Wall Street Journal article referencing BFE

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
"Roxanne Quimby, former CEO of cosmetics and candle company Burt's Bees, has spent just under $40 million since 2000 buying some 70,000 acres of forest land. She has shut down dozens of miles of ATV and snowmobile trails. For riders that ignore the new mandates, Ms. Quimby has erected gates, destroyed bridges and culverts that patch together trails, and laid boulders across access roads. "It's bad news for them when I buy a piece of property," says Ms. Quimby."
Holy ****, you gotta be kidding me. This lady blatently breaks the law, destroying existing roads and features... and no one even catches it... wtf... U4WDA should look into if any of this land is in Utah and if so, I can round up and attorney to sue the bejeezus out of her.

I've never heard of the gal, so I'm very doubtful she has done anything in our state... Its highly likely that we would have heard of her. A couple tried a similar approach (happens to be BFEs next door neighbor in Moab). The case ended up in court and thanks to RR4W and Usa-All's attorney, the trail (Strike Ravine) was court ordered to stay open as it was a cut and dry ROW. Lower Helldorado didn't fair as well as its history was debated.

There is another case of sorts up in Logan, once again the landowner is in court and the access is still open.

Too be honest I can't think of a case where this has happened in Utah in such a blatent RS2477 case.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
wouldn't she be allowed to do that if it's her land?

Yes and no... its all relative to the case of each trail she shut. Were they RS2477 candidates, were they claimed by the counties, were the built prior to 1976, have then been in continuous "legal" use for over 10 years (thats specific to Utah). Were they closed in the name of "emergency protection".

There are alot of variable one would have to wade through to determine her rights versus the rights of land users. If the trails exist solely on here land, and she bough the land out right, were created by previous owners, etc then its possible she can close it. Case by case...

absolute

Don't mean to beat a dead horse but has any body google'd this Roxanne Quimby? I guess she's against off roaders, but likes to sell her land to developers and loggers... Oh and she is one nasty looking broad.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Don't mean to beat a dead horse but has any body google'd this Roxanne Quimby? I guess she's against off roaders, but likes to sell her land to developers and loggers... Oh and she is one nasty looking broad.

Her husband is probably Alice Quimby! ;)

It's funny that she would go to all of those lengths to protect the land, and then sell it off to be literally destroyed....

1993yj

I've never heard of the gal, so I'm very doubtful she has done anything in our state... Its highly likely that we would have heard of her. A couple tried a similar approach (happens to be BFEs next door neighbor in Moab). The case ended up in court and thanks to RR4W and Usa-All's attorney, the trail (Strike Ravine) was court ordered to stay open as it was a cut and dry ROW. Lower Helldorado didn't fair as well as its history was debated.

That was too bad about lower. As far as I know it was only the very begining of that trail that was even on their land.