Utah Trail Patrol - Join Now!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
All
Their will be a Utah Off-Highway Vehicle Trail Patrol Board meeting on Jan 12 at 6:00 P.M. at the DNR building 1594 West North temple Salt Lake City. We would like to invite anyone who has an interest in representing their club on the board of directors to come. We also invite any club that would like to join the Utah Off-Highway Vehicle Trail Patrol to send someone to represent their group.

THANKS
Dale Bartholomew
EX. Director Utah Off-Highway Vehicle Trail Patrol

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Kurt, what's all involved in the Trail Patrol? What if I'm a "Trail Patrol" guy? What do I do, when do I do it, what kind of commitment, etc. is involved?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
mbryson said:
Kurt, what's all involved in the Trail Patrol? What if I'm a "Trail Patrol" guy? What do I do, when do I do it, what kind of commitment, etc. is involved?

This meeting is more of an "administrative" meeting regarding the Trail Patrol... but they do host regular "training" sessions. I will get Todd Adams (the Trail Patrol guru) to post a bit about Trail Patrol...

Stay tuned...

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
Following is copied out of our handbook to give a general idea of what we are about. The State of Utah is, for the time being, underwriting this effort but we hope to be self-sufficient once it gets going. There are already more than 300 members state wide but this is only a drop in the bucket to what we need. This is a chance to work with our land managers and have work or patrol duties documented.

We are at a point now that if we don’t all get involved we won’t have any place to recreate. The directive from Washington to the FS and BLM is to work with user groups to manage recreation. If there is no involvement from us the managers have been instructed to close areas that are being abused.

There are just insufficient funds for the agencies to enforce rules and that is why they have been instructed to use user groups to help with this enforcement. Don’t get me wrong, the Utah Trail Patrol is just the eyes and ears of the land managers. We have no jurisdiction in enforcing the rules. Peer pressure is our means to control the abusers by setting example and education not by issuing tickets.

In a nutshell a charter group consists of 10 or more individuals that act as a trail patrol and work with land managers to patrol or do service projects. The time you serve as a volunteer is documented and if you inure any expenses they can be written off on your taxes.

The commitment is this: a minimum of 10 hours a year of volunteer work and always set an example to others by staying on an approved trail. Know before you go to know that you are on an approved trail.

To become a Utah Trail Patrol member it will be necessary for you to receive training in the form of a training class. This class has been shortened to about an hour. You will receive a handbook as well as a shirt to identify yourself to others as a Trail Patrol Member which is worn while doing volunteer work or while on patrol.

Todd

Your interest in the OHV Trail Patrol is greatly appreciated. If you are looking for an organization that is taking responsibility for our public and private OHV recreation areas, you have come to the right group. Please take the time to read through this manual, and then read it again later for a review. It is our hope you will support our mission statement and join with us to achieve our goal of promoting OHV Safety, Service, and Education!

The Off-Highway Vehicle Trail Patrol is a volunteer organization for people who are concerned about maintaining our natural resources and recreational access for future generations.

You are the key to a pleasant recreation experience; your concern for other recreation users and the areas we share is the difference between reduced animosity between users, continued access, and area closures. A few individuals and agencies have made attempts to educate the public and provide trailside assistance, usually resulting in frustration or burnout. By relying on the assistance of Patrol members, the responsibilities can be shared between agency representatives and individual Patrol members to increase awareness and improve the quality of experience for everyone.

Our efforts to enhance the safety of OHVers and the other land users are critical to our success. We actively seek opportunities to assist host agencies and landowners to improve our recreation opportunities while maintaining our recreation areas. As OHV Patrol members, we assume responsibility for our conduct and attempt to positively influence the actions of our fellow OHV users. In the long term, the OHV Trail Patrol’s role will be perceived by outdoor recreationalests as being a critical element of support to motorized recreational opportunities.

The goal of the OHV Trail Patrol is

Safety – Service - Education
Organizational Overview

Mission
The mission of the Utah Off-Highway Vehicle Trail Patrol Is:

1 Set an example, support and assist all land users and managers; Promote and facilitate education, responsible, safe and enjoyable use of off-highway vehicles (OHV)

Our mission is embodied in the following three goals; Safety, Service, and Education.
We will provide assistance to land users, enhance their recreation experience and provide critical support during a crisis. The OHV Trail Patrol will help conserve environmental resources, encourage ethical recreational behavior, and manage impacts. Through education the OHV trail Patrol will make an impact on recreational opportunities for future generations. Together with land managers and landowners, we will develop, maintain, and rehabilitate recreation areas for sustained use. Our role in achieving the mission is critical; our participation and the example we set as individual Trail Patrol Members will help inspire our fellow OHV user’s to recreate responsibly.

Values

We hold the following values to be vital to OHV recreation:
o Recreational use of OHV’s is a legitimate use of public lands
o Every operator of an OHV has the obligation to participate safely and responsibly.
o We obey the laws governing the use of OHV’s
o We respect the rights and privileges of others.
o We apply the principles of Tread Lightly.
o Voluntary service is necessary to ensure the future of OHV use.
o Safe and responsible use f OHV’s promotes good citizenship, physical fitness, and family values.
o OHV’s provide a recreational opportunity that enables people of all ages and abilities to enjoy the great outdoors and to partake of the physical, mental, emotional, and spritual values found there.
o We believe in sharing knowledge and information with others.
o We believe in having fun

Duties

The Utah Off-Highway Vehicle Trail Patrol is an organization formed to serve as goodwill ambassadors to all public land users with whom we come in contact. Duties of Trail Patrol members include the following
o Provide information and education to users.
o Work with and educate other groups interested in environmental conservation.
o Provide assistance to users, i.e. call for emergency help, troubleshoot mechanical problems, provide emergency assistance, water, etc.

o Identify, document, and report areas/facilities damaged by vandalism, negligence, or weather.
o Report any environmental problems to the responsible agency or landowner.
o Assist in rehabilitation work.
o Install and maintain signs and perform light trail maintenance work in cooperation with land managers.
o Help maintain other facilities, such as cattle guards, fences, gates, restrooms, etc, in cooperation with landowners and managers.
o Document all work done.
o Participate in search and rescue only when requested.
o Develop and maintain positive relations with other recreationists and promote good ethics.
o Establish and maintain a positive working relationship with public agencies (BLM, USFS, NPS, State Parks, etc) and educate others regarding the laws they uphold.
o Promote programs such as; Adopt-A-Trail, Adopt-A-River way, Adopt-A-Highway, Know Before You Go, and Pack it In Pack it Out.
o Participate in private and public planning for OHV use and annual recreation funding plans (Local, County, State, USFS, and BLM).
o Organize and/or coordinate activities with other Trail Patrols.
o Conserve natural resources for the enjoyment of future generations.
o Offer other appropriate assistance to recreation users to enhance the image of OHV users as good citizens.

Trail Patrol members must be familiar with educational and informational resources available to the public. Maps are usually available through the local land agency office, and specialized maps are available through various map stores and Internet sites. Knowledge of other programs such as volunteer programs, management programs, recreation fee demonstration programs, will enable Trail Patrol members to accurately educate the public.
Knowledge of resources available to the public in form of clubs, associations, and interest groups is critical to completely support all OHV users. Call Utah State Parks and recreation’s Know Before You Go center at 1-800-648-7433 for:
o “Know Before You Go” OHV training for Off-Highway Motorcycles, ATV’s and Snowmobiles.( mandatory for youth ages 8 through 15 and those who have never had a drivers license).
o A list of OHV related groups.
o Summer and winter OHV riding area information.
o Winter trail grooming information.
o Utah avalanche conditions
o Check for this information on the web at; parks.state.ut.us

I will post up when the next training session will be. You can contact me at (801) 631-7993 if I don't pick up leave me a voice mail. If you have a group of 10 or more we will come out to your meetining and do the training for you all you have to do is let us know.
Todd

Last edited:

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
There will be a Utah Trail Patrol trainig Meeting Thursday April 21 at 6:30 P.M. at the residence of Frank & Kristi Keirce 2892 West 10460 South South Jordan. Frank's # is 254-3345 if you need directions ( if you recive this you have the internet go to map-it and get a map). We still have some projects with land managers, come help build some good relations with land managers I goes a long way in keeping our trails open and in geting new ones open.
THANKS FRANK & KRISTI FOR HAVING US.
Thank All for being involved,

Capt. Picky

quite
thanks for the info

Greetings Todd,

I was unaware of such an organization. Did a little searching about and seems to indicate that this was started around 2001. Am I correct in that?
Have any noticeable or documented results been obtained by this particular entity?
Does this organization function under the 'wings' of the DNR or is it some other entity?

Are these links below pertinent to the organization, and is there a Webpage which links to it directly?
http://www.4x4wire.com/access/education/ut/trail_pat/trail_patrol.htm
http://www.stateparks.utah.gov/ohv/default.htm
http://parks.state.ut.us/ohv/laws.htm
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html (.Pdf Document File)

I apologize for having to ask so many questions. :rolleyes:

This seems to be an interesting option; one which might have some effect on the (eventual inevitable) outcome, or at least as far as the time span is concerned.

Thanks Todd for all of your tireless (hehe) and noble efforts. ;)

Bob

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Todd can comment more on the funding issues... but I can tell you that it has been very sucsessful in some areas. I joing along with the Trail Patrol to help patrol American Fork Canyon on one of their busy holiday weekends last year. We talked to dozens of OHV users... handed out tons of maps and info. We act as the eyes and the ears... A full force Trail Patrol during the EJS would do amazing amounts for the area IMHO. There are just so many people down there recreating that have no clue as to the "fragility" if the OHV scene. How would it be to hand them a legal route map, Tread Lightly info, local club contact information, Usa-All info, etc... all while out enjoying the scenery along side them.

Capt. Picky

quite
Hi.
While funding is always an item of some concern, my interest is more geared towards effectiveness. I suppose the emphasis lies in the direction of trying to educate the less knowledgeable and trying to alert the participant about the precarious position we are presently in.

I'm supposing that this is a general pre-emptive effort, is that correct?

My thanks to you for the info Cruiseroutfit.

Regards.
Capt. Picky

great scott

Thats going to be a hard time for us to attend, but the Castle Country King Crawlers have been playing with the idea of jumping in or at least learning more about it. Will this meeting inform us, or is it mostly to sign up?

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
great scott said:
Thats going to be a hard time for us to attend, but the Castle Country King Crawlers have been playing with the idea of jumping in or at least learning more about it. Will this meeting inform us, or is it mostly to sign up?

This is the training. Scott how many do you have that would be part of this?
Todd

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Todd - Moab Friends-For-Wheelin' is VERY interested in joining the Patrol. We have more than 10 people in the club who would do it (maybe Capt. Pickey and jmaxj would also be interested???) if we could set up a training session in Moab. Email me or give me a call sometime (259-6119) with some info. Lets do it!!!!

Thanks - Jeff

roktaxi

Locked Up = More Freedom
Hey Todd!

Of all places that could use that type of "patrolling", Moab should definately be on the list for volunteers. I remember your post from several months ago but it didn't seem to have received a lot of attention. Hope something could be initiated here.

Marty Avalos

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I wouldn't mind 'officially' joining something like this, but I would say that for the most part, and most particularly in Moab, I am always on trail patrol.

I'm more than willing to be the random asshole that gets in your face when you do something you shouldn't be doing.....

Cody

Capt. Picky

quite
Yeh... like Cody, I've *zero* problem laying the facts on the line and getting in your face when I see cr@p happening (first with polite AAMOF method; then with some serious action if that doesn't get the desired results) ...been that way for me from *day one*. That's some 14~15 years of dealing with boneheaded behavior I've witnessed and not let pass w/o my attending to it.

That's the problem for me down here in Moab; when I'm out in the hills (with or without RR4W) I'm on patrol from the time I hit the trail, 'til the time I hit pavement. I don't like it; I don't surely don't desire it; it wasn't the reason I became interested in this activity, but I'm not going to stand for some a$$hat(s) "fouling the water I drink".

Meanwhile, my post of earlier with some questions - mostly of an academic nature, remain unanswered. (I have a "need to know" mentality.)

Jeff, Marty, and Todd... you know where to reach me.

Capt. Picky