Utah bill of sale - seller responsibility?

rholbrook

Can they track it if it was a private sale?
That's a good question and as I think about it, I don't know that they could. Private seller is not mandated to take sales tax or get an exemption form signed. You could always get a DL in MT and help out their replacement of the democratic seat they think is on the line there. Ha, we just turned this into a political thread. Montana here is the west and Maine is where they do it in the east. We sell trailers all over the country and our top of the line trailer is iNTECH, most of those are registered to LLCs because they begin around $50K and often go well over $100K. The highest priced one I have seen was just shy of $250K. Surprising how many of these we sell but and it seems like if it is going east of the Mississippi, they are licensed in Maine and if its west of the Mississippi it is Montana. We just three two to AZ, both licensed in Kalispel, MT. Two were 2 car stackers, the other was a 4 car stacker. All three of them buddies and all three of them fill them up with sand buggies and spend a lot of time in Klamath. One of them already has three other iNTECH trailers.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I sold a car and collected $10,000 from the buyer. $1000 was for the car, the other $9,000 was a finders fee. Pound sand tax man!!!

The State Tax Commission is hitting dealers hard right now. Any trailer we sale we have to basically prove that it when out of state, especially if it was to an LLC in Montana. We have to get all documents related to an out of state sale, including copy of the drivers license of the person picking it up, copy of the form of payment proving that it is an out of state check and then we have to provide that the Tax Commission. I asked the officer assigned to us if they were going after these guys and he told me yes and not to relay that message on. He said they have one guy that gets a new Porsche about every few months and they will be going after him for around $6M in taxes and penalties. If it is going to spend its days on Utah roads, they need to pay Utah taxes on it. Exact words from him and they have hired a staff to do all the tracking on these people. A friend told me to tell you that if you register in Montana, do not buy the vehicle or trailer in the great State of Utah. We had to go pull the records of sales for about 50 deals in 2022 about 2 months ago. I personally believe that they are going back to all the sales tax exempt forms that the buyer has to fill sign and looking for LLCs. About 1/3 of our sales are out of state. Buy it in Idaho or somewhere else where that paperwork never comes in to Utah. Just passing that along. The LLC attorney's in MT do tell you what to say when you get pulled over but will they bail you out of the taxes, fees and penalties you will be charged when they finally catch up to you?
I can't imagine this is legal or that they can do much. If they are, they need to go after Walmart like Hickey said and EVERY SINGLE SEMI TRAILER IN UTAH that is registered in ID. I'd pay a lot of money to an attorney and so will the guy with a new Porsche every month. Utah government should get a clue when it cost less to register a trailer, vehicle or motorcycle in Montana for ever than for a single year in Utah. Idaho figured out the simple, conservative tax equation about trailers. They did a 10 year registration and increased the amount of taxes collected on trailer registration.

Coco

My friend had something similar show up in their mailbox when they sold their car.

I fully believe it is a way for them to try to squeeze more out/audit the buyer. My friend wrote them back and said the buyer traded what they valued as a dollar amount of labor in trade for the vehicle. The state sent them another letter, at which point they shredded it and threw it away. They didn't get anything after that.

Come to think about it, I wonder if this is how I personally got audited on a truck years back.... I figured it was the loan amount or they contacted the bank for the loan amount. Oh well, it was a lessen learned.

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
Curiosity being what it is, I decided to run a title check on the VIN in question. You know, just for fun.

It looks like the OP registered the truck on 8/10/2021 and renewed the registration the following July. After that, a purchase was reported on 9/11/2023 and a new title (and presumably also a new registration) was issued to a Koosharem address on 9/21/2023. This must have been our friend Emil.

Here's where it gets fun (IMO): just a few months later on 2/8/2024 another new purchase was reported. This new owner also registered the truck in Koosharem. This person seems to be using the truck, because they took it in to LHM Dodge for an oil change and tire rotation on 8/1/2024 (at 182,220 miles).

Did Emil do something shady here?

Just got a VM from the tax man, and he basically confirmed that I sold it, then it was sold again without being registered in between. They then asked me to fill the bill of sale out (again).

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Just got a VM from the tax man, and he basically confirmed that I sold it, then it was sold again without being registered in between. They then asked me to fill the bill of sale out (again).
I fail to see how that is your responsibility. You sold it to person A, that's as far as your concern goes. If the State wants to go after person A and person B, thats not your concern.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Yea that’s pretty much how I see it. He confirmed that I did Nothing wrong when I sold the vehicle, and mentioned that it would be “helpful to them” (DMV/Tax office) for me to fill out the bill of sale…..which I interpreted as not something I need to do.
Tell them you don't want to accrue any negative karma X-D

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I guess I'm the only one here that was happy to see the headline last week that said the IRS had recovered 6 billion from high earners that had under paid their taxes.