through without incident. :D

I think radiator rapids is a really tough spot on constrictor.

Where is radiator rapids, exactly? Which obstacle is that?

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Ah, yes, the Project JK Rubicon run. In part 3 (seen above), I'd like to point out 3:41 where the 4dr JK Rubicon gets hung up and needs to be strapped off, then stack rocks, and finally bystanders must shove and muscle the Jeep to get it through the obstacle... but the all-stock TJ next in line manages to drive right through without incident. :D

Where is radiator rapids, exactly? Which obstacle is that?

Radiator Rapids is that sharp left turn right before Eagles Nest. It can be a tough spot if you don't get the right line right away.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Radiator Rapids is that sharp left turn right before Eagles Nest.

Ah, okay. I didn't know it had a specific name; I've always just called it The Left Turn. (Guess I can use its proper name from now on.)

BTW: Steve, you can upgrade me from 'sitting on the fence' to definitely making the Rubicon Trail trip! This morning I've already begun spending money on hardware needed for this expedition. :D