Wanted: Offroad trailer or the parts to build one

sixstringsteve

I think it's time to build a little trailer. I don't need anything fancy. I'd like it to be able to handle long bumpy dirt roads like the white rim trail, pony express, or Kokopelli. I'm not planning on rockcrawling with it. I mainly need it to haul stuff around like small furniture, bikes, my inflatable kayaks, etc. This trailer will not be doing with me on all my adventures, just a few a year.

If possible, I'd like it to have 6 lug hubs so I can swap my existing toyota wheels & tires to it, and so I'll only have to carry one spare. I like the idea of converting an old pickup into a trailer (extra points for an old toyota bed). I dig these ones:

1st%2520gen%2520trailer.jpg

trailer%25201.jpg

trailer%25202.jpg

Matching82-83trailer005.jpg

Truckntrailer1.jpg

T3.jpg

Cheap price trumps quality and features. 1st gen toyota pickup bed pretty much trumps everything else. :) Let me know what you've got.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
With a trailer axle, a change of lug pattern is as easy as buying new wheel hubs with the desired pattern. That's the reason I chose a 3500 lb axle on my little trailer, to make sure I had the option to go 6 lug in the future.

That little green trailer you pictured--there is nothing to that one. Makes me wonder if the main box was originally for some other purpose?

sixstringsteve

Ive been less than $400-$500 for trailers I build from scratch.. why not just make one?

I didn't realize they could be had that cheap.

What's the advantage of a trailer axle over something like an old toyota mini truck axle? I realize the weight will be more, especially with the third in there, but rear yota axles are dirt cheap.

sixstringsteve

Hm... that's not bad at all.

$50-100, but that doesn't include springs (which are usually super cheap anyway). I think i'd rather use YJ springs, or something similar that's longer than traditional trailer springs. Short trailer springs seem bouncy.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I was going to build a tear-drop this Winter, but abandoned the idea... I have 3, 15" Soft 8 black wheels in a 6 lug pattern that are brand new I was going to use. Since I'm not, I need to sell them... FYI :D

sixstringsteve

Hm... good to know. I've got 2 17" 4runner wheels with the same tire size as my current runner, so I'll probably use those.

Box Rocket

bored
Steve, I'm using trailer springs on my trailer and yeah they're stiff but have worked great. I run pretty low pressure in the tires (like 10-12psi) most of the time and my trailer is not bouncy. But if you have access to some other springs then go for it.

I got my built to spec axle from Henderson Wheel in SLC for $115. That was for a 3500# axle, 6 lug hubs and springs, no brakes.

Depending on how you build it you can keep it pretty cheap but IMO $400-500 is on the low side. IIRC I spent roughly $275 for the steel I used on mine including the 16 ga. skins. Then the axle for $115. I dropped another couple hundred bucks on matching FZJ80 wheels, but that's an avoidable cost if you already have something. I had tires already, but you need to consider that cost. I spent another couple hundred on a 3-axis hitch. You might be able to get away with using a standard ball hitch but I wouldn't. Then you've got welding consumables. Bedliner? When all was said and done I think my final cost when I completed the initial build of my trailer I was into it about $1500. A bit more has gone into it over the years with a RTT etc but they can definitely be built cheap and often for less than buying one and you can make it they way you want it.

I think an early 1st gen hook-side truck bed trailer would be sweet and would work really well. Finding a clean one could be difficult but it would still be sweet. I would still suggest a trailer axle over the Toyota axle, not only for the weight but also for the under axle clearance. A trailer is already going to be somewhat of an anchor your dragging behind you. No reason to make it more so by have an diff that can get hung up on stuff. It also allows a better possibility of tucking a spare tire up under the tub or maybe a water tank. The diff could get in the way of that.

Here's how my trailer was when the initial build was complete. This was what I had for ~$1500

And I know you've seen it more recently but it has evolved a bit.

sixstringsteve

Sweet, thanks for the info adam. I've got wheels and tires but that's it. How does the 10 psi affect mpg? I realize mpg isn't great when towing a trailer anyway, but I'd rather not have it plummet. With the v8 in the lighter runner, im guessing I won't feel it back there.

Box Rocket

bored
Mike at Metric Offroad in Grand Junction might be worth calling. He has many parts trucks. I got the leather seats for my new 80 from him. It is very possible that he will have a early truck bed you could use. I'm almost positive I saw a Tacoma bed (shortbed) in good condition in the yard when I was down there.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Adam I didn't realize the $1500 included cost for wheels and tires. That makes me even happier since I've already got spares of those sitting on the side of the house. I'm going to need to corner you again for a few more questions before I start buying metal here in the next little bit.

I guess I jumped the gun on your metal saw Steve didn't I. I won't be offended if you tell me you changed your mind and want to buy it back.

sixstringsteve

I guess I jumped the gun on your metal saw Steve didn't I. I won't be offended if you tell me you changed your mind and want to buy it back.

not at all, i didn't know I wanted a trailer 'till yesterday. I may swing by and borrow it for a few cuts one night. ;)