upcoming wheeling trip in May

rondo

rondo
I know RME has some great guys, and since i don't know very many people, i thought i'd toss this out to anyone who might want to join us. It will be a small group of rigs but room for more.

We'll start in Montrose, and we don't know the terrain well as it's been 2 years since we've been there. anyone like to guide us around Montrose or grand junction?

about us: every year i go moab wheeling with my best bud from Col Springs. He has a buggy and my YJ is pretty built up. We like to challenge ourselves on the trails. we're very easy going and like to meet new folks.

this is where we're staying:
http://riversideoasis.com/

here’s the plan:

10May (sat) travel SLC to Montrose CO, camp or cheap hotel, check in.

11-12May (sun-mon) These trails are nasty and they’ll peel the paint right off. last time i went 1/2 of the rigs broke something, including axle shafts, body damage, and a steering box torn clean off.

13May(tues), depart early morning for grand junction, run 21 road. This should be an easy trail? Hit moab that night.

14-16May: hit some moab trails, probably ones like Pritchett canyon, golden spike, behind the rocks, area BFE, etc. although i'd love to try something new.

17May (sat) families and kids come down. the trails will probably be fairly tame since little kids are along; Kane Creek would be fun with this group, and we are up for suggestions from anyone. I read about one called Pickle, and would love to do that one but don’t know where it is.

19May(mon) depart Moab for SLC. Go back to work L

anyone wants to join us, let us know :D

ron

lineforeman99

Post up here a couple of days before you leave SLC. I am always up for a trail. I live here in Montrose. I will be available on Sun. the 11th.

Butch

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Humm.... with my current work schedule I'll be off all of those days. Let me know when the trip gets closer, I'd love to join you for the Colorado wheelin.

Don't count on 21 Road being easy, it's really a trail that is what you make of it. It's moderately-difficult and can be hard if you prefer, and most do... ;) One of our last RME runs up 21 Road ended mid-trail and in the dark, due to some carnage. The first time I ran 21 Road, back in 2001, I busted a steering box doing nothing spectacular... I was just bound up. It's the type of trail that can bite you when you least expect it. Also, it's a long trail... If you have a quick moving group, you'll be out in 4-5 hrs. If you're stopping a lot, it will be an all day trail.

You may have seen this, but here's the album of pics from a 21 Road run in '06.- http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/gallery/v/21+Road/

rondo

rondo
Gentlemen,
thanks for the comments and advice. Yes, 21 road looks worse than i've heard. As for Montrose, we did a trail called scratch and dent, and the other i can't recall the name. they were nasty. on one, the steering box seperated from the scrambler in the group. my pal welded it with 2 batterys. some guys from alpine off road led us on that run.

would love to see ya both if you're free then.

ron

Scratch and dent is the easiest trail in Montrose or on the westernslope for that matter. Step up to Die Trying or Cactus and Cactus II for a real challenge. Also, you might consider Billings near GJ, rather than 21Rd. We may tag along if time schedule allows.

I will be in Moab this May and it would be great to have someone to wheel with. Only problem is: the Samurai that I'm bringing, probably isn't ready for the trails that you plan until you drop the level down for the kids. Keep us informed.
John

rondo

rondo
Gutwrench,
it's been a while since i was in Moab, but i believe Die Trying is definitely one of the ones we did. The trail near Billings sounds great to me if you are around to be trail guide.

Silverton,
you should definitely hook up with us. We wouldn't take you on anything you're not prepared for. There may very well be some trails up front that your rig can handle. If we link up in Moab we can discuss what you're up for. Beautiful thing about Moab is that even stock vehicles can go a ton of places down there :)

Gutwrench,
it's been a while since i was in Moab, but i believe Die Trying is definitely one of the ones we did. The trail near Billings sounds great to me if you are around to be trail guide.

Die Trying is in Montrose. Your first weekend the club in Rangely is having a trail clean up day I need to attend and during the week I've got to work and can't do Billings with you. Sorry.

wydej

LJSean
I will be in moab may 16-19 with the family I would enjoy wheeling with you. flat iron mesa is a fun trail with the family or metal masher. I would really like to do rusty nail if you are interested.

rondo

rondo
This trip is going to happen. There's at least one RME'r comfirmed to join us. I've pm'd a couple of you my cell #. I'll check this post this coming fri morning if anyone else would like to link up. thx for the interest.