want to put 35's on tj

smithmonsters

I just bought a 2000 tj. I am going to lift it and want to know who makes a good lift. ( had a 98 yota w/trail master and it sucked)I plan to mostly city drive but will go wheeling and i drive to st george sometimes. I want to put 35 x terrans or something close to them.(BFG's muds or goodyears mtr) Should i go 4 in lift and some body lift or spend the money and get a 5.5 or something. Dont want to spend more than 1000 or 1500 bucks. If anyone knows if X-terrans are any good ,noisy, or wear good. What do you think?

Thanks

WJL

If you are staying with 35s the RE 4.5" is good there long arm is even better. Will burn up that 1000 to 1500 bucks real quick. Others are out there do a little checking.
You dont mention anything about gears, SYE, breaks, driveshafts, spare with bigger/stronger carrier or other upgrades that go along with installing 35s on a TJ.
You mention it sees alot of highway/DD, could I recomend the BFG AT if your spending most of the time on the road 70% or more.
Are you going to be doing the work or is a local shop?

JeeperG

WJL said:
If you are staying with 35s the RE 4.5" is good there long arm is even better. Will burn up that 1000 to 1500 bucks real quick. Others are out there do a little checking.
You dont mention anything about gears, SYE, breaks, driveshafts, spare with bigger/stronger carrier or other upgrades that go along with installing 35s on a TJ.
You mention it sees alot of highway/DD, could I recomend the BFG AT if your spending most of the time on the road 70% or more.
Are you going to be doing the work or is a local shop?

Yes if you should install 35" tires on the stock axles mainly the rear dana 35 (unless it has a dana 44?) I would object to running that size of tire. I am running a total of 7.5" of suspesion lift and another 1" Body and still running 33" tires until I can afford to Yank the Dana 35 out and get a stronger Axle...

Although you can Run 35" tires on the stock Axles I would not do so...

Thats just My Opinion...

JeeperG

smithmonsters

Holly hell. I should have bought another TRD tacoma. Didnt think id have to buy a whole new drive terrain to put a small lift on it. How do you guys afford these heeps? I had a 6 cyl TRD yota with 35 in bfg m/t's 6 in trailmaster lift and flowmaster exh, didnt have to do anything to it. when i sold it it had 60 k miles. never broke, drove perfect. could burn out at stop lights, beat powerstroke diesls. all kinds of stuff. maybe i should have looked more into jeeps. How do you tell if they have a d 44? Anything else i need to know?

smithmonsters

Ill probably install it. I've done a couple lifts including an 8'' rock ready on a cheroke, lift/ body lift on my yota,springs on cars, crap like that.Some places will do it free if i buy the rims and tires from them also. Had someone do my cj lift cuz there was axles shackle reversals and other stuff i felt like paying the guys at mepco to do. I dont have a welder. I didnt mean i drive mostly highway i just ment i will drive it to st george a few times, maybe to moab a time or two. what do you guys think is the best shop to buy from? UT slc

Jeeptj98

smithmonsters said:
I just bought a 2000 tj. I am going to lift it and want to know who makes a good lift. ( had a 98 yota w/trail master and it sucked)I plan to mostly city drive but will go wheeling and i drive to st george sometimes. I want to put 35 x terrans or something close to them.(BFG's muds or goodyears mtr) Should i go 4 in lift and some body lift or spend the money and get a 5.5 or something. Dont want to spend more than 1000 or 1500 bucks. If anyone knows if X-terrans are any good ,noisy, or wear good. What do you think?

Thanks

Talk to Brandon (SukaB) at anarchyoffroad.com he does great work. He is in Sandy. :cool:

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
If you really want to put 35s on your TJ, I recommend a lift of 4." or more. Additionally, I recommend that you do it right the first time, and don't go with anything less than a high quality lift. Rubicon Express tops my list, but RockLogic (Ilean or Vonski) and Anarchy Offroad (SukaB) do great work. I strongly recommend you go with a longarm kit. A longarm kit is far superior to a short arm kit for on-road ride quality and off-road ability. Unfortunately, $1500 isn't going to get you into a rubicon express long arm kit (and it may or may not get you into a longarm kit from either of the two shops above)
Other items you need to consider are a slip yoke eliminator with a new rear driveline. This is going to set you back anywhere from $300 to $500 depending on what you get and who you order it from.
Depending on what gears you currently have, I also recommend changing them. I have 4.10s, but I wish I would have gone with at least 4.56, and when I build my new axles (one of these days....), I will likely go with 4.88s. You really lose a lot of torque when moving up to the taller tires, and 3.73s just don't cut it in my book.
So, while we're thinking about gears, D30/D35 combinations require a different carrier when you go to the 4.10s (or 4.56, 4.88, etc. someone correct me if I'm wrong here), so you might as well just drop the money on the lockers of your choice (here's another $1000 - $1500 or so).

Oh yeah...if you do have the D35 (diff cover is oval in comparison to the D44 which looks a bit more like a stop sign), you'll really want to re-think putting 35s on it right away. I know people who have run 35s with the stock D35, but they always carried spare axle shafts and I know one guy who broke and had to do an on-trail repair at least once (and maybe twice, although i was only present for one of them). Of course, if you plan to mostly drive it on the street, D35 with 35" tires won't really cause you too many problems. It is only when you start crawling that you will get into trouble.

They weren't kidding when they posted Just Empty Every Pocket. Although the wrangler is a fairly capable vehicle in stock form, locked diffs and larger tires (with appropriate lift) really enhance its off-road performance.

Good luck!

parks_pop

I would recommend the new Tuff Country long arm kit. I put it on with my Skyjacker 6" coils and it works great. The price is right also. (Especially for me) :D
I am running 35's with 4.88 gears, a super 35 kit with a detroit in the rear. I have a K&N FIPK kit and a Deltaflow exhaust.
Was it cheap??? NO!
Was it worth it to spank an IFS Toyota???? YES! ;)

jeepinkeller

[QUOTE How do you tell if they have a d 44? [/QUOTE]

Also look at the drain plugs on the pumpkin, if the drain pllug is plastic, its a dana 35, if the plus is metal its a d44. I would NOT run 35's on the dana 35 axle, youre just asking for trouble if you do

Last edited:
P

pokeyYJ

I would say that all you need is a 4" lift to clear 35's. My dad's Rubi is running the junk Tera 4" long-arm with 35x12.5 MTR's on a 15x10 rim, we had to extend the front bumpstops a little bit to keep the tires out of the fenders but it works great. A close friend of mine, (caste) is running the Anarchy 4" long arm with 35's on 15x8 rims and they don't rub at all. But he also has a currie anit-rock sway bar up front.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
smithmonsters said:
Holly hell. I should have bought another TRD tacoma. Didnt think id have to buy a whole new drive terrain to put a small lift on it. How do you guys afford these heeps? I had a 6 cyl TRD yota with 35 in bfg m/t's 6 in trailmaster lift and flowmaster exh, didnt have to do anything to it. when i sold it it had 60 k miles. never broke, drove perfect. could burn out at stop lights, beat powerstroke diesls. all kinds of stuff. maybe i should have looked more into jeeps. How do you tell if they have a d 44? Anything else i need to know?
"Real jeeps are built not bought" Isn't just a cute saying it's a warning label. :D :rofl: :rofl: