v8 samurai build

Rivertonwheeler

so i got this not too long ago and i have rolled it, jumped it, sunk it and generally beat the living crap out of it. the weak 1.3 finally gave up so i picked up a ford 400 with a t18 and np435, drivelines, a ford 9'' and a hp dana 44.

we are in the process of taking pretty much everything stock off of it.

the plan so far is to strip it to the frame, plate the entire frame to beef it up and give me a solid place to mount everything. setup a onelink for the rear with coils, hinge the ford radius arms for the front and cram the v8 in. i'll figure out the rest as we get a little further along.

i am completely open to constructive criticism, ideas, etc. this is my first real build so i welcome any input you guys may have that could make this go easier or come out better.

well here are some pics
when i brought it home

first trip out to mini moab

after a $20 paint job and the smallest set of swampers i have ever seen

these are some of the holes in the 1.3l stock motor

and this is where we are at now

tucked the dana 44 under it to get a better idea of the stance and it got me even more excited

this is the powerplant that is going in

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
That's a lot of weight in the front of a samurai. What is your targeted wheelbase? Are you going to extend the front frame rails to mount a steering box out there or are you going full hydro steering?

idahoyj

Are their 3 different vehicles here? They are all painted different colors.
It's crazy how having a little fun in a stock samurai turned into this monster truck project.
This will definitely be a learning experience.
Subscribed.

Rivertonwheeler

That's a lot of weight in the front of a samurai. What is your targeted wheelbase? Are you going to extend the front frame rails to mount a steering box out there or are you going full hydro steering?

i am planning on a wheelbase somewhere around 100''-105''. i plan on extend ting the front so i have some where to put a radiator and the steering box. leaning towards hydro assist right now.

Rivertonwheeler

Are their 3 different vehicles here? They are all painted different colors.
It's crazy how having a little fun in a stock samurai turned into this monster truck project.
This will definitely be a learning experience.
Subscribed.

lmao, same samurai i just figured that i can paint the whole thing for $20 so why stay one color. I learned a lot helping my brother build his ridiculously big mazda b4000 but that was just swapping in full width axles, steering and lift. it was still a lot of fabrication and welding but no where near the scope of this build.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
sounds like a lot of fun!

4 questions:
What year f-150 is the drivetrain from?
If it's not a 76 or 77 you'll be stuck with the cast radius arm wedges. Which isn't too bad if you're planning on using radius arms.
If I had to guess it looks like a 78 front axle.

Which trans will you use?

What Tcase will you use?

What is the proposed tire size?

Rivertonwheeler

sounds like a lot of fun!

4 questions:
What year f-150 is the drivetrain from?
If it's not a 76 or 77 you'll be stuck with the cast radius arm wedges. Which isn't too bad if you're planning on using radius arms.
If I had to guess it looks like a 78 front axle.

Which trans will you use?

What Tcase will you use?

What is the proposed tire size?

everything came out of a 78 bronco, for trans and tcase i believe it is a t18 and np435 but i could be wrong. and yeah i am planning on using the radius arms but hinging one of them. and as far as tires some where around 35'' or 37''.