Utah Senate Bill 51, and what it really says about Vintage Vehicles

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Alight, I've got a good friend and freind of the 4x4 and collector car world that I implored to dig in on this. He's quite plugged in an was able to get audience with some of the powers to be including the bills sponsor Wayne Harper. The pleas were heard and they were able to meet today and come up with a new proposal as follows.

1980 & older qualifies for the exemption. A rolling 30 year and older qualify for the future (still a tad fuzzy on the 80 & older, waiting for clarification)
You qualify by providing proof of auto policy insurance that lists it as a "classic" or "collector". I'm in contact with my insurance provider to determine what that looks like. Their thought is the insurance, that will limit abusers as those policies may come with mileage restrictions and/or are more expensive than traditional insurance, particularly liability only policies.

Auto Owners for Example:

Does your current insurance provider have what may be needed? Post a link to the details if you can.

Thoughts?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I registered my last truck as a vintage. My insurance (Bear River) did not have anything special for classic vehicles.. but my agent did find a company that based my insurance rate on the age and mileage use I predicted. I told them less than 1,000 miles a year, and I think my charge was stupid low like $200 for the year? I'll see what I can find.. but I usually delete emails that are no longer relevant

EDIT: It was Safeco insurance. But I don't have the cost available.

Last edited:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I'm confused. 1980 is 42 years ago not 30. In the past it was just 30 years to qualify for the vintage plate, co-worker that has a 1989 Jeep registered his as vintage because he just drives it in Moab a couple times a year and occasionaly in town, I would be suprised if he puts 500 miles a year on it. He registered it as vintage mainly to avoid having to mess with emissions.

I'm still of the opinion that emissions are stupid.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
On reflection, posting a photo will work better than a pdf.

I have the Grand Prix (Vintage Vehicle) and my Shelby (std registration) insured with American Collectors Insurance. My primary reason for choosing them was the ability to have stated value policies for both cars. Here is the top of the page for the Grand Prix. It is clearly designated as a Collector Vehicle Policy at the top, and on the right is also shows I am on a 5k annual mileage plan (which was their lowest tier IIRC).

20220128_085655.jpg

Is this helpful?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
On reflection, posting a photo will work better than a pdf.

I have the Grand Prix (Vintage Vehicle) and my Shelby (std registration) insured with American Collectors Insurance. My primary reason for choosing them was the ability to have stated value policies for both cars. Here is the top of the page for the Grand Prix. It is clearly designated as a Collector Vehicle Policy at the top, and on the right is also shows I am on a 5k annual mileage plan (which was their lowest tier IIRC).
View attachment 145538

Is this helpful?

Is that per 6 months?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Is that per 6 months?

No, it is annual. For the Grand Prix and Shelby combined (both cars were initially covered for $20,000 stated, but that value automatically increases by ~5% or so each year to account for inflation) my annual bill is $501.09. This includes $300k for uninsured motorist, $300k for underinsured motorist, $300k for my liability, $1000 for electronic equipment, coverage for personal effects, towing, travel loss, glass, and more. All in all, I think it's a pretty good deal.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
No, it is annual. For the Grand Prix and Shelby combined (both cars were initially covered for $20,000 stated, but that value automatically increases by ~5% or so each year to account for inflation) my annual bill is $501.09. This includes $300k for uninsured motorist, $300k for underinsured motorist, $300k for my liability, $1000 for electronic equipment, coverage for personal effects, towing, travel loss, glass, and more. All in all, I think it's a pretty good deal.

I'm going to check into that for my two "classic" vehicles. Similar amount of driving that you do I'd assume.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
So is there "collector" qualification all that is required or is the age, plus collector required? I'm thinking I could add my LJ as it see's less than 5K a year and is a very limited run. Saving money on insurance and registration in one stop seems too good to be true.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Alright, updated with my peeps :cool:

1980 & older qualifies for the vintage tags and emissions exemption, no proof of different insurance, etc. A rolling 30 year and older qualify for vintage tags IF they use classic insurance. So 1981 - 1992 would have to have vintage insurance to qualify.

I'm content with this...

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I took a look at the legislatures status of this bill. It is currently with the House Transportation committee (has been there since 21 Jan). There was a fiscal note passed to the Senate Transportation committee on the bill on 24 Jan, but there seems to be no movement currently.

Hopefully that means there is still time to call or email to give them your thoughts. A second email reminder might be appropriate if you did not receive a response to the first.Capture.JPG

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Some more news about this...

an excerpt from that article:
As for the vintage license plate component, the bill is in coordination with SB51, a bill sponsored by Sen. Wayne Harper, R-Taylorsville, to catch "the cheaters" in emission testing. Only approved collectors' cars or any vehicle driven less than 1,500 miles a year would be allowed to be exempt from emissions testing. Harper is listed as the Senate sponsor of HB368.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Some more news about this...

an excerpt from that article:
As for the vintage license plate component, the bill is in coordination with SB51, a bill sponsored by Sen. Wayne Harper, R-Taylorsville, to catch "the cheaters" in emission testing. Only approved collectors' cars or any vehicle driven less than 1,500 miles a year would be allowed to be exempt from emissions testing. Harper is listed as the Senate sponsor of HB368.

This caught my eye, so I just re-read through the entire bill. I still see no specific mileage allowance for Vintage Vehicles anywhere in it; just the requirement for collector insurance (for cars newer than 1980 model year).