UROC St. George, buckle up.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
People with more money are always going to have an advantage no matter how many rules you post to try to keep it fair. Complying with excessive rules that make no competetive difference (I have to somehow reduce my motor by 5 horsepower???) really sucks.

shibby

redrockcrawler said:
this is just an idea i have been kicking around let me know how you feel about it

a competition that has some of these rules

same wheel base rigs
same width
same tire size
same H.P. but final drive can be different
also some other modifications to rigs would be the same i am still working on this but it be fare so any body that meets the requirements would have a chance to win not just the big dog money pit teams
that is great in theory but not many people can afford to build a new rig just for a comp, or no one will ever agree on a Hp,wheelbase, ect...

i think that the coarses should be set up with all types of rigs in mind..

Billforceone

A real friend !!!!!!!
I personally agree with Jason about the courses--they were do-able by someone with the experience and ability of someone like Jason, Tracy, John, Mitch, Johnny, etc. These competitors are masters at what they do, and as such were able to get through the weekend a little bit better than the rest of us. We would have liked to see a choice of lines for the Extreem Series and the Stock Mods. That way we would have at least had the choice as to which line to take, instead of given no choice at all. Michelle, for instance is in the Extreem series to gain the experience needed to be able to some day move up to the pros, and she's not the only driver in that series to make that statement. Frankly the coursed this weekend were a little out of our league at this point.

We are hoping that the safety issue is addressed as the most important issue at hand. A good suggestion might be to at least have all the judges trained in basic first aid--so that if an EMT is not readily available they at least have the basic skills to assist an injured person.

We for the most part are just happy to have been able to participate. At the last minute we discovered that we were not going to be able to bring our rig, and were very fortunate to have a great friend in Andy Holm from Six States who allowed us to put his personal vehicle to the test. Thank you so much for your generosity! One thing for certain, you build a really strong cage!!!!

As far as the next event, we'll be there! We are optimistic in the thinking that much will be learned about what not to do in the future. Look for the girls to be ready to go in June--by the way, does anyone know where the next Extreem event will be held? Vernal was mentioned at the drivers meeting, but only in reference to the Pro National Series.

Wild Bill and Michelle Billington

thanks to our sponsors: Alcoa, BFG, Skyjacker, Maaco, Howe Steering, GDS, and Keystone Automotive

SuperRanger

I like your optimism Bill!

I would have liked to see different lines for different classes. This was only done sparingly on a couple courses. I am in the Extreme - modified class and a lot of the courses were to hard for me and my vehicle. The courses were designed for the best drivers in top notch unlimited rigs.

My rig is trashed and I can still smell the paint drying. I will be at the next event also. As soon as I realized that I was going to 40 nearly all the courses, I just stuck the rig in there for the experience. I pushed harder than I have on trail rides and had a great time doing it.

I would like to see some changes but still had fun as soon as I got my nerves together.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
SuperRanger said:
I like your optimism Bill!

I would have liked to see different lines for different classes. This was only done sparingly on a couple courses. I am in the Extreme - modified class and a lot of the courses were to hard for me and my vehicle. The courses were designed for the best drivers in top notch unlimited rigs.

My rig is trashed and I can still smell the paint drying. I will be at the next event also. As soon as I realized that I was going to 40 nearly all the courses, I just stuck the rig in there for the experience. I pushed harder than I have on trail rides and had a great time doing it.

I would like to see some changes but still had fun as soon as I got my nerves together.
Hey, welcome to RME! I was driving the blue boatsided YJ thing with the Maxxis stuff. You guys were awesome. Is your spotter recovering nicely? :eek:

SuperRanger

Thanks! Braden right?

Roger is doing better. Cuts and bruises. My cousin Mark spotted for me the second day because of Roger's injuries. I think I am more upset about Roger getting hurt than he is. I saw the spotter that got his legs pinched in Cedar City last year and it is really important to me that our team is as safe as possible.

I hope to meet more of you guys in the future, I met a lot of people this weekend.

goin4xn

Jeepaholic
grinch said:
Yeah I hope things change. I just checked are score to are score sheet and it was wrong. They added an extra 10 points on to are score somwhere. That put Jake and I in 8th place when we should have been in 7th.
I e-maild them and asked them to fix it on are perment record. Those points count agenst us for the season...
We will see if they do fix it or not....
I hope things change. I love this sport and this put a serious damper on it.

Grinch,
just PM'd you.

While I was not at the event this past weekend (work conflict) I apologize to each and every one of the competitors for this weekend. Mike Baer and I talked today and are working hard at getting a lot of things resolved.

Scott

goin4xn

Jeepaholic
Greg said:
<SNIP>
One thing I'd like to see... Not counting this event's scores into the season's standings. Keep this event as a standalone event. I was unfair to many people & they shouldn't add that unfairness to the rest of the season.

I have more ideas, but I'll save them for my email to Ranch & Mark. ;)

Greg,
Good idea. I'll bring this up. We're having a conference call in the next few weeks to addess this past weekends mess.

I know you're going to send an email to Rancha nd Mark but cc one to me as well. They will be getting so much hate mail I wouldn't be surprised if they do a mass delete and lose some good ideas along with all the flames they're sure to get.

Scott

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
goin4xn said:
Mike Baer and I talked today and are working hard at getting a lot of things resolved.

Scott

Scott,

I think one of the biggest things that would have made it a better event would have been making sure all the courses were drivable by having the course designer drive them in a competition-worthy rig. The first MoabROCKS event was similar as this last UROC event... none of the courses were driven, cones were just placed w/o actually driving the courses. It made the event very nerve-racking for the folks competing.

Like I said before, I'll be emailing Ranch & Mark with this and other suggestions for the next event. I'll be sure to cc you as well! Thanks for listening!

- Greg

goin4xn

Jeepaholic
Greg said:
Scott,

I think one of the biggest things that would have made it a better event would have been making sure all the courses were drivable by having the course designer drive them in a competition-worthy rig. The first MoabROCKS event was similar as this last UROC event... none of the courses were driven, cones were just placed w/o actually driving the courses. It made the event very nerve-racking for the folks competing.

Like I said before, I'll be emailing Ranch & Mark with this and other suggestions for the next event. I'll be sure to cc you as well! Thanks for listening!

- Greg

You have a PM.
Scott

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
SuperRanger said:
Thanks! Braden right?

Roger is doing better. Cuts and bruises. My cousin Mark spotted for me the second day because of Roger's injuries. I think I am more upset about Roger getting hurt than he is. I saw the spotter that got his legs pinched in Cedar City last year and it is really important to me that our team is as safe as possible.

I hope to meet more of you guys in the future, I met a lot of people this weekend.
Yup, good memory, and spelling skills. :D Glad he's recovering, that was not a good situation for Spotters. Anyone know how Aaron Clough's spotter is feeling?

suv

Booty-fab Instructor
I was down there spectating, and let me tell you it was the worst event I've been to also. We just sat and watched A3 and A5 most of the time, cheering people that conquered these nasty ledges. From a spectators point of view, I'd like to see fewer cones, more choices in the line you take (let drivers and spotters figure a way up, don't force them all to take the same line), and overall easier obstacles with a bonus for finishing fast. It's more exciting to see a guy race through a course than sit there and bounce on the same ledge for 10 minutes until time's up. Let's hope Vernal is better.

I'd also like to see some entry-level classes for cheap rigs, too. Possibly limit the equipment you can use like no 4-links, rear-steer, or full-hydro. It has already become a rich man's sport.

Bart

I think this was a learning event for everyone. I personally thought the courses were overdone, yes doable, but too long and too many cones. I had completed 2 courses in 6 hours on Saturday. This wasn't fun as a competitor and can't imagine what spectators were going through. It kept teams out of rythm and the wait was excrusiating. I will also admit, I sucked as a driver and didn't feel confident in the rig. I'll get over that with some more seat time.

I don't think bashing Ranch or the Patey's is going to solve anything. I just think priorities were a bit misplaced in this first event. Like I said on Pirates, I'll give it another chance in Vernal, and hopefully I'll pull my head out along with some others.

These are a few things I'd like to see happen.
Better correspondence before the event, with an itinerary.
The right to a new ID badge (only because I have a new tire sponsor and I'm wearing the old sponsor badges in the pic from last year).
Dump the snatchblock, winch bag, and d ring. I'll gladly donate mine to UROC and I'm sure others would as well, just so we don't have to carry them.
Better courses with approprate times. I don't mind hard courses at all but with the time constraints and 100s of cones, it made it dangerous for all teams and especially the spotters.
I'm really leaning toward a competitor union so we have a voice. I talked to 2 members of the round table and heard that most of the comments and suggestions went by the wayside.

I'm sure there are more, but that covers the main points.

Bart

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Bart said:
I think this was a learning event for everyone. I personally thought the courses were overdone, yes doable, but too long and too many cones. I had completed 2 courses in 6 hours on Saturday. This wasn't fun as a competitor and can't imagine what spectators were going through. It kept teams out of rythm and the wait was excrusiating. I will also admit, I sucked as a driver and didn't feel confident in the rig. I'll get over that with some more seat time.

I don't think bashing Ranch or the Patey's is going to solve anything. I just think priorities were a bit misplaced in this first event. Like I said on Pirates, I'll give it another chance in Vernal, and hopefully I'll pull my head out along with some others.

These are a few things I'd like to see happen.
Better correspondence before the event, with an itinerary.
The right to a new ID badge (only because I have a new tire sponsor and I'm wearing the old sponsor badges in the pic from last year).
Dump the snatchblock, winch bag, and d ring. I'll gladly donate mine to UROC and I'm sure others would as well, just so we don't have to carry them.
Better courses with approprate times. I don't mind hard courses at all but with the time constraints and 100s of cones, it made it dangerous for all teams and especially the spotters.
I'm really leaning toward a competitor union so we have a voice. I talked to 2 members of the round table and heard that most of the comments and suggestions went by the wayside.

I'm sure there are more, but that covers the main points.

Bart
Good thoughts, Bart. I totally agree on the snatch block, D-ring, and winch bag thing. I think I'm the only one that complied with the rule and packed that stuff around the whole event. I want a new photo for my badge, too. We got new uniforms this year and our photos should represent that. I also want them to spell my name right on my name tag from now on. :rolleyes:

Bart

RockMonkey said:
Good thoughts, Bart. I totally agree on the snatch block, D-ring, and winch bag thing. I think I'm the only one that complied with the rule and packed that stuff around the whole event. I want a new photo for my badge, too. We got new uniforms this year and our photos should represent that. I also want them to spell my name right on my name tag from now on. :rolleyes:

Nope, you weren't the only one, I packed that stuff the whole event also. :D

redrockcrawler

earth rover 2012
5DollerShake said:
yeah that's an area i don't think should be regulated.
so if we leave out hp it sounds alright it seem to me that making a few simple rules to keep every one on the same playing field would make the event even more compeditive if every one has same width,wheel base,tires size then it does not limit the team to out build each other it just keeps it a little more even you could still use most modifications that you wish to design.i think this would be a true driver and spotter event not just the who has abetter rig and the most money