Utah Fender Flare/Wheel Coverage Question

vic_sinclair

Hi, I am both new to Utah and new to Jeeps/off-roading. I recently bought a used LJ that the previous owner had modified and now the tires protrude approx. 3 inches beyond the stock fender flares. I understand Utah law requires the tires to be covered. My questions are, is this something they check for during the safety inspection? Do patrol cops pull people over for that?
Thanks.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Welcome to the sight,

Yes, and yes, if you do some searching around on here, you will find that this has been a very popular topic of discussion. I also know that in some of the threads there are links to the actual state safety inspection manual so you can read all the requirements.

Good luck.

Toad

Utah law says that the flairs must cover the full width of the tire tread and mud flaps to the centerline of the axle. If you have any questions about S.I. rules go the the UHP website and follow the links. You can download a safety manual

vic_sinclair

Thanks, Chevycrew. I searched the forums and discovered you are the expert on this subject. You should put "Esquire" after your name and represent people in traffic court.

tj1230

Other states are much more lenient on this topic. This state however is not one of them. Sometimes to the point of overkill. They are also sticklers on not covered KC's and exhuasts.
Good Luck with your LJ and good luck gettin it SI'd. My advice, find you a good off-road shop with SI capability. They are your best bet for lifted vehicles with bigger tires.