Utah lift laws

crazyivan

I'm collecting parts for my SAS. I would like to run 35's with Allpro 4in fronts and 5.5in rears (to cure the sag), but I would be a couple of inches over legal (I think). I've been told that Highway Patrol and local cops will ticket you for mudflaps. How agressive are they regarding lift laws? Has anyone been ticketed?

moabjeeper

Man Down!!!!
Yeah I got pulled over for being lifted to high (6in. 33s on a cherokee) but that was before the new lift law. It was only a $30 fix it ticket. While I was pulled over he came up to me and said that my mud flaps are two inches to short. I couldnt believe it. I hate the cops around here.

The law reads: "(mudflaps must...) have a ground clearance of not more than 50% of the diameter of a rear-axle wheel, under any conditions of loading of the motor vehicle."

so if you have 33"s, the flaps can't be more than 16.5" off the road.

:D

crazyivan

Thanks for the input.
I still have a while to kick around tire sizes. I drive it every day from Springville to Orem, so I don't want to build something that's going to get me hassled every day.:(

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
do a search. I posted numbers under the same topic. Mud flaps have to be as wide as your tire and go to the center of the axle to be legal. You should be fine now. I am legal and have 5inch rear all-pro's. The new laws help alot.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
lift height is:
GVW <4500 lbs 24" frame to ground
4500<GVW<6500 lbs, 26" frame to ground
GVW>6500, 28"

Mud flaps have to cover half of tire. Tire cannot extend past the body, unless you have flares.

I am badly in violation of the mudflap law, but have yet to get a ticket.

Cody

TheBigSgt

Rep Big Horn 4x4
Well, I believe the law for a runner would be 24 inches from the bottom of the frame to the ground. Lowest point of the frame, not including cross members. Mud flaps mus come down to at least 50% of the tire. You can eye ball that one. also do unloaded just to make sure.