USRA Round 4 Firebirds Race

rholbrook

I should have been a spectator. I feel like I got ran over 100 times. The positives for me was to not crash, have fun and don't get hurt. I crashed on loop one but I was nearly stopped because a missed the turn and met a tree, I never got hurt and I had fun. I hit the wall at about mile 45. Then the trail hit the hilly stuff and I was in my element and I made up a ton of positions. I made up at least 15-20 spots on the big hill just by flying up it first shot. I has to dodge a lot of riders. I literally was the last guy to leave the line. I waited for the cloud to dissipate. Saw one guy pretzel his arm. He was crying pretty hard. That looked like it hurt

harrison had fun and that's all that mattered for me. His first lap he went down trying to avoid several riders that crashed on the first hill. He got up and on the first lap did a bunch of passing and was only passed by a KTM65. I will have to go back and see if I can see a number on it. May have been Paul's boy but he flew past Harrison.

One of my friends, an old Hefer lover too, was battling a girl on a KLX140 for the whole race. He was pissed that a girl was beating him.

We need a technical mountain race. That would be my element. The blisters on my left hand are proof I was tired of 65 miles of whoops

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I should have been a spectator. I feel like I got ran over 100 times. The positives for me was to not crash, have fun and don't get hurt. I crashed on loop one but I was nearly stopped because a missed the turn and met a tree, I never got hurt and I had fun. I hit the wall at about mile 45. Then the trail hit the hilly stuff and I was in my element and I made up a ton of positions. I made up at least 15-20 spots on the big hill just by flying up it first shot. I has to dodge a lot of riders. I literally was the last guy to leave the line. I waited for the cloud to dissipate. Saw one guy pretzel his arm. He was crying pretty hard. That looked like it hurt

harrison had fun and that's all that mattered for me. His first lap he went down trying to avoid several riders that crashed on the first hill. He got up and on the first lap did a bunch of passing and was only passed by a KTM65. I will have to go back and see if I can see a number on it. May have been Paul's boy but he flew past Harrison.

One of my friends, an old Hefer lover too, was battling a girl on a KLX140 for the whole race. He was pissed that a girl was beating him.

We need a technical mountain race. That would be my element. The blisters on my left hand are proof I was tired of 65 miles of whoops

Glad to hear everyone had fun. That race beat the crap out of me and I just could not get into a flow. I had a good start and was running just to the side of TJ right before the banner when one of the newer racers to the expert class came flying across the front of me & Josh Knight just about taking us out right before the banner. I came in off the first loop in around 9th overall. about half way through the second loop, my shoulder that I dislocated last year really started to tighten up on my and I had to back off my pace and lost a couple of positions. I would have liked to of been in the top 10 but I will take my 11th and be happy.

I think Jack was the only one riding a KTM 65, so it was probably him.

Next race up is the Sage Riders National......I won't be racing it since it is our clubs race. I hope you guys can make it out......I think I have layed out a fun loop 2. It is similar in terrain to what we ran on loop 1 at Firebirds with more trees and less whoops.

rholbrook

Glad to hear everyone had fun. That race beat the crap out of me and I just could not get into a flow. I had a good start and was running just to the side of TJ right before the banner when one of the newer racers to the expert class came flying across the front of me & Josh Knight just about taking us out right before the banner. I came in off the first loop in around 9th overall. about half way through the second loop, my shoulder that I dislocated last year really started to tighten up on my and I had to back off my pace and lost a couple of positions. I would have liked to of been in the top 10 but I will take my 11th and be happy.

I think Jack was the only one riding a KTM 65, so it was probably him.

Next race up is the Sage Riders National......I won't be racing it since it is our clubs race. I hope you guys can make it out......I think I have layed out a fun loop 2. It is similar in terrain to what we ran on loop 1 at Firebirds with more trees and less whoops.
Bummer on the shoulder. I was cramping with 10 miles to go. Its hard to ride whoops when you cant stand.

If its 100 miles of whoops, I am out. This fat old man hates 65 miles of whoops let alone 100 miles of whoops. We need a mountain race....say Beaver Creek area between Logan and Bear Lake. I will look at Harrisons loop one again and see if I can find a number on the 65. I have yet to watch loop 2.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Russ it was closer to 72 miles.
35 miles first loop and 37 second loop.
And about 4 miles of getting lost with about 35 other people on loop 2....

I really enjoyed the terrain, but I got worked too. I'm surprisingly less sore than last race, but I did crash twice pretty good.
Once while in the woods standing my leg locked up, and I went to sit for a turn and just blew the corner and then once a guy crashed to the left and I got jousted off my bike by a tree limb to the shoulder while trying to avoid him.

That Rock Crawler hill was awesome. I probably passed 10 people stuck on it.

The thing that slowed me down was a flat front tire that I probably got about 10 miles from the end.

Not my best race so far but it was the longest and hardest one of the season yet.

Did anyone else get whacked with about 5 million tree branches?
(If you look at the later photos both Tyson and my GoPro's were all out of shape from getting smacked my branches).

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Where does on go to get numbers assigned, and stickers made.. just in case..

http://usraracing.weebly.com/ to find out about racing

Jeff @ 1st Choice Graphix for steekerz

3227893_orig.jpg

http://usraracing.weebly.com/uploads/7/8/8/3/7883188/2014sageriders.pdf
http://www.moto-tally.com/nhha/preentry.aspx

Next race is 2- 50 mile loops: 100 miles!? What the heck Paul!? ;)

Last edited:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Where does on go to get numbers assigned, and stickers made.. just in case..

www.usraracing.org has the application you can fill out for membership. If the # you want is already in use, you will have to pick a new one. You can get graphics from a number of places
I have used them all in the past and they all have their strengths and weaknesses as far a graphic and material quality. For the past 2 years I have been using Triple Effect only for the fact that the Edge gives us our graphic kits. The quality has been great and durability probably better than any I have ever had.

djgardner

This was without a doubt the toughest firebirds race I've ever done...fortunately it was short...Though I was expecting it to be closer to 60 miles...and I guess it was about/over 70...which was a problem because I didn't get gas at the pit (70ish miles is about the range on my bike), and I was SO low on gas. In fact on that one nasty uphill-with the ledges in it, where everyone got stuck-my bike actually sputter out of gas (the petcock is at the front of the tank, and the gas was at the back of the tank on that hill) and stalled on that hill...it happened again on another hill as well...BUT, I milked it in to the finish.

I got a great start on the AM wave...I'll post up a youtube vid of my start later today, probably...and was 3rd through the banners. I rode really good the entire first loop, and my pit crew said I was 5th overall AM into the pits (my mental count had me further back than that...but it doesn't take into consideration lost riders-and I hear there were a few of those-and DNF's...thankfully moto-tally will solve the riddle)...I headed out onto the 2nd loop feeling great and still riding hard, only to crash about 5 miles into the 2nd loop and break off my front break lever...major downer there. So I just cruised the entire 2nd loop and enjoyed the scenery and some REALLY fun single track (time on the dirt bike without a front brake is better than time spent sitting in the pits waiting for my buddies to finish the race).

Besides that one crash, I had no 'Moments" during the race...but boy am I sore today (I hadn't ridden since the Rhino Rally...and I can feel it)...my back and legs absolutely hate me today.

djgardner

Here is a short vid of my start...I'm hesitant to post this because I don't want to give up my secret starting spot at these races...but I think I can trust you folks. :)

[video=youtube_share;ylOfiOgE_oA]http://youtu.be/ylOfiOgE_oA[/video]

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Expert Start.

[video=youtube;DkAJzSbBrKM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkAJzSbBrKM[/video]

I can see my bright gear right in this screen capture for your video on you tube. From the outside looking in, it always seems more intense than when you are actually running. Maybe because you get a better perspective of how much chaos there is.